Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 10:04 AM

3 posts, read 3,001 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I may be moving to the Denver area in the fall for grad school, if I get into and decide on U. Denver. I have a friend who lives in Boulder, who gave me a very vague idea of what that area is like, but I'm looking for more specific input about neighborhoods (safety, things to do), rent, pet friendly-ness, job availability...and SNOWFALL!

I'm from Western MA, so i'm used to snow and cold and endless winter, but from what I understand, CO tends to get just a *bit* more snow than we do ;-). I'm really not a winter person, but UD has the program I really want so I will try to suck it up - I just want to be prepared. Could anyone give me an average temp range from the coldest part of winter in Denver, and an idea of how much snow you get? Also, when does winter start to fade? March-April-ish?

I don't know the first thing about the area around UD, but I'd be looking for an apartment to rent with my boyfriend and our cats, somewhere in the $600-900 price range. My biggest concern is safety. After that, I'd be interested in things to do around the area. Right now where I live there's literally nothing within an hour of us, so anything to do there is great (bars, restaurants, movies, etc). My only preference is that it's not TOTALLY crazy...we're in our mid and late twenties and don't really want the college kid party scene. I'm ok with a commute of up to maybe 30 minutes to the school. My bf is a cook/sous-chef, so he'd need to find a job out there...are there a number of (and decent) restaurants in a 10-20 mile radius of the school? I probably wouldn't be able to work while in school but I'm going for an MSW, so after graduation if I were to stay in the area...are there many human service or mental health agencies around?

Last question...aside from the college kids, is there a good size population of young adults (20-30)? Socializing isn't priority, but it would be nice.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 10:35 AM

17,714 posts, read 29,849,261 times
Default Snow

1. Do not worry about Winter and snow. I grew up in the Northeast and the snowfall in Denver is nothing. For example, we had 10+ inches on Friday and the street in front of my house is dry.

2. There are hundreds of restaurants within a 5 mile radius of DU. Play with Restaurants Denver
DU is only 5 miles from the center of Denver.

3. The DU is quite nice. Yes, there is some crappy student rental housing, but it is not extensive. The ZIP code is 80210.

4. Your price point is going to be tough.
Denver-area apartment vacancies hit 12-year low for Q4 - Denver Business Journal
Use PadMapper.com to start looking.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:50 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,037,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemk12 View Post
Hi everyone!

I may be moving to the Denver area in the fall for grad school, if I get into and decide on U. Denver. I have a friend who lives in Boulder, who gave me a very vague idea of what that area is like, but I'm looking for more specific input about neighborhoods (safety, things to do), rent, pet friendly-ness, job availability...and SNOWFALL!

I'm from Western MA, so i'm used to snow and cold and endless winter, but from what I understand, CO tends to get just a *bit* more snow than we do ;-). I'm really not a winter person, but UD has the program I really want so I will try to suck it up - I just want to be prepared. Could anyone give me an average temp range from the coldest part of winter in Denver, and an idea of how much snow you get? Also, when does winter start to fade? March-April-ish?

I don't know the first thing about the area around UD, but I'd be looking for an apartment to rent with my boyfriend and our cats, somewhere in the $600-900 price range. My biggest concern is safety. After that, I'd be interested in things to do around the area. Right now where I live there's literally nothing within an hour of us, so anything to do there is great (bars, restaurants, movies, etc). My only preference is that it's not TOTALLY crazy...we're in our mid and late twenties and don't really want the college kid party scene. I'm ok with a commute of up to maybe 30 minutes to the school. My bf is a cook/sous-chef, so he'd need to find a job out there...are there a number of (and decent) restaurants in a 10-20 mile radius of the school? I probably wouldn't be able to work while in school but I'm going for an MSW, so after graduation if I were to stay in the area...are there many human service or mental health agencies around?

Last question...aside from the college kids, is there a good size population of young adults (20-30)? Socializing isn't priority, but it would be nice.

Thanks for your help!
On Buchtel Blvd. between University Blvd. and High St. there are some high-rise apartment buildings filled with DU students. Best part they are right across the street from the campus, and next to the light rail station. That location would offer all of the conveniences that you are looking for, with a zero commute time to the campus, and lots of restaurants near by. The area is as safe or safer then any major university campus.

University of Denver - Google Maps

Old 02-05-2012, 02:01 PM

6,814 posts, read 9,368,031 times
The area around DU is nice and is safe for the most part. There was a crime issue a few years ago that involved a person breaking into apartments and stealing cash (or something like that), but I think that person was caught. Crime like that isn't normal for that area.

If you want a quieter, more suburban type of feel, you could always look in neighborhoods a bit farther from DU, but still close enough for a reasonable commute, like Virginia Village, Washington-Virginia Vale, Cory-Merrill (though not sure you would find what you want in your price range), etc.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Do not worry about Winter and snow. I grew up in the Northeast and the snowfall in Denver is nothing. For example, we had 10+ inches on Friday and the street in front of my house is dry.

2. There are hundreds of restaurants within a 5 mile radius of DU. Play with Restaurants Denver
DU is only 5 miles from the center of Denver.

3. The DU is quite nice. Yes, there is some crappy student rental housing, but it is not extensive. The ZIP code is 80210.

4. Your price point is going to be tough.
Denver-area apartment vacancies hit 12-year low for Q4 - Denver Business Journal
Use PadMapper.com to start looking.
My daughter lived near DU for three years while she was in grad school at the health science center. I agree with 1,2, and 3, but re: #4, at the higher end of the OP's price range I think she could find something nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
The area around DU is nice and is safe for the most part. There was a crime issue a few years ago that involved a person breaking into apartments and stealing cash (or something like that), but I think that person was caught. Crime like that isn't normal for that area.

If you want a quieter, more suburban type of feel, you could always look in neighborhoods a bit farther from DU, but still close enough for a reasonable commute, like Virginia Village, Washington-Virginia Vale, Cory-Merrill (though not sure you would find what you want in your price range), etc.
I heard (never read anything officially) that in the above referenced crime spree, the person was entering unlocked apartments. My daughter had no problems, even though she lived in that area and had to park her car behind her building off an alley.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,001 times
Thanks for the responses guys! To give a little more clarification, 700-900 is my price range for the two of us. However, we're not opposed to getting a room-mate...so, in that case, a higher overall rent would be ok. Does that expand my options?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver