Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Westminister is pretty family-oriented. It is an older suburb than Parker, therefore perhaps fewer families with small children live there. You could look up the stats for both places on City-Data.

Even Boulder is fairly family oriented, though probably the least of all the suburban cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 08:27 AM

456 posts, read 1,576,972 times
I don't think Denver is bland at all!! And I am coming from Chicago.

Can't really compare Minneapolis to Denver for you as I don't know MN too well.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:19 PM

16 posts, read 57,130 times
I live in Colorado now, but used to live in Minnesota. As far as towns that resemble Minnetonka or Wayzata, you might look at Boulder, Highlands Ranch, or the Cherry Creek area of Denver. Most of the Denver suburbs lack a ton of character but you can find nice, family-friendly communities, nice houses, but only man-made lakes Good luck!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:26 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,117 times
You won't find one.

Then again, you won't live in Minnesota anymore, so things are looking up.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:34 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
No offense to Denver, but Minneapolis has a more distinct culture because Minneapolis was heavily influenced by Scandinavian culture. A lot of the "intellectual/political/liberal" vibe comes from that. Also, the way the state is run, it is very similar to Sweden/Norway. Very generous benefits and very high taxes. Denver on the other hand, it is more of a typical Western city, no strong culture, just a "generic" place settled by people from all different parts of the country. Even the way Minnesotans speak is very unique and influenced by Norwegian/Swedish. When I was in Denver last time, I read about a "hate crime" against a gay store or something. That kind of stuff is almost unheard of here, we have a big gay bar right in the middle of downtown Minneapolis called "Gay 90's". It is very out in the open and an accepted part of downtown Minneapolis. Minneapolis is much more liberal, accepting and progressive than Denver.
I'm gay and live in Denver and find it to be the most accepting place I've ever lived. I have over 25 gay couples living within 3 blocks of my house (about 20% of households) and there are gay bars all over the city, out in the open. I remember when Wellington Webb was running for mayor, he went to several large gay bars to campaign. This is a liberal city with a large gay population. I don't know where you got your perception from

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
I take it that you are not from denver and the way you generalize it makes me think that when you were here you must not have done much. I could just as easily fly a plane up to minnesota find an article in the paper about a rape and just assume that everybody up there likes to rape each other . Downtown denver is one of the more vibrant downtowns that you will visit. Its not the biggest in the world but it has plenty to keep you busy (heck it kept a bunch of 20 somethings busy on a show called "the real world").

I just read today that downtown Denver is the 10th largest downtown in the country. I don't know what criteria they used, but it sounds about right to me.

I checked weather.com and one difference is that Denver's a bit warmer in the winter. Minneapolis averages for today are a high of 27 and low of 11 whereas Denver's average is 44 and 16. So on average, the daytime highs will be warmer, and less humidity makes it feel better. We also have about a half hour more daylight this time of year, it that makes any difference.

You'd probably also find summers more pleasant without all the bugs and humidity of the Midwest. I've been to Minneapolis a couple times and thought it was a beautiful city. Overall, other than the scenery, I don't think they're that different. Different scenery, a little different weather, but I think you'll find plenty to do here.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-14-2007 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Merging 3 posts into 1.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 19,457 times
I can't comment on the OP's search for an upscale suburban area but I live in Denver now and have visited Minneapolis a number of times over the years, though I've spent most of my life between NYC and San Francisco.

-I think it is true that Minneapolis may be more cultured, so to speak, such things as the Walker evidence this. That said, I find that in general Minneapolis feels, for lack of better word, fairly hokey and provincial. The sort of responses boasting about a big gay bar downtown (how 80s!) seem to perfectly exemplify this...as though Denver were too unenlightened for such a unique institution.

-Denver is not the most diverse place but you will meet more educated sorts from the coasts looking for something "different." Minneapolis may be more liberal, though I question that...in general Denver has more of a progressive/independent spirit.

-The weather is vastly different between the two cities--Minneapolis being more humid and cold.

-Geographic isolation. One great mark against Denver is its isolation from other large cities. This bothers me greatly but some seem to like it. I suppose Minneapolis wins this.

That's all for now. I must get back to work.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:32 AM

116 posts, read 343,627 times
I know this thread is old, but I could'nt resist replying to the gay comments.

In reference to the Gay 90's being 'out in the open', etc is a funny statement...because so are ALL of the 25+ other gay and lesbian bars that populate the city. As far as one being the 'gayer' city, I know that both have large populations of gays, but I HAVE to give this to MPLS (having visited and experienced Denver's gay culture).

The last census, we had the second highest percent of registered gay couples (behind SF), and 3rd highest in the nation for gay population (behind SF and NYC). There are gay people everywhere in this town, and NOBODY cares. To hear of a gay bashing, etc. in MPLS would be jaw-dropping news. It seems like EVERY circle of friends here has at least a couple gay men or lesbians. It really is a fact of life here, and frankly, I'm surprised that MN hasn't legalized marriage yet.

And to everyone with the weather stats, I just have this to say: If all that you can promote about your city is that it has slightly better weather than the other because there is really nothing else that is superior about it...(insert witty comment here).

Old 06-04-2008, 09:37 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minneapolitan View Post
I know this thread is old, but I could'nt resist replying to the gay comments.

In reference to the Gay 90's being 'out in the open', etc is a funny statement...because so are ALL of the 25+ other gay and lesbian bars that populate the city. As far as one being the 'gayer' city, I know that both have large populations of gays, but I HAVE to give this to MPLS (having visited and experienced Denver's gay culture).

The last census, we had the second highest percent of registered gay couples (behind SF), and 3rd highest in the nation for gay population (behind SF and NYC). There are gay people everywhere in this town, and NOBODY cares. To hear of a gay bashing, etc. in MPLS would be jaw-dropping news. It seems like EVERY circle of friends here has at least a couple gay men or lesbians. It really is a fact of life here, and frankly, I'm surprised that MN hasn't legalized marriage yet.

And to everyone with the weather stats, I just have this to say: If all that you can promote about your city is that it has slightly better weather than the other because there is really nothing else that is superior about it...(insert witty comment here).
I always assumed Minneapolis had a large gay population and great nightlife. I think Denver does too. At one time I would have actually considered Minneapolis as a place to live, but I just couldn't handle the weather in winter and summers turn hot, humid, and buggy, so I wouldn't get enough "outdoor" time. For some of us, the Denver climate helps it win out over other cities, but that's nothing but a personal preference.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:30 PM

249 posts, read 1,030,041 times
I believe posters were trying to get past the "who's more superior" question to what are the actual differences between the cities.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:10 PM

164 posts, read 596,232 times
Default Minnesota AND Denver

It's and old thread, but here's my 2 cents.
Being from the Twin Cities and now living in Denver for the past 3 years means I want to add at least something to this.
Minneapolis/St. Paul is great but very cold and gray. Lots of outdoor opportunities (city fishing that's GOOD).
Denver is great and sunny.....everyday. Lots of outdoor opportunities.
I'd move back to Minnesota but would miss Colorado. Especially the tolerable winters. But then again I haven't played outdoor hockey since leaving the North Star State and miss the pale imitation here. I'd stay in colorado but would miss Minnesota.
Both states seem to have an influx of minorities who bear the brunt of the natives (how many Colorado cars have those quasi-xenophobic "NATIVE" bumper stickers?). This doesn't really affect anyone unless they need an excuse.
Gay populationwise, I think MPLS is definitely more outfront about it. The parade is huge.....I don't really see this in Denver and I've lived in both Uptowns of both cities where this would more likely occur.
As far as education goes, I do think the minnesota school system is better and less shoddy. It seems that I hear of the schoolkids here getting out for summer earlier and starting later, with lots of halfdays and vacations in between. Not being a parent I'm not well qualified to speak to this though.

You don't really seem to have the Uberliberals (wellstone-ites) here in denver, and this can be a good thing. Less wishy-washyness. Does denver have that ILL CONCEIVED AT BEST law where the cars are required by law to stop for a pedestrian ready to cross? Maybe that's just St. Paul, but I remember seeing people cross streets holding those flourscent flags and assuming a driver would stop because the law was on the walker's side. BULL****. That said, there are pockets of space-cadet liberalism just like in the TCs (read: Boulder).

Life here seems a bit more laid back....less feelings like your neighbor might anonymously call the city to report that you had a carport in your yard (I vaguely remember this as a woodbury news story). No Minnesota Nice here.
Life here seems also a bit more harried. More stories of death (I guess Colorado Springs had the 2nd highest suicide rate behind Vegas) and chaos than back in the TCs.

Minneapolis believes it's world class (and it kind of is) and Denver believes it's merely a cowtown (it's much more). But the downtowns have a similar amount of vitality. Lots of people passing through Denver seem to add a bit more turnover, but Minnesota has a destination aspect to it (I guess that outside of seattle it's the largest population of Hmong and mixed race couples, and is the most settled african immigrant population in the US).

I like both and would recommend either as great. If you're a ski buff go CO. If you can get into winter then MN is very livable and likable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver