Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 01:53 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times

Advertisements

Location appears to be downtown, near / in LODO. IMO a nice area to work. One block walk to the Cheesecake Factory!

The OP needs to know there is a free bus that runs from Union Station (Light rail hub) down 16th street and may be a viable commuting option.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-10-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 02:09 PM

557 posts, read 810,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBrit54 View Post
HE GOT THE JOB, HE GOT THE JOB!!!!! We are headed to Denver! He just was called and he got the job!!!! I am so happy to get out of here!!!

And yes - I will most definitely search in Washington Park as well!!! Thank you, thank you to all!!!!
Wow, congratulations. I am current federal government employee, also in the Treasury, and everything has frozen since the sequester took hold. Frankly, I'm surprised that they are bringing on anyone right now. We are being prepped for 5-7 furlough days over the next several months to cut over $600 million out of the budget.

I have applied to several different agencies, and BQ'd for several positions, only for the sequester to hit, and everything stop - GAO, DOJ, DOT, & DOD. So, again, congrats on getting through during this time. My wife and I hope to be joining you guys out in Denver as soon as hiring/transfers un-tighten!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:26 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
That's what I thought.. I was using his work address to nail down the options as well and that is why I am stuck on those Clock Tower, Buerger Brothers, and Chamber Lofts because they're so close! I like the Boston/Banks Lofts too - but they are super high.

Despite the noise of the city, I would like something close to his work in case I can't be so lucky to find work in the city... That way he could walk or cab if need be.. We currently have three vehicles, but are considering only taking one with us.

Anything close to a light rail stop will be just fine to get him to work. You definitely do not need to be downtown if you want to be in a house instead of an apartment.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:27 PM

31 posts, read 56,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
Wow, congratulations. I am current federal government employee, also in the Treasury, and everything has frozen since the sequester took hold. Frankly, I'm surprised that they are bringing on anyone right now. We are being prepped for 5-7 furlough days over the next several months to cut over $600 million out of the budget.

I have applied to several different agencies, and BQ'd for several positions, only for the sequester to hit, and everything stop - GAO, DOJ, DOT, & DOD. So, again, congrats on getting through during this time. My wife and I hope to be joining you guys out in Denver as soon as hiring/transfers un-tighten!
Thank you so much! It is a Godsend and I am just absolutely thrilled for him! I can tell you that from what I have gathered, the OCC wasn't affected by the sequester because it is operated a bit differently than other Treasury agencies... Don't quote me, but I think it's because banks pay fees for to be regulated?? I am not sure!!

They only took a select few hires out of hundreds of applications. There was quite a bit of natural weeding during the process too.. Its been a long few months waiting, but we are so excited!

I wish you & your wife the best of luck in getting to Denver. Now its my turn to look for a job!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 PM

48 posts, read 101,951 times
Quote:
That's what I thought.. I was using his work address to nail down the options as well and that is why I am stuck on those Clock Tower, Buerger Brothers, and Chamber Lofts because they're so close! I like the Boston/Banks Lofts too - but they are super high.

Despite the noise of the city, I would like something close to his work in case I can't be so lucky to find work in the city... That way he could walk or cab if need be.. We currently have three vehicles, but are considering only taking one with us.
I wanted to mention a few things for you in regard to living Buerger Brothers, Chambers, or Boston&Bank lofts:

I lived in Boston/Bank lofts about 4 years ago now, for 1 year, (Originally from STL too), with 1 dog and 1 car.

The parking issue: Shouldn't be a great issue with 1 car, do not bring 3 not needed in Denver compared to Stl, but you can expect to pay about 300 per mo for the garage connected to B&B lofts, and I would assume similar for other garages in the CBD.

The dog/grass/open area issue: It's a decent walk to good open space, which for me was the Confluence Park(tons of dogs, great area tho), she loves the water and running with other dogs. I always love taking her for walks: so early, cold, snowy mornings and late nights weren't bad, but some food for thought.

One last thing for a new Denverite. Living that close to 16th St Mall.......you will get sick of 16th St Mall.

Just FYI, but certainly none of these are deterrants, welcome to Denver!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matkaemm View Post
The dog/grass/open area issue: It's a decent walk to good open space, which for me was the Confluence Park(tons of dogs, great area tho), she loves the water and running with other dogs. I always love taking her for walks: so early, cold, snowy mornings and late nights weren't bad, but some food for thought.

One last thing for a new Denverite. Living that close to 16th St Mall.......you will get sick of 16th St Mall.
Thank you very much for this input! I agree with you about the 16th Street Mall!

May I ask - is there living around Confluence Park?

Where do you currently reside? This search is hard because I cannot get the DeMun/Clayton area out of my head! I feel like living in DeMun is an irreplaceable amenity... Mini-CBD right down the street which calls for less crime, but still buildings and boutiques of city life. DeMun in general is in a neighborhood/subdivision but doesn't feel like the burbs. And then Brentwood is right there for all my quick needs! There really isn't anything like this area in Denver is there?

Old 04-10-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Anything close to a light rail stop will be just fine to get him to work. You definitely do not need to be downtown if you want to be in a house instead of an apartment.
So you think that we could live a bit further out but still have a "city life" with easy commute by way of the Light Rail?? Good to know! Maybe I will drive into Denver in a couple weeks, rather fly, so I can explore the area better!!

Old 04-10-2013, 03:12 PM

48 posts, read 101,951 times
Quote:
Thank you very much for this input! I agree with you about the 16th Street Mall!

May I ask - is there living around Confluence Park?

Where do you currently reside? This search is hard because I cannot get the DeMun/Clayton area out of my head! I feel like living in DeMun is an irreplaceable amenity... Mini-CBD right down the street which calls for less crime, but still buildings and boutiques of city life. DeMun in general is in a neighborhood/subdivision but doesn't feel like the burbs. And then Brentwood is right there for all my quick needs! There really isn't anything like this area in Denver is there?

This is in Confluence Park area: Commons Park West Apartment Rentals ...this is between the Highlands and LoDo, really great location; grocery store, REI, bars, restaurants, dry cleaners, pet store, local clothes shops, etc.

I grew up in Glendale/Warson Woods and know Clayton pretty well....and Cherry Creek is probably the closest thing Denver has to DeMun/Clayton...but honestly it's actually not that close, sorry but youre right there just isnt anything like that in Denver.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:39 PM

229 posts, read 423,536 times
Quote:
This is in Confluence Park area: Commons Park West Apartment Rentals ...this is between the Highlands and LoDo, really great location; grocery store, REI, bars, restaurants, dry cleaners, pet store, local clothes shops, etc.

I grew up in Glendale/Warson Woods and know Clayton pretty well....and Cherry Creek is probably the closest thing Denver has to DeMun/Clayton...but honestly it's actually not that close, sorry but youre right there just isnt anything like that in Denver.

That is a great location, but I haven't heard the best things about that place.

Vitamin cottage is right there along with Paris on the Platte, Sushi, Pizza, and you're right across the highway from the highlands, or if you end up jumping the highway you'll be in the highlands which as you know is what I suggested for you both.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co_guy_94 View Post
That is a great location, but I haven't heard the best things about that place.
GRRR! Commons Park West LOOKS awesome! 1-2 bedrooms, in our price range, 5 minute drive/20 minute walk to his work, great amenities & views! BUT....

Co_guy_94 is right.. this place has horrible reviews! Commons Park West Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Denver apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

We were so close!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver