Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:04 PM

26 posts, read 90,931 times

Advertisements

If you were moving to CO and had to choose between these two areas, which would it be and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 06:07 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Both are nice areas. I'd live closer to work.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:08 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
I would personally choose Highlands Ranch because everything is newer and seems nicer, also it's farther away from Boulder

Would also depend on where my job was to be closer, those areas are pretty far apart

Old 05-02-2011, 06:13 PM

26 posts, read 90,931 times
Is Boulder not that nice of area?

Old 05-02-2011, 06:16 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
Depends on what you like, it's nice as in like clean. It's very expensive and a big hippy area, like a mini San Francisco

Old 05-02-2011, 07:02 PM

664 posts, read 2,065,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Both are nice areas. I'd live closer to work.
That's the best advice - if you work in Broomfield don't live in Highlands Ranch and vice versa.

If you worked equidistant from both, I prefer Highlands Ranch - not a big Broomfield fan.

Last edited by chilicheesefries; 05-02-2011 at 07:14 PM..

Old 05-02-2011, 07:24 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
You are going to get replies based on where people live and based on that alone, that feedback is incredibly subjective and not input I would take seriously. If you tell us more detailed information about what you and your family are seeking that would be helpful.

Yes, it should be based on where work is. If work is at home and everything is equal, I, personally, would choose Broomfield hands down as it's closer to the mountains with incredible views, very close to Boulder -- which in my book is worth A LOT as Boulder terrific and considerably more unique than Denver -- and quicker to downtown Denver than HR -- and I have commuted from both.

Also, HR isn't ANY newer than Broomfield; if 'new' is important, Broomfield has dozens of new communities that are being built currently and new retail and parks going in constantly.

Again, more info on what you are looking for would help us better determine what could suit you best.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I would personally choose Highlands Ranch because everything is newer and seems nicer, also it's farther away from Boulder

Would also depend on where my job was to be closer, those areas are pretty far apart

Old 05-02-2011, 09:54 PM

664 posts, read 2,065,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
You are going to get replies based on where people live and based on that alone, that feedback is incredibly subjective and not input I would take seriously. If you tell us more detailed information about what you and your family are seeking that would be helpful.

Yes, it should be based on where work is. If work is at home and everything is equal, I, personally, would choose Broomfield hands down as it's closer to the mountains with incredible views, very close to Boulder -- which in my book is worth A LOT as Boulder terrific and considerably more unique than Denver -- and quicker to downtown Denver than HR -- and I have commuted from both.

Also, HR isn't ANY newer than Broomfield; if 'new' is important, Broomfield has dozens of new communities that are being built currently and new retail and parks going in constantly.

Again, more info on what you are looking for would help us better determine what could suit you best.
That is a very good point - it is incredibly subjective and most posts here are very subjective. Even yours tilts towards Broomfield because of your criteria. I would hands down chose Highlands Ranch if I worked from home. With that in mind it would be quite helpful to know what you are looking for. I provide some objective points to that effect:

1)Drive to downtown - depends on where you live. There are places in Broomfield closer/quicker than in HR and there are places in HR closer/quicker than Broomfield. Broomfield probably has the overall advantage if you're commuting but if you're making the occasional night out HR has light rail access and the driving time isn't enough to make a big difference.

2)Drive to Boulder - Broomfield is much closer so those who live in HR probably don't consider this important. Likewise HR is closer to Colorado Springs and other places south.

3)Drive to mountains - to get from Broomfield to mountains is closer but to get from Broomfield or Highlands Ranch to the I-70 corridor is about equal.

4)Schools - hard to generalize because Broomfield is in several districts.

5)Shopping - both are quite close to the 2 premier shopping centers in the area. Sales tax is cheaper in HR and at Park Meadows than in Broomfield and at Flatiron Crossing. Also Broomfield seems to have a sales tax on food while HR doesn't.

6)Entertainment - Broomfield has the events center so it wins this one

7)Recreation - both have great outdoor recreation opportunities. HR is closer Chatfield.

8)Libraries - Douglas County libraries is bigger and has larger collection. Broomfield is part of Prospector so it has access through this service to a larger collection.

9)Property taxes - ?

10)Age of houses - Broomfield has an established core while HR doesn't. Both have new housing still going up.

11)Crime - pretty non-existant in either.

That my attempt to be objective. Overall they're similar and could be maybe as close to mirror images (one on north side and one on south side) as you will find. I admit to being a bit biased as a south sider but I've been to Broomfield many times and I always get more of a busier/congested feel there and find it's harder to get around. Again it depends on what you are looking for.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:47 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
10)Age of houses - Broomfield has an established core while HR doesn't. Both have new housing still going up.
How long does housing have to be around for it to be established? Parts of HR have been around for nearly 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver