Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 03:26 PM

306 posts, read 546,254 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm moving from Nashville, TN to the Denver area at the end of Sept. for school. My classes will be in the Market & 19th St area of Denver and I'm looking for pet-friendly rentals (found some) but I'm lost as to which neighborhoods would be an OK commute to the Market & 19th St area 5 days a week. I've used google maps and padmapper but still can't seem to get concrete info. The areas I'm looking for include Lakewood, Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Thornton, Englewood, Littleton, and in the City of Denver, but for my pets I think that the outskirts of Denver (above-mentioned areas) would be better due to more space in apts as well as space in the community itself, without having to go to a dog park, etc. So my questions are:

1. Is it reasonable to commute from the furthest areas of for example, Lakewood (south), Arvada (north), Englewood, Littleton, etc. to Denver by bus ? Is an hour commute (sometimes 1 hr and 20 mins each way) on 2 buses normal, or is that too long / too far ? I haven't ridden a bus in about 20 years, last time was when I was living in England, and maybe I'll hate my "over an hour commute" by bus very quickly, but I'm trying to do that to be environmentally friendly, and to avoid having to find parking spaces (the school doesn't have parking).

2. If I decide to give up the whole "riding the bus" idea, is parking in Denver (19th & Market area) really as bad as everyone says it is ? Anyone know how much a monthly pass would cost ? And would it be difficult to find parking due to Coors Field being so close to that area ?

3. Would a $1300 - $1400 a month, 1 br apt within 2 miles from school be worth the price as I'd be able to walk to school everyday, vs. an apt for about $1000 a month "a little" further away, but having to pay for parking and gas, or a bus / rail pass ? (of course there's also the issue of more space for the pets).

Would appreciate any info you guys can give me. Thanks!

Val
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 04:10 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
The closer the better.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:29 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Pets will be much happier with short commute. Also maybe you can go home for lunch. Try for something as close to the school as you can find.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:18 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default You need to solve the equation within the constraints

You want:
1. A rental that will accept you + 3 dogs.
2. Easy public transit to school.
3. $1400/mo max rental budget.

Classic linear programming problem.
You need to solve it.

When you find a place/apartment/house that you thinks fits, then ask us our opinion.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:05 PM

371 posts, read 494,142 times
Arvada and Lakewood wouldn't be too bad, either using public transport or driving. Lakewood near 6th avenue has a light rail line that will get you directly into downtown easily, while Arvada has several park-n-rides with express buses getting you right downtown during peak traffic hours and a light rail line on it's way. Thornton also has a couple of park-n-rides with near constant express service downtown, and you will get a lot more apartment for your money (note: you will also die of boredom).

Be aware of breed bans in certain parts of the city. Denver, Commerce City, and Aurora do ban pit bulls, so if any of these pets are a pit bull, just avoid those cities. I would say get closer to downtown if you didn't have three pets, but finding a place that's going to accept them near there, in your rental budget, along with the hassle of not really having a great park system right in that area is going to be a bit rough.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmet View Post
Arvada and Lakewood wouldn't be too bad, either using public transport or driving. Lakewood near 6th avenue has a light rail line that will get you directly into downtown easily, while Arvada has several park-n-rides with express buses getting you right downtown during peak traffic hours and a light rail line on it's way. Thornton also has a couple of park-n-rides with near constant express service downtown, and you will get a lot more apartment for your money (note: you will also die of boredom).

Be aware of breed bans in certain parts of the city. Denver, Commerce City, and Aurora do ban pit bulls, so if any of these pets are a pit bull, just avoid those cities. I would say get closer to downtown if you didn't have three pets, but finding a place that's going to accept them near there, in your rental budget, along with the hassle of not really having a great park system right in that area is going to be a bit rough.
Thanks Blackmet! The info you included is just what I need!

No Pitbulls, so that's not an issue. But yes, 3 dogs is an issue, although I've found smaller units and individual landlords who are willing to rent to me, with a higher deposit (I'm OK with that) but was just trying to figure out if being close to school and paying higher rents, vs driving and paying a lower rent but also paying for parking near school would be worth it.

Thanks again!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You want:
1. A rental that will accept you + 3 dogs.
2. Easy public transit to school.
3. $1400/mo max rental budget.

Classic linear programming problem.
You need to solve it.

When you find a place/apartment/house that you thinks fits, then ask us our opinion.

I've already found apartment complexes and private landlords within a 20 min drive / approx 45 mins on the bus each way. I'm just trying to figure out if living close to school would be better (not having to pay for parking in a public lot near school, shorter commute, etc) or if it would be better to live further away, pay a lower rent, get a monthly parking pass or a monthly bus pass, and commute daily. I haven't been able to find info on the cost of monthly parking fees in public lots close to 19th & Market. Any suggestions ?

Old 08-02-2013, 10:51 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Seek and ye shall find

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
cost of monthly parking fees in public lots close to 19th & Market. Any suggestions ?
Denver Parking Coupons | Central Parking Denver > 1801 Market Street
$150

Old 08-02-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Thanks, Dave!!

Old 08-02-2013, 05:27 PM

51 posts, read 116,559 times
What part of Nashville are you from? I'm from there and could recommend comparable areas. Are you more an East Nashville gal, a 12th south/ gulch/ belmont type? Belle meade/green hills? Antioch? Sylvan Park? As we both know, these are all very distinct types of Nashvillians. I'd strongly recommend places in Lakewood around the W light rail line, or Englewood might be a good fit even. You can take the C line all the way downtown in 20 minutes. It will feel like a nicer version of home. It's super easy to get downtown, there are park and ride stations to take a car to the station in inclement weather, and you don't have to worry about parking, tickets, rush hour congestion. Your school may even have a discount for students. If you go out to bars more than once a week, then there are different neighborhoods to consider. These will be nice areas to live in though.

Last edited by Mort_canard; 08-02-2013 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Almost forgot about Englewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver