Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:50 PM

11 posts, read 28,379 times

Advertisements

The University of Colorado Denver is on my short list of schools to transfer to, but from all my research, it looks like the on-campus living options (The Inn, Campus Village, The Regency) are known for crime and money-grubbing landlords.

I don't plan to bring a car, but I probably could if I can't find a place that's either right around LoDo or has very good access to public transportation.

I'd love to live downtown, but I'm a typical struggling student and money is an issue. The Inn at Auraria seems to have the best deal, but of course also has the worst reputation. If downtown won't work, I'm okay with something with a commute (since it's primarily a commuter school anyway), hopefully no more than 15-20 minutes max.

I'm a (very, very) white guy, no problem with diversity, vote Democrat (though arguing with conservatives is a hobby of mine), looking for something fairly priced--$750 monthly would really be pushing it--and above all away from violence.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 03:19 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawn View Post
The University of Colorado Denver is on my short list of schools to transfer to, but from all my research, it looks like the on-campus living options (The Inn, Campus Village, The Regency) are known for crime and money-grubbing landlords.

I don't plan to bring a car, but I probably could if I can't find a place that's either right around LoDo or has very good access to public transportation.

I'd love to live downtown, but I'm a typical struggling student and money is an issue. The Inn at Auraria seems to have the best deal, but of course also has the worst reputation. If downtown won't work, I'm okay with something with a commute (since it's primarily a commuter school anyway), hopefully no more than 15-20 minutes max.
The Auraria Campus is served by several RTD light rail stations. Which is probably how you will want to commute. So you can live anywhere thats close to a light rail station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawn View Post
I'm a (very, very) white guy, no problem with diversity, vote Democrat (though arguing with conservatives is a hobby of mine), looking for something fairly priced--$750 monthly would really be pushing it--and above all away from violence.
For $750, don't be picky. Take what you can get.

RTD

Old 04-11-2012, 03:21 PM

I don't mind if the apartment is subpar for that kind of money. I'm mostly concerned with the community.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The Auraria Campus is served by several RTD light rail stations. Which is probably how you will want to commute. So you can live anywhere thats close to a light rail station.
Any recommendations for areas and apartment complexes around the RTD rail stations?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
If you're an out-of-state student it would be both a major financial and a career mistake coming here, paying the sky-high out-of-state tuition to attend CU Denver. The main flagship school is in Boulder, a college town about 30-45min away from downtown Denver. CU Boulder is a destination for out of state students. CU Denver is not. Practically every employer in Denver and the Front Range comes to CU Boulder to recruit. Only a fraction of those come to the Auraria campus. It's an okay school for working adults who live in Denver and want to take night/ weekend/ online classes. Even though there are a lot of overlapping programs that both CU Boulder and CU Denver have, it's not the same college, just different campuses, as some people mistakenly believe. It's one university, but completely different colleges with different faculty, administration, curriculum, school names, school rankings and reputations, and accreditations.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 AM

Yep, I'm aware. But going into Audio Engineering, no matter where it is, is a bit of a career mistake as it is.

I'm okay with taking my chances. Personal merit is how I've gotten through similar situations; it's all what you make of it.

Last edited by Jawn; 04-12-2012 at 07:36 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 10:50 AM

48 posts, read 101,984 times
Check out the Highlands area. 3151 Eliot St APT C, Denver, CO 80211 - Zillow

There are bus routes along Speer Blvd that run right into Auraria campus, and as a student you actually get a relatively affordable RTD Pass. Also, probably a 5 min bike ride to Auraria campus from the link above...And it's a great area, great community.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM

864 posts, read 1,454,737 times
I know you aren't here to ask about CU Denver, but don't listen to those who try to imply it's a sub-par school. I'm just finishing up my first year there, and it's a GREAT school. I was valedictorian of a class of 650 and I had my CHOICE of schools to go to (accepted by 6 major universities). I *chose* CU Denver, and am VERY happy with my choice.

I can't help you with housing though...I live here in the Denver metro and commute from home. You do get an RTD pass for free (well, not technically free because you are paying for it as part of your mandatory fees when you pay your tuition). I will say that if you are close to any light rail station, you will have an easy commute (there's a light rail stop right at campus). I commute from one of the furthest out light rail stations (the Nine Mile), and from there, it takes less than 30 minutes to get to school. There are some apartments within walking distance of the 9-Mile station, but I don't know much about them. I know there are also some really nice apartments w/i walking distance of the Lincoln Station, but those would probably be out of your price range. Have you considered getting a roommate?

Good luck! If you have an questions about CU Denver, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:19 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
I know you aren't here to ask about CU Denver, but don't listen to those who try to imply it's a sub-par school. I'm just finishing up my first year there, and it's a GREAT school. I was valedictorian of a class of 650 and I had my CHOICE of schools to go to (accepted by 6 major universities). I *chose* CU Denver, and am VERY happy with my choice.

I can't help you with housing though...I live here in the Denver metro and commute from home. You do get an RTD pass for free (well, not technically free because you are paying for it as part of your mandatory fees when you pay your tuition). I will say that if you are close to any light rail station, you will have an easy commute (there's a light rail stop right at campus). I commute from one of the furthest out light rail stations (the Nine Mile), and from there, it takes less than 30 minutes to get to school. There are some apartments within walking distance of the 9-Mile station, but I don't know much about them. I know there are also some really nice apartments w/i walking distance of the Lincoln Station, but those would probably be out of your price range. Have you considered getting a roommate?

Good luck! If you have an questions about CU Denver, don't hesitate to ask.
Case in point: you live at home with your parents in Aurora and commute to school every day. Not knocking your decision at all-- I almost did the same thing (for a master's program at UCD I looked into). It's probably the smartest thing you could do financially. But you didn't move to Denver from out of state to attend UCD and pay out of state tuition (more than TWICE what in-state residents pay: see link: http://www.ucdenver.edu/student-services/resources/CostsAndFinancing/DenverCampus/StudentBilling/HowMuchDoesItCost/2011_2012Tuition/Pages/UndergraduateTuition.aspx (broken link)). And you're also not living the traditional college "on campus" life. If your parents had decided to move to say, Boston, the day after you graduated high school, would you still have chosen to go to UCD over any other school? There are really only two universities to choose from that are commutable from the SE metro area-- either DU or UCD/Metro at the Auraria campus, so the fact that you picked one out of your only two "live at home" options doesn't really say much, IMO.

OK, I'll shut up now. Just don't say ol' vegas didn't warn ya!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:21 PM

864 posts, read 1,454,737 times
Yes, it does say much. I didn't HAVE to live at home...I could have gone to Regis, DU, UC Boulder, CSU, etc. Again, I didn't HAVE to live at home. And as for living at home and commuting, I could have chosen DU, as I received a substantial scholarship from them. But I chose CU Denver because they have an EXCELLENT health sciences program...and an EXCELLENT university honors program. I have friends who go to CU Boulder and CSU...and not everyone loves those schools, even if they are attending them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver