Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:30 PM

208 posts, read 837,747 times

Advertisements

I'm THISCLOSE to moving to Denver. I'll be living in a condo downtown. What type of life should I expect? How are the people? I've only lived on the Coast all my life, with a very brief stint in Utah.
How are the people? Friendly? Nightlife? Food? Dining? Shopping? Museums?
I've read tons of stuff on the internet. But I would like to read from Denverites themselves. Compared to the Coast it seems Denver is the promise land for friendliness. I do hope this is true! It would such a breath of fresh air. Not getting the finger while in traffic would be a welcomed change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 11:59 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspyder136 View Post
Compared to the Coast it seems Denver is the promise land for friendliness.
No, it's not.

Quote:
Not getting the finger while in traffic would be a welcomed change.
I've seen and experienced numerous road rage incidents in Denver over the years. You should be on your guard here just as you would be anywhere else.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:06 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Denver CAN be very friendly. It depends a lot on you. It's not really the kind of place where people randomly start talking to you, though. In that sense, it's a little guarded...but if you're a sociable person and you like to initiate, you'll probably find a lot of people willing to open up to you.

As far as Denver drivers, they are about average. Our road system isn't really that logical much of the time and I think it confuses a lot of people. People are as in a hurry on I-25 or I-70 as they are anywhere else, and sometimes that makes people do stupid or rude things. On the other hand, it doesn't seem any worse to me than Kansas City or L.A. on that front...I found Phoenix to be the most road rage city I've lived in. Even seen guns drawn. Haven't seen anything like that here.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:55 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Denver is hipper than Utah.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:36 AM

352 posts, read 797,709 times
OP, which "coast" are you talking about? There are two of them, after all...

Old 04-28-2012, 07:56 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
What, the Gulf gets no love??? Because I'm assuming you mean East and West!!

Old 04-28-2012, 12:13 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I think you should come to check it out. If you're familiar with the Southern California beach communities, Denver is NOT anything like them, at least in terms of the crowds, hustle-and-bustle, and things to do. With that said, I love Denver, but don't hype it up too much to the point where you have an unrealistic image of it in your mind.

I lived in Southern California for a little while and actually found it easier to make friends there than I do here. People here are friendly, but more guarded. It takes time to make friends to the point where you can invite them to your house, etc. At least that's been my experience. Also, as far as things to do, I think Denver offers a lot for a city of its size, but it's still not comparable to somewhere like Los Angeles or New York, so just keep that in mind.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:27 PM

208 posts, read 837,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
What, the Gulf gets no love??? Because I'm assuming you mean East and West!!
No one ever means the Gulf when the say coast lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
I'm not telling

Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Our road system isn't really that logical much of the time and I think it confuses a lot of people.
Here is an explanation about Denver streets' naming convention.

It is not that confusing, if you know what is going on.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:02 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Here is an explanation about Denver streets' naming convention.

It is not that confusing, if you know what is going on.
Sorry...I wasn't clear on this one. You're absolutely right that the naming of the streets is fairly logical, and that post is a great explanation.

I was referring more to how our grid is frequently interrupted by railways, rivers and creeks, highways, etc... in somewhat unexpected ways. Some places where you expect roads to go through, you have to detour to a different street. Alternatively you have streets like Evans / Iliff that link up but don't remain major streets throughout their span, or even Quebec, going from large to narrow to large again. Also our freeway exits aren't the most logical. We have a few that happen very quickly in a short space of time with little time to get over and at times little warning that it's happening.

A lot of these things are improving with time, but I think they can be confusing for a while to newcomers until they become accustomed to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver