Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:58 AM

431 posts, read 982,772 times

Advertisements

We're in the Denver area for the week looking for housing, and i was curious about something. We're looking to move in mid-July, but all of the rentals on Craigslist are all available in 7 days. How are we supposed to find something for a July move in when agents/owners wait till a week before the unit is available to advertise it? We're going to be stuck renting an overpriced apartment for a year, they all have a slew of fees and charges just to move in. I understand they want to show the home when no tenants are there, is that the only reason? We're very frustrated at this point, we only have 2 days left here in Denver before we fly home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 10:37 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
Read this thread: Rental market is HOT!.

Basic supply and demand.

Best thing would be to come here, stay in a hotel for a few days while you look for housing, then grab something that's immediately available.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Read this thread: Rental market is HOT!.

Basic supply and demand.

Best thing would be to come here, stay in a hotel for a few days while you look for housing, then grab something that's immediately available.
I did read that thread a few weeks ago. I don't think I'd be able to move across the country without first having a place to live, it would just be too stressful. Plus, we can only keep the Uhaul for so many days before they start charging us a ton of money for returning it back late. Thanks for the suggestion though, I think we'll just end up in an apartment until we can find a house.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:48 AM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
Because most renters give 30 day notice, not 60 day notice. So you won't see July rentals advertised until mid- late June.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Because most renters give 30 day notice, not 60 day notice. So you won't see July rentals advertised until mis- late June.
All the apartments we've lived at in FL and NC all did 60 day notices, so I guess we just assumed that other places did the same. Lesson learned.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:58 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,062,612 times
If you find a house you really like but the lease starts in June I would jump on it an pay the extra rent for a good place to live.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
If you find a house you really like but the lease starts in June I would jump on it an pay the extra rent for a good place to live.
That's like throwing away close to two grand, not something I'm willing to do.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:57 PM

6,812 posts, read 9,363,742 times
I don't know where you're looking or how much you want to spend, but I noticed a 'for rent' sign on a townhome in the Cherry Creek area, near Alameda and Monroe. If you're here, check it out.

note: I mentioned a townhome on Monroe to someone on here a few months ago -- and just to clarify, this is a different townhome, but on the same street.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:46 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,891,633 times
Being a landlord elsewhere I will tell you why. Even if the current tenants theoretically agree to showings they often make things a nightmare. They will insist on notice and then just not answer the phone. Or they will be around and prospects ask them something and they rarely will say anything nice. Last vacanc I dealt with I had to deal with tenants telling lookers they found a great deal close by for the same rent. I didn't get the place rented until they moved out and I was able to clean it out. So those notice periods don't do a landlord much other than get things in motion, but takes an extremely tight market or a fantastic tenant to get it done seamlessly.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:42 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Being a landlord elsewhere I will tell you why. Even if the current tenants theoretically agree to showings they often make things a nightmare. They will insist on notice and then just not answer the phone. Or they will be around and prospects ask them something and they rarely will say anything nice. Last vacanc I dealt with I had to deal with tenants telling lookers they found a great deal close by for the same rent. I didn't get the place rented until they moved out and I was able to clean it out. So those notice periods don't do a landlord much other than get things in motion, but takes an extremely tight market or a fantastic tenant to get it done seamlessly.
That's definitely true. I was looking at a condo unit for rent last year, and the tenants were right there when I visited-- cooking up some kind of smelly food, 2 children running around, tons of their pictures hanging on the walls all over the place and huge religious ornaments on the wall-- instant turn off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: