Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 01:17 PM

9 posts, read 17,458 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone happened to have ideas for hourly jobs around Denver that would be suitable for an art person.

I have a Bachelor's degree in art with a minor in photography, though I don't really like typical photography. I have some graphic design experience from school, but I don't know anything about web design. I'm very friendly, but introverted. I would prefer not being in a job where I was constantly bombarded with customers. I'm looking for a steady income to support myself while I build my portfolio and try to get my work out in Denver. I would really like a job that challenges me and lets me use my creative skills. I would like to make at least $10 an hour, and would prefer something closer to the Berkeley neighborhood. I am spending over $200 on gas right now with my current job.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 09:17 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
It sounds like Graphic Artist is the right job for you, I'd say take some UI, flash and html courses to get into that. You won't have to deal with many people at all, could even work from home and the pay is higher than 10/hr.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 AM

Cool. I've been thinking about that. Thanks

Old 09-10-2011, 10:34 AM

24 posts, read 96,734 times
If you are good at classic art forms and digital photography, you may consider a high school teaching job. You have better chances with charter and private schools as there are generally higher churns. Depending on the size of the school, the job may be part time. But you get reasonable pay, stability, and possibly insurance too.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:59 AM

Can anyone recommend a good graphic design program? I'm going to look into the one at Colorado State University. I don't want to pay the expensive tuition of the Art Institute and the like, especially since I am $50,000 in debt from my bachelor's degree.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:29 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
My sister pretty much had to buy a Mac and learn how to do graphic design in order to pay the bills and support herself, so you'll probably have to go that road, as well. Might not be as artistic or interesting as you would like, but at least it's a good, portable skill to have.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 PM

164 posts, read 596,232 times
I am an art nerd with an Art History degree with a minor in Studio Art and have found non-artistic work at a car dealership. Results may vary. There may be work at the DIA as a museum guard or gallery assistant. Or there may be work at DIA as a guard or travelers' assistant. At my employer we do have a photographer who went to school for it, and you never know what industry may have work for your skills. When I first arrived I applied and was offered a job at a dog magazine publishing company for about $7/hr.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:38 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
Default Artist Overload

There are far too many art schools here and not many art jobs...all the students want to stay. There just isn't a big advertising scene here either.

Most art jobs want you to be proficient in the CS3 suite and web development....for $12.00/hr. I worked for a publisher for 9+ years, was making $20.50/hr but they outsourced the jobs to India recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver