Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:14 PM

434 posts, read 1,118,468 times

Advertisements

Oh dear. We're going to be looking in early May, hoping to close in late June/early July. I suspect this is going to be tougher than I thought.

Feel free to PM me your FSBOs - we are looking in Superior in the Eldorado elem. school district; in Broomfield in the Aspen elem. school district; or maybe in Centennial/Littleton in the Arapahoe high school district. 4 bedroom (or 3BR + study); 2 BA; at least 2200 sf, for MAX of $430K. We want a nice looking neighborhood (no cars on blocks please).

We are a nice family, two kids, we keep up the outside of our home and get involved in our community. We're friendly and outgoing but not overbearing.

We would make great neighbors !

Last edited by scrapper105; 02-26-2013 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 08:47 PM

91 posts, read 178,127 times
You guys are all a lot braver than I am. I have already been bitten by our economy once, and I am not about to make the same mistake twice. With our economy (if you can call it that) in the shape its in, I'm happy paying top dollar to rent. Things go down the toilet again - its peace out for me.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:50 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,814 times
I agree Arthur. I am happy renting right now. I bought a home in 2009 and sold it last year for a profit. Hopefully I can do the same thing here but not right now. Plus I'm picky and want to be in Wash Park/Platt Park and there just isn't a lot of inventory in our price range.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 PM

204 posts, read 578,981 times
We've decided that this time around we're not going to think of our home as an investment (as hard as that may be).

Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 PM

37 posts, read 62,439 times
I had some random realtor come knocking on my door last week asking if we want to sell. She said she has no inventory and loads of buyers that she can't even help (we are in broomfield).

Whoever said they are looking in superior,broomfield...good luck! Be ready for bidding wars. Make sure your realtor is ready and on top of things or you will be out of luck! We've been out bid or too late in this area for 4 months. We give up. Moving our search to s. Denver area.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDaly View Post
You guys are all a lot braver than I am. I have already been bitten by our economy once, and I am not about to make the same mistake twice. With our economy (if you can call it that) in the shape its in, I'm happy paying top dollar to rent. Things go down the toilet again - its peace out for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apa1128 View Post
We've decided that this time around we're not going to think of our home as an investment (as hard as that may be).
I am with apa1128 on this one. I have a lot of cash in our new build in Wash Park, but I am planning to be there for 20 years so I really don't care if things go down. I'm not expecting them to and I am not over leveraged so if my life takes a drastic turn for the worse, I can always walk away without declaring bankruptcy. It's an investment in a place I want to live, not an investment that I'm expecting a financial return on.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:31 PM

471 posts, read 600,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper105 View Post
Oh dear. We're going to be looking in early May, hoping to close in late June/early July. I suspect this is going to be tougher than I thought.

Feel free to PM me your FSBOs - we are looking in Superior in the Eldorado elem. school district; in Broomfield in the Aspen elem. school district; or maybe in Centennial/Littleton in the Arapahoe high school district. 4 bedroom (or 3BR + study); 2 BA; at least 2200 sf, for MAX of $430K. We want a nice looking neighborhood (no cars on blocks please).

We are a nice family, two kids, we keep up the outside of our home and get involved in our community. We're friendly and outgoing but not overbearing.

We would make great neighbors !
You sound like you would be great neighbors, we had friends just move to south Denver, they purchased a home in Highlands Ranch. It is a very nice community, very family friendly, coming from Orange County, I think you get quite a bit for your money there. You can find nice homes in your price range for the square footage you are looking for. Littleton and centennial seem quite nice as well. Good luck, just don't get into any bidding war. When sellers and Realtors(tm) get smug, everyone loses. Realtors(tm), even "buyers agents", are usually working for the seller because the higher the price, the more the commission.

Last edited by GoldenZephyr; 02-26-2013 at 10:40 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 PM

15 posts, read 25,303 times
Default cynical notion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Realtors(tm), even "buyers agents", are usually working for the seller because the higher the price, the more the commission.
More evidence that real estate is the least understood profession. FYI it is a state regulated industry. The reason you list is exactly why real estate agents have licenses and can lose them to disciplinary action.

If you think you can save a buck with something as important as buying a home I'm sure you can find some unethical agents out there, though.

(BTW a $20,000 increase in price nets at most a measly $600 (3%), and that's before all the costs incurred of doing business. I think most agents would rather have satisfied clients to give them future referrals than ripping someone off a couple hundred dollars.)

Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apa1128 View Post
Ugh. I am not looking forward to this at all.
Just rent. Why get sucked in on another bubble?

Old 02-27-2013, 06:50 AM

204 posts, read 578,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I am with apa1128 on this one. I have a lot of cash in our new build in Wash Park, but I am planning to be there for 20 years so I really don't care if things go down. I'm not expecting them to and I am not over leveraged so if my life takes a drastic turn for the worse, I can always walk away without declaring bankruptcy. It's an investment in a place I want to live, not an investment that I'm expecting a financial return on.
Well, said SkyDog. I think people are thinking less about buying and making a profit in a few years and more about buying and staying put. Perhaps this is the reason for such low inventory....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver