Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 03:10 AM

6 posts, read 10,481 times

Advertisements

Hey folks!

Okay so, here's the thing...
I'm a 20 y/o male living in Atlanta with some family while going to school full time, working part time. After being here almost 2 years, my plans are not working out quit like I expected. I have nothing keeping me here in Georgia, & I've always wanted to live in Denver. I feel like NOW is the time, while I have nothing to lose.
I've already applied to a few 2 year schools for the fall ('12) & I am looking into housing options also. I hope to gain residency after a year or so & then finish up at CSU or UC.
Something to note is that I would be alone - my closest relative being in San Diego.
However, I do have a car, & my job (Barnes & Noble) has a few stores in the Denver area that I am looking to transfer to.
I am quite determined & very resourceful. Definitely not afraid or unfimiliar with "ruffing it."
My hope is to rent a room, work part time, & take a few classes just to pass the time.

What are your thoughts???
I haven't written anything in stone yet, but I believe that I can do this!
Most of all, I don't see what's holding me back.

I appreciate any/all advice!

(Btw, I'll be spending a few days in the area next week on a trip to Breckenridge)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 07:06 PM

129 posts, read 212,011 times
Not sure what you want to know.... Sounds like you got it covered, you can find a room in a house, you'll have a job, and a car. Plus, there's plenty of young people here, so it should be a breeze.... A word of warning, you'll have to learn to drive way slower than you're used to in the A; I moved here from there, and am lucky I got no speeding tickets the first couple weeks, as people here drive at the most 5 or 10mph over the limit, not 20-30-40 mph like Atlanta!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:45 AM

792 posts, read 2,875,249 times
Just be sure to check out the area where you would be living to see if you like the place in reality, not just as you imagine it to be. I think some people think they will be living in the mountains when they move to Denver. No sir, you will not. And make sure you have enough savings to cover/cushion the moving expenses and job search. Other than that, I think you're right. At 20 there are no wrong moves.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphillyated View Post
What are your thoughts???
Go for it. Colorado - particularly Denver - is a great place to live.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:06 AM

57 posts, read 138,737 times
Like a famous shoemaker once said; Just do it! If you are currently in a place that you cannot envision living for the long term, and there are no serious ties, what is stopping you? You only live once - make sure to listen to your gut, else you will like with regrets down the road.

You can always move back home if things take a turn for the worst...

Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 PM

205 posts, read 503,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncmaster414 View Post
Like a famous shoemaker once said; Just do it! If you are currently in a place that you cannot envision living for the long term, and there are no serious ties, what is stopping you? You only live once - make sure to listen to your gut, else you will like with regrets down the road.

You can always move back home if things take a turn for the worst...
Or move someplace else. If I could go back in time, I'd follow the famous shoemaker too and try out different places to live. To the OP, this is the perfect time in your life to move around and see where you really enjoy living. If it's Denver, you stay, if not you found out when it's easy for you to move again.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 PM

23 posts, read 41,232 times
We've been in Atlanta since February 2010 from Denver. We've had enough of Atlanta. Being originally from Florida we figured it would be great to move here and drive down to Tampa to visit family on occasion. Unfortunately since we've been here It's been a constant struggle. The crime, summer humidity that never seems to end, bugs (no explanation needed I'm sure), the constant nerve racking traffic, the distance to get anywhere, the awful public transportation, poor pay, bad park system, and the terrible schools we're going back to Denver in less than 2 weeks.

Denver is so much more of a pleasant place to live. The cost of living while a little bit higher, the quality of living more than makes up for it. If you like peacefulness you'll really enjoy Denver. If you like to be close to nature you'll adore Denver. One of the other responders mentioned the speeding thing coming from Atlanta and I'll definitely agree with that. People in Atlanta will run you off of the road because their always in a rush, but Denver is a slower pace for sure. Watch the Colorado Highway Patrol. They have nothing better to do apparently but to sit on the side of the interstate running radar or laser.

Remember to take it easy the first few days because of the altitude....you'll probably be out of breath pretty easily. Have fun and I'm sure you'll never look back.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:53 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphillyated View Post
Hey folks!

I've already applied to a few 2 year schools for the fall ('12) & I am looking into housing options also. I hope to gain residency after a year or so & then finish up at CSU or UC.
A word of warning - schools do not like to grant residency if THEY determine you are in the state because of school. You may want to coordinate ahead of time with the schools to see how they will handle this (get it in writing) and you may even consider taking a semester off.

Other than that, you are at the perfect age to do something like this so make the most of it!

Old 02-03-2012, 03:08 PM

51 posts, read 81,499 times
I'm 21 thinking of moving to Denver alone as well. I will be moving with an associates and am looking to go back to school after residency.. Colorado that tough on it? I know California is..gta be there for two years, and gotta be 24 to be claimed independent.. wonder if the 24 thing is for just California.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Old 02-03-2012, 03:10 PM

51 posts, read 81,499 times
Also how is Colorado's educational budget costs?..any steep hikes in tuition?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: