Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 02:47 PM

156 posts, read 326,460 times

Advertisements

I've decided I'm going to look for a house here in Colorado. I believe it will be a good investment and will also get me out of these apartment complexes I have been renting from. Im looking at no more than $175k if I am to get a house in the immediate future (by Summer)... My income is steadily increasing each year but after the purchase of a new car I maxed myself at the 175k mark to live comfortably.

I know the main question that people ask is where do you work? I currently work in the vicinity of the Lindsay Flannigan Court House.

I have a realtor searching for me but in most cases he has been sending me houses in the Aurora area. Does anyone have any opinions on what parts of Aurora are decent and which parts are recommended to stay away from? I have spent most my time in the Denver metro area as well as out west and a tad bit of Littleton as well (I worked in Castle Rock but I will not move there). I also worked in Wheat Ridge and found that a bit too mellow for me. I enjoy going to Lakewood and spend a lot of time at the Belmar plaza.

More about me, 26 y/o white male, typical mon-fri 8-430 schedule, enjoy the outdoors but also like having a place to myself to relax (my house needs to have a yard). Other than that nothing out of the ordinary.

I am also looking at an area that will increase in resale over the next 5-10 years because I plan on relocating in that time frame (some of you may say its stupid for me to buy a house if I am going to leave that soon but I consider it a better investment than renting over a span of 5-10 additional years when I have already been renting here for 3 years).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My realtor did send me a house today to look at over in the East Kentucky area of Aurora which I may go check out.

Thanks again and Happy St. Patricks Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 03:53 PM

17,729 posts, read 29,957,360 times
Default Degree of Difficulty

I did a quick search on Zillow with a max price of $175K.
There are almost no (which is not the same as zero) houses west of Sheridan.
So, not much in Edgewater, Lakewood, Wheat Ridge.

In Denver, most of the houses in this range are:
East of Federal and between Colfax and Yale.
Not the best neighborhoods.
But, I will tell you that a friend of mine has lived at 900 South Decatur for 15 years and we were talking about gentrification in his neighborhood. He said: "tell me about it. After 10+ years of parking my big box truck on the street or in my driveway, I got cited by the City. The neighborhood is on the up".
I would suggest that you drive there and get out walk around.
Look at the crime stats. Pay special attention to hot spots and whether they would affect you.

In Aurora, I think you need to stay south of 6th Ave.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:45 PM

156 posts, read 326,460 times
I've heard that area is on the rise. I believe that area is a 80219 zip code? One of my fellow co-workers also studies home values and says that is one big area on the rise.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:06 PM

Default I was actually thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan87 View Post
I've heard that area is on the rise. I believe that area is a 80219 zip code? One of my fellow co-workers also studies home values and says that is one big area on the rise.
80223 and 80219.
I am more a "neighborhood" guy and less of a ZIP code guy.
West Colfax south to Harvey Park South.
My friend lives in Athmar Park which has never been on anyone's gentrification list.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:20 PM

51 posts, read 116,824 times
Check out properties around 6th and Sheridan. You'll have light rail access, close to Edgewater, a quick drive to downtown or the mountains, the recently refurbished part of Federal, and the freedom to do as you damn well please, all for under $150k

Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 AM

Default Too Trendy

Danny & Christy's Burrito Factory Fun House! House Tour | Apartment Therapy

Name: Danny and Christy
Size: 3,200 square feet
Years lived in: 9 years

Last edited by davebarnes; 03-18-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-18-2013, 04:41 PM

11,848 posts, read 34,517,528 times
463 S AMES ST Lakewood, CO 80232
MLS #: 1168382

Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM

48 posts, read 102,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan87 View Post
I am near this area, I am in Villa Park (80204), the area has great access to Belmar and Downtown Denver; and it's about to get even easier when the West Rail opens in a month. Also, you're probably 10 minute bike ride, all off street, from this area to courthouse(I work in that area too). Housing prices just a few blocks off the light rail stops are still pretty decent; 50's era bungalows and a few older victorians in the neighborhood, overall really great, well built homes. But yes, as you mentioned this area is starting to gentrify and price up rapidly. FWIW, I was in your situation a few years ago(have since decided to stay a little longer, I really like the neighborhood and where it's headed), and if you're looking for 5 to 10 year appreciation....I would take a home near light rail over somewhere in Aurora anyday. Good luck though, and enjoy the hunt.

Something like this...
965 Knox Ct, Denver, CO 80204 - Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver