Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:55 PM

12 posts, read 32,128 times

Advertisements

Ok I've kind of been going back & forth between moving to Colorado Springs or Denver. What would you guys suggest for a single 23/24 year old female? I've also thought about Littleton too...but those are pretty much what I've narrowed it down to. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 10:17 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Denver is better for singles I think.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:40 AM

17 posts, read 95,640 times
Default Don't know about COSprings, but

My daughter (23 yo) moved to Denver from MN in July 07, just after graduating from college. This was a huge move for her, considering she grew up in a town of <3,000 people!! Of course, her dad and I had concerns about her safety and the usual parental worries. But she did her homework; went out and visited a few times, looked at apartments, checked out employment options, etc.

16 months later and she's never regretted it for a second. She absolutely loves Denver and is doing great! She feels pretty safe (using common sense, of course), finds it easy to find her way around, has made so many new friends, is always finding new places to go and things to do. She loves snowboarding, and really had a great 'first CO winter' experience with all the snow last year! She landed a good job and is now going back to school for graduate studies.

Of course, we still worry about her (that's what parents do), but not like at first. But that just makes a nice excuse for us to visit once in a while...just to make sure she's okay!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkxfist View Post
Ok I've kind of been going back & forth between moving to Colorado Springs or Denver. What would you guys suggest for a single 23/24 year old female? I've also thought about Littleton too...but those are pretty much what I've narrowed it down to. Any ideas?

What line of work are you in?
Where can you find jobs?
What is your rent budget or housing budget?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:00 AM

12 posts, read 32,128 times
mnaallen: Ya think it worries my mom that I want to move from CA all the way there, guess it's a parent thing

Charles: I'm looking for more office type jobs like clerical/administrative. my rent budget is around $500-$600 (a price range that wouldn't fly well where I'm currently from lol). I'm thinking of finding a roommate so I guess it'll be cheaper.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:38 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,917,397 times
rawkxfist - I moved to Denver (well actually what is Centennial now) metro when I was 27 and it was a good move for me.

I grew up in C Springs, moved to Grand Junction then to Denver and in 98 I moved back to C Springs.

Not to say that C Springs isn't great for singles too but there's so much more to explore and do up in Denver when you are in your early/mid 20s.

Now, on your budget for an admin type job and a rental of $500-$600, yeah, you will need a roommate either in the Springs or in Denver metro to have a decent place to live that is also safe.

C Springs is lower key but the nice thing about down here is that it's not that far from Denver.

Honestly, I would take two weeks, if possible, to hit up both cities to get a feel for each. Maybe you can find a couple of young professionals organizations (I know C Springs has one and I am pretty sure you don't have to be say, a sales rep or business owner) that can help you hook up with honest people to show you the ropes. You will never know until you spend time in either city as to what would be a good match for you.

Good luck.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
Denver and Colorado Springs rent is both pretty cheap. You can easily find a $500-$600 1br apartment in either place, and of course you can share a 2br with a roommate and save some money. The springs is slightly cheaper in terms of rent, but salaries are significantly lower to match.

I like the Springs -- great scenery and natural setting. But Denver has the edge in the employment market, and that's where the singles are (mostly in or close to the city proper).

If I were in your shoes, I'd choose Denver for now, but consider moving to the Springs at some later point in your life.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:45 PM

17 posts, read 95,640 times
rawkxfist, a roommate is a good idea. Of course, it's much easier to share space with someone you already know. My daughter was lucky in that one of her college roommates made the move out there also. I would have been a great deal more apprehensive about her moving so far from home, if she had been going to share an apt with someone she just met.

They have a very nice 2 br 2 ba (1100 sq ft!) apt in Lakewood; security bldgs, swimming pools, tennis courts, etc. that runs about $900/mo. I think a 1 br apt runs about $650/mo there.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:31 PM

676 posts, read 2,797,360 times
Its all about location. The newer the places are going to run you about 700-900 dollars for a one bedroom place, depending on amenities, s.f. and location. Older places start at about 500-700 but be careful since some of these don't have the security features of newer places.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:29 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnaallen View Post
My daughter (23 yo) moved to Denver from MN in July 07, just after graduating from college. This was a huge move for her, considering she grew up in a town of <3,000 people!! Of course, her dad and I had concerns about her safety and the usual parental worries. But she did her homework; went out and visited a few times, looked at apartments, checked out employment options, etc.

16 months later and she's never regretted it for a second. She absolutely loves Denver and is doing great! She feels pretty safe (using common sense, of course), finds it easy to find her way around, has made so many new friends, is always finding new places to go and things to do. She loves snowboarding, and really had a great 'first CO winter' experience with all the snow last year! She landed a good job and is now going back to school for graduate studies.

Of course, we still worry about her (that's what parents do), but not like at first. But that just makes a nice excuse for us to visit once in a while...just to make sure she's okay!
Bless you for raising a great young person and letting her spread her wings. I wish I were young again (and could KNOW what I know NOW). She will be fine in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver