Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 01:23 AM

5 posts, read 5,928 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My company is planning a move from me...some background

A) I work in sales and earn approx $84k plus commision
B) My wife works, EA for an IT firm and earn $48k - however is pregnant and due in Feb'13.

If we move to Denver
A) My wife cannot get a transfer as her company does not have offices there, and would need to find a job after maternity leave.
B) We can survive on my salary no problem.

If we move to NYC
A) My wife can get a transfer and we both keep our jobs even if she earns a little less with only working 3 days a week.

We could survive on my salary in Denver no issue.
My concern is around her finding work in Denver.

Would the cost of living in NY offset any advantage we would gain through her income....

I appreciatte people a lot of this type of question so any indepth and insighful responses appreciatted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 04:21 AM

95 posts, read 186,877 times
Yes the cost of living would offset her income.

If your sales job is regional, i would expect more commission in the NE U.S. The mountain west is sparsely populated and a slower economy than most of the US. Just wanted to point that out. If you are doing telephone sales then it might not matter.

If your job is not dependent on the mountain west, then absolutely Denver would give you the dream life.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:00 AM

352 posts, read 713,279 times
Move to NYC. From one world class city to another. No-brainer in my book.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:13 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
NYC is cheap compared with London.
NYC.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 AM

205 posts, read 503,580 times
Are there other things that you're looking for in the move? I grew up in and around NY and have lived about 30 miles from Denver for the last 24 years. The two cities are very different. If you want a life similar to what you have in London, then definitely move to NY.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:13 AM

345 posts, read 913,959 times
Well I cannot tell you were to move since I am not sure what you are looking for and it is a personal choice.
I was born and raised in NY, have lived here in CO for 17 yrs and have been to London so I will share what info I have:

Yes NY has a higher cost of living but it is less then London.
The climate is closer to London's
If you guys like to take day trips to other areas, have more entertainment options, NY is the better choice.
Ocean, trees, better food. ( yes I miss those three )
Far better public transportation system
However there is more traffic, more people, more expensive and people there can be blunt.

Denver is a smaller city, easier to navigate.
People on the surface are friendlier
Not much rain, little humidity
Lower cost of living
Larger house for less money
But it is a land locked state, so day trips are whatever the state has to offer. The Sun is pretty brutal in the Summer.

Jobs are hard to come by with our current economy I am not sure if it is harder coming from a different country.
Our healthcare system is expensive anywhere you go so I would make sure the company offers it and it is not outrageously priced. The lowest offered to us was $589 per month with a $3,000 deductible, plus office fees etc. Really not doable. I do envy countries like your with universal health care.
Also expect to pay lots more for cell service and internet. On the underground I saw ads for cell service and net and it was a fraction of the cost that it is here.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:55 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
Our healthcare system is expensive anywhere you go so I would make sure the company offers it and it is not outrageously priced. The lowest offered to us was $589 per month with a $3,000 deductible, plus office fees etc. Really not doable. I do envy countries like your with universal health care.
Also expect to pay lots more for cell service and internet. On the underground I saw ads for cell service and net and it was a fraction of the cost that it is here.

Ditto on the healthcare. For my family of four, I have to pay about $850/month out of pocket (that is $10,000 a year before I ever see a doctor). I also have co-pays and a deductable. But I work for the government, private companies usually have much cheaper benefits or no benefits at all.

If you make $85k plus commission, you will be fine in Denver. Your wife might even be able to take more time to be with your new baby before she gets a job. Childcare is very expensive.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:27 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Moving internationally is difficult enough without the culture shock of moving to a small city. NYC has a population of 8M and a metro area of 20M. Denver has a population of slightly over 619K and a metro area of 2M. The 25 Top hospitals in the US are on the East and West Coasts except 3 in the Midwest. The US has 5 Alpha cities. NYC is #1.

Once you move to the US everything will be different from the kitchen sink to the drinking water. Your small appliances will not work without a converter because the US/UK power grids are different. The kitchen oven is not Mark. It is in degrees. Mark 3, I believe, is very close to the US 350 degrees temperature for baking cakes. If you ask for Mince you will get a jar of pie filling. Your mince is our ground beef. Your nappy is our Pampers.

There is good news. In NYC, you wife can easily find the specialty maternity shop. London-born Rosie can help your wife before and after birth. https://www.rosiepope.com/about-us/bio/

Unless you hate 5-Star restaurants, live theatre, and the energized city life the Alpha can offer do not move to the mountains yet. You can do it in the future.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,051,193 times
Seems to me that you have more lifestyle options if you move to Denver. Your wife can decide how long she wants to stay home with the baby and you don't have to worry about child care expenses or finding a place that is trustworthy. I don't think most new parents continue with 5 star restaurants or the theater when the kids are very young and Denver is a great place to raise kids.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:21 PM

596 posts, read 982,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andramont View Post
Hi,

My company is planning a move from me...some background

A) I work in sales and earn approx $84k plus commision
B) My wife works, EA for an IT firm and earn $48k - however is pregnant and due in Feb'13.

If we move to Denver
A) My wife cannot get a transfer as her company does not have offices there, and would need to find a job after maternity leave.
B) We can survive on my salary no problem.

If we move to NYC
A) My wife can get a transfer and we both keep our jobs even if she earns a little less with only working 3 days a week.

We could survive on my salary in Denver no issue.
My concern is around her finding work in Denver.

Would the cost of living in NY offset any advantage we would gain through her income....

I appreciatte people a lot of this type of question so any indepth and insighful responses appreciatted.

Who would be watching your kid in NYC during the 3 days that your wife would be at work (I'm assuming that both of you would be at work at the same time)? If you have to pay for childcare, then this has to be subtracted from your wife's salary in NYC. Unless your wife makes a lot of money, it may be cheaper for her to stay home with the baby (and this would tilt the scales in favor of Denver).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: