Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,650 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an apartment in the downtown area but the only areas that look to be affordable right now are Capitol Hill and the 5 Points area. Would either of those areas be safe enough for me to live in an apartment alone? I am a 21 yr old female and I would be coming home at night alone a lot of the time. I guess I'm mostly concerned about being approached by creepy men (because that happens to me where I live now already). I grew up and live in Aurora now so I don't know realistically what it's like to live in Denver, I only know the stereotypes. I'm not a complete girly girl, I can handle myself in dangerous situations but I don't want to be putting myself somewhere where I'm going to be dealing with that on a constant basis. Any input?? Or any other suggestions of areas that would be close to downtown w/a good price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 05:32 PM

214 posts, read 241,804 times
Anywhere in Capitol Hill would be fine. Go a little further down from Colfax like 12th street to 6th street and you would be fine. I use to live in Uptown on the other side of Crackfax, I mean Colfax. That area sucked. I am not gay, and there was nothing but gay bars and it was close to the UnSafeway near five points. If you are in Capitol Hill there are so many other people on the streets you should be fine. Also consider the Cheesman Park area. I guess that area is a gay area. However, for a single girl you would probably feel safer there.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:29 PM

271 posts, read 1,380,809 times
RowJimmy probably means 12th-6th Avenue, not Street. Five Points used to have a bad reputation, but it has been gentrified considerably in recent years.

Something else to consider would be an apartment close to a light rail stop, because then you can just ride to downtown in short order & live in a somewhat quieter/safer area. Try Platte Park or Wash Park.

Really depends more on your budget than anything else.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:02 PM

48 posts, read 180,718 times
I would also consider Congress Park. Congress Park is east of York and is in part of the Colfax Redevelopment area. Tattered Cover bookstore came in at Colfax and Elizabeth and this area is now a really cool place to live and is still really affordable. There are tons of rentals in the area still and it is very safe. The Bluebird Beat (Colfax from York to Colorado) has cleaned up considerably and is now considered "one of the hottest zip codes in Denver." The zip is 80206.

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2007, 03:55 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
I second that on Congress Park. It's a good neighborhood, and the rents are much, much cheaper than if you head south from there, towards Cherry Creek. I've always thought great things about the neighborhood, but it's not walkable to downtown, if that's what you want.

I think that Cap Hill has a lot fewer creeps in its southern portion, around the Governors Mansion. (The mansion itself is at 8th & Pennsylvania). The rents are slightly more there, but still reasonable, all things considered. And you can still walk downtown there, though it'd be about 10 blocks or so.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,040 times
hey! ok heres my little story...i'm a 26 year old female, i live in san diego at the moment. July i'm heading out to denver!!! Super stoked!! I'm looking to move to a spot that's in the scene but not on top of it. Any suggestions???!!!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:54 PM

36 posts, read 99,684 times
angela26

Hey, I am too living in san diego and thinking of moving out to denver this summer. I lived there for a summer and think that capitol hill, cherry creek area is the best for someone our age..

Old 02-02-2008, 08:24 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela26 View Post
hey! ok heres my little story...i'm a 26 year old female, i live in san diego at the moment. July i'm heading out to denver!!! Super stoked!! I'm looking to move to a spot that's in the scene but not on top of it. Any suggestions???!!!
Capitol Hill, Cheesman Park are good bets for those on a budget in addition to being within walking/biking/bus distance from downtown. Cherry Creek is super expensive; not worth it in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: