Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:40 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I think what people are trying to say to the OP is that they won't quite fit in. Unfortunately they have items that are at cross purposes on their list.

Most of the suburbs have good schools and yards. Denver neighborhoods where the OP is most likely to feel comfortable and find peers do not have good schools. Their perfect area might be Boulder but it is too far from their job and too expensive.

Luckily Denver metro is a live and let live sort of place so no one will care whether you fit in or not. The only problem comes in if you care about whether you fit in. If you do, then you might feel out of place.

Loads of good suburban neighborhoods with walkable amenities (grocery, restaurants, parks, trails) but not alternative or artistic amenities.

Personally I'm not really feeling the fit. Throw in the desire for new construction and I'm really not feeling it. Especially since the kids are older. With younger I'd say Stapleton but since they don't yet have a high school that option is out.

Where you will fit in is the dogs. People in CO love their big dogs. Be sure to check out the off leash dog parks at Cherry Creek State Park and Chatfield Reservoir.
Cherry Creek State Park- Off Leash Dog Area - Aurora, CO

Chatfield Dog Park - Littleton, CO

This post is meant to be helpful not snarky or negative. I'm sorry it isn't all rainbows and unicorns but people are giving you honest responses. If your coming for a job whether it is a fit or not isn't really relevant. You'll probably like it here as alot of people do. But not everyone does.

Besides that do we really have hipster in Denver? I'm not even sure I really know what that means. I looked it up on-line but the definitions aren't that favorable so I won't use them. Maybe we have hipster light in some of the trendier areas.

If your husband doesn't like heat and humidity make sure you get AC and not a swamp cooler.
Sure we do. We have this:

East Colfax Avenue -- PHOTO TOUR

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 07:54 PM

18 posts, read 24,825 times
I think lines got crossed. All I came here looking for was advice on getting the most out of our move. Whether or not I will fit

Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Ah, so that is what it is. I love Tommy's Thai and the Ethiopian restaurant. But with all the Mercedes and BMWs parked outside Tommy's every time I've been there is it really hipster? I always thought of Colfax as a yuppies outing place. They have great hole in the wall eateries. Makes one feel so adventurous. My Lexus fit right in with the BMWs and Mercedes. I kinda think it is funny when someone who doesn't know says to stay away from Colfax.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:03 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Ah, so that is what it is. I love Tommy's Thai and the Ethiopian restaurant. But with all the Mercedes and BMWs parked outside Tommy's every time I've been there is it really hipster? I always thought of Colfax as a yuppies outing place. They have great hole in the wall eateries. Makes one feel so adventurous. My Lexus fit right in with the BMWs and Mercedes. I kinda think it is funny when someone who doesn't know says to stay away from Colfax.
I stay away from Colfax not because it's dangerous, but because I have a low hipster tolerance.

Yuppies and hipsters hang out on Colfax for the same reason why they buy Harleys. They want to look dangerous, not be dangerous.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX1978 View Post
I think lines got crossed. All I came here looking for was advice on getting the most out of our move. Whether or not I will fit
Overall, I think that the greater Denver metro has a little something for everyone.
We have high end shops and entertainment (touring Broadway shows, etc.) and we have Dollar stores and everything in between.
There is a very active music scene, with three theaters on Colfax Ave. alone.
The Gothic, "home" of the Flo Bots is in Englewood.
Aurora, Parker, etc. all also have very active local theaters (FOX, PACE) and get some great acts in addition to encouraging local productions by the community.

If you like Swedish furniture, we've got that. If you like second-hand and thrift shops, we've got that. If you like mid-century modern, we've got that.

We have excellent art museums, a science museum, Botanic Garden, zoo, water park, galleries, lots of skate parks, BMX parks, dog parks, community gardens...

We have a very well-attended Renaissance festival, Rodeo, County and State Fairs...
And, of course major league baseball, pro football and basketball.

Something that I like to point out is that Aurora is its own city with its own library system, municipal center, mayor, etc. There is actually an Aurora history museum, a rather well-kept secret in the greater Denver metro.

Aurora is one of the most diverse cities in the country and that diversity is noted here:
Aurora’s diverse market, restaurant scene is growing - Your Hub

All that being said, one does have to keep in mind that we are land-locked, so, if seeing natural bodies of water regularly is important, then this may not be a good fit.
We also get snow in October and in March and April and sometimes May.
There is little humidity and the altitude can be an issue for some.

In general, though, it is a pretty live and let live sort of place, well, excepting the constant tail-gating one must endure while driving the speed limit on any roadway.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:33 AM

Well my last post got eaten by my iPhone and I was out for the night at a thing.

Sorry for the confusion.
I think lines got crossed and I got frustrated when it seemed that some people were taking a lot more stock in our minor preferences over our must-haves, and basically saying negative things without offering any positive advice.
I don't have to live next to a gallery to go enjoy art.

I'm not very concerned about 'fitting in' or 'keeping up with the Joneses'. I'm a grown-up, I have realistic expectations. I know we're good neighbors, and can associate with all kinds of people. We've been doing it for years.

Fences for the dogs, my kids getting a good education, and a Latin program for my son are most important things. Everything else is negotiable. In fact, my husband may be able to work from home a significant amount of time, so the commute isn't even an issue.

Anyway, based on TigerLily's last post, I think Denver will be great for us. it has all sorts of things we'd like to do. ...Plus breakfast burritos! Anywhere that has breakfast burritos is a good place to be.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:37 AM

LOL I'm looking at those pictures of Colfax and some of the comments... I think we have a vastly different idea of what's considered a bad part of town. That's not to say I would live there, mind you, but compared to certain areas of Houston, that's upscale!
Kinda reminds me of downtown Portland in the 90's.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:10 AM

56 posts, read 71,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Except that Houston is a fetid swamp reeking of the smells of oil refineries.
Um...what? I don't see how this is relevant to the post.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:36 AM

I'm living in Houston, so I'm pretty sure that's what he's referring to... and he's right. There's a reason we call the Pasadena area "Stinkadena".

If you're still considering Houston, go North, all the way to the Woodlands if you don't mind a commute. It's much nicer up here.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX1978 View Post
LOL I'm looking at those pictures of Colfax and some of the comments... I think we have a vastly different idea of what's considered a bad part of town. That's not to say I would live there, mind you, but compared to certain areas of Houston, that's upscale!
Kinda reminds me of downtown Portland in the 90's.

As a native NYC'er, I don't find Colfax Ave at all off-putting, though I understand that it was, at one time, very bad, sort of like 42nd Street pre-Disneyfication. When I first started working in the area, my office-mates expressed much surprise when I offered that I regularly ventured to Colfax Ave for lunch, to get the bus, visit the used book store, etc.

There is still a homeless population that is concentrated around the cathedral near Logan St. and near the Presbyterian Church at Grant and 16th since they have food programs at both.
I imagine that can be very unsettling for the bus loads of tourists that arrive daily to visit the Capital and the Mint, but, it is a city after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver