Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:44 PM

136 posts, read 741,860 times

Advertisements

I have planed to relocate to CO quite a while, but have to delay the date to 1.5 years later. Reason: my son is in high school now and I would like him to graduate from a CA high school. This may let him to easily admit a better college since CA has more first class universities as you know. I heard many people leaving CA and complaining the bad education system\schools in CA. I am confused about this and I am wondering if you ahve thought of the higher education future of your kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 03:57 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
No. If I wanted really outstanding schools, I would be moving back to the east coast.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:19 PM

yes, but if you move to CO from CA with middle school age and high school age kids, it is sort of "giving up" some chances for your kids to enter a better college. If your kids' higher education is your top priority, you got to think about it.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I don't understand.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I don't understand.
Here is an example: one of my friend's son who graduated from Fairview HS in Boulder last year. He got very high GPA and SAT scores (2300), but rejected by UC Berkely. One of my another friend's daughter graduated from a San Jose HS. She got relatively lower GPA and lower SAT score, less social activities, but still was accepted by UC Berkely. People told me that a CA resident may have advantage for top UC schools. I might be wrong since I don't quite familar with U.S. education system. I admit that Chinese parents take too serious about which university their kids could go to.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:10 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,764 times
Aren't there plenty of decent or excellent colleges in Colorado? What would be the benefit in the long haul of attending a California university over one in Colorado? I'm not trying to be a thorn in anyone's side. I just honestly would like to know what makes people think this way.

I guess I know too many people who place so much emphasis on prestige. I also know of a few who sent their kids to well-known colleges for four years and now their kids are doing nothing related to their majors. Example: One went to USC for four years and is now a truck driver; another went to a a local private university and is now going to cosmetology school. While there is nothing wrong with truck driving or cosmetology, I would hate to have taken out a second mortgage in order to send my kids to these colleges, only to have it not really be worth it career-wise.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingcol View Post
yes, but if you move to CO from CA with middle school age and high school age kids, it is sort of "giving up" some chances for your kids to enter a better college. If your kids' higher education is your top priority, you got to think about it.
Sorry, I misunderstood your original question. So, allow me to clarify.

My major concern is not easing their way into a CA university by leaving them in a sub-standard public school and counting on lax local admission policies to gain them entry. Rather, it is making sure they are prepared to make the most of their higher educations by ensuring they are academically-challenged and ready to handle the work, no matter which university they attend.

After living on the east coast in an area with extraordinary public schools, I'm not impressed with my local elementary. It's above-average, but nothing to write home about. Therefore, my spouse and I are taking steps to provide extra tutoring, particularly in math, because the program used here in Douglas County is just awful.

Would I like my kids to go to Stanford? Of course. But, my guess is that they'll do fine wherever they go. It's not the quality of the university, it's the quality of the student. College is too late to start worrying about their educations.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingcol View Post
Here is an example: one of my friend's son who graduated from Fairview HS in Boulder last year. He got very high GPA and SAT scores (2300), but rejected by UC Berkely. One of my another friend's daughter graduated from a San Jose HS. She got relatively lower GPA and lower SAT score, less social activities, but still was accepted by UC Berkely. People told me that a CA resident may have advantage for top UC schools. I might be wrong since I don't quite familar with U.S. education system. I admit that Chinese parents take too serious about which university their kids could go to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
Aren't there plenty of decent or excellent colleges in Colorado? What would be the benefit in the long haul of attending a California university over one in Colorado? I'm not trying to be a thorn in anyone's side. I just honestly would like to know what makes people think this way.

I guess I know too many people who place so much emphasis on prestige. I also know of a few who sent their kids to well-known colleges for four years and now their kids are doing nothing related to their majors. Example: One went to USC for four years and is now a truck driver; another went to a a local private university and is now going to cosmetology school. While there is nothing wrong with truck driving or cosmetology, I would hate to have taken out a second mortgage in order to send my kids to these colleges, only to have it not really be worth it career-wise.
California residents do get preference at the Cali state schools, just as CO residents get preference at CO state schools. Colorado's state colleges and universities offer a good education.

As for formercalifornian's concerns, I would say "relax". I know of a number of kids who were whizzes in ele/middle school who burned out in HS. And I know a number who were late bloomers and got going seriously in HS, which is the better trajectory, if you ask me. I also know of kids who took the IB program and then went to a mediocre college. When my kids were in HS, there was a lot of peer pressure and presure from advisors to "get into a good college". It's a bit over the top. And like rebagirl, I know many who went to college and are now working at Dairy Queen, the YMCA (in child care, not management), etc. I agree those are honorable jobs, but hardly jobs one needs a college education for.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
As for formercalifornian's concerns, I would say "relax".... When my kids were in HS, there was a lot of peer pressure and presure from advisors to "get into a good college".
That was my point when I wrote that the quality of the student matters more than the quality of institution.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:56 PM

My point was that your kids probably don't need extra tutoring in math, even if you do think the program in Douglas Co is awful. These things tend to even out by high school. I have seriously seen ele/middle school kids burn out by HS. Some were pushed ahead, took honors courses as soon as they could, etc. By high school they are getting just mediocre grades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: