Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 9,338 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving back to Denver this spring and are looking for advice on areas to live that have top notch daycares/preschools/elementary schools. We haven't bought a home yet, and would like to make sure that wherever we move, we are in a great location for our little peanut (9 mo). We are looking to live in a community filled with young families like ourselves that has easy access to desired amenities. We currently live in DC and have a great nanny, so I am interested if anyone has information on the nanny situation in Denver as well.

Additionally, since I am being so bold to ask for so much help, what's it like getting into good preschools? In DC it obviously costs an arm and a leg, and the wait list is unreal. Is Denver the same?

Finally, since my husband doesn't have a job yet, and I will be working from home, we aren't locked down to any location, but imagine that we will be looking to live in Denver or one of the surrounding suburbs. We aren't particuarly interested in HR or Littleton at this time.

Thanks in advance,

JBJF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 11:42 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJF View Post

Additionally, since I am being so bold to ask for so much help, what's it like getting into good preschools? In DC it obviously costs an arm and a leg, and the wait list is unreal. Is Denver the same?
It can be.
I would think that tuition in Denver would be lower, but the competition to get in can be stiff.
Some children just go directly into private schools' prek.
Others attend preschools and go on from there.
All of the "best" preschools have a waiting list. Staff members and directors field many calls every day. And sometimes "who you know" can grease the wheels.
All of the "best" public elementaries operate by lottery (Denver Public Schools have open enrollment.)
There can even be competition to get certain nannies. Sometimes nannies get bought out from under one mom, and move on to another.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:13 PM

14 posts, read 84,318 times
Hey JBJF

We just moved out here, and had the same concerns. We ended up in Centennial, south of the Smoky Hill road, and have been very happy so far. We have a 2.5 year old, and have found a great Montessori close by. There are lots of options out here, and with a little planning, it's not too hard to get in at most places - worst case scenario you get on a list for a short while, and send them somewhere temporary in the meantime.

The elementary schools out here are in the Cherry Creek School District - they're all pretty damn good, but some are exceptional, e.g. Willow Creek. Our local school (Trails West) is not bad, but we're probably going to try and get him into Willow Creek when the time comes - it's not our closest school, but CCSD has schools of choice, so if there's space, and you can transport, you have a good chance of getting in. I chose against buying in the Willow Creek neighborhood mostly because you get sooooooo much more for your money on this side of the park, the HOA aren't quite the nazis they are in Willow Creek, and the people are a little more normal out here (Willow Creek seemed to full of dads called Chad and Skip in khaki shorts and tucked in polos, shouting at kids doing little league practice). Poor buggers!

Anyway, just remember - it's the parents that make the difference when it comes to education - be as involved and supportive as you can be in every step of their education, and they'll do great. And don't get too wrapped up in school stats - you're kid isn't going to do 7% better if they go to school X rather than Y - if you're good parents, they'll do 7% better wherever they go!

Good luck!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:11 PM

369 posts, read 966,191 times
Check out Stapleton, it's where all the folks from Denver go when they have kids, want a new house, and can't make the leap out of the city.

The local DPS elementary school in Stapleton, Westerly Creek, isn't great right now, but you won't have to worry about that for a while. By the time your little one gets to that age, I imagine the school will be much different. There are tons of nannies and pre-schools around - several Montessori's, a Waldorf, DU has the Rick's Center, Denver Co-op, Wash Park Co-op, etc.

Stapleton

Lowry is a smaller New Urbanism infill project, just a bit south of Stapleton.

Generally speaking, Denver Public Schools is a struggling big city district with declining enrollment. The top elementary schools are in high priced areas relative to the metro area, and are probably Steck (Hilltop neighborhood), Southmoor (Southmoor neighborhood), Bromwell (Cherry Creek neighborhood of Denver, not the school district), and Slavens (Wellshire neighborhood). Other good ones are Steele (Washington Park) and Asbury (Platt Park).

You can look them up here:

School Accountability Report - School Search (http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp - broken link)

Old 11-20-2007, 10:49 AM

23 posts, read 214,254 times
Hi Wilberfoss,
do you mind telling me the name of the Montessori you referenced to? I have a 2.5 yr old and a 3.5 yr old. We are moving to Denver around Mar/Apr. It's hard trying to line up day care for them when we are still out of state. Thank you.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 20,516 times
Another really good preschool is Paddington Station on the corner of 13th and Quebec, in East Denver. The school starts with a 2's class and is a feeder into the Stanley British Primary School which is an amazing, but very expensive, private K-8. We had no problem getting into Paddington and loved the staff.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 8,781 times
Another vote for Paddington Station! We love this play based pre-school, and my son has thrived there the past 3 years! I can't tell you how wonderful of a place it is. We live in Stapleton and have been very happy here as well. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 8,719 times
Hi JBJF,

Thanks for your intial post. We are in the process of making the same move and have the same questions with regards to housing and schools. Your thread has given me some useful information. Good luck on your move!

Old 02-27-2008, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,922 times
I am also moving to the Denver area probably in the summer/fall. I believe we are going to be looking at the north end of town, possibly Arvada / Westminster / Broomfield / Boulder, etc. Does anyone have any recommendations on Preschools in that area. I have a 4 year old who is currently in a Montessori based preschool right now, and have been very pleased with her progress.
Thanks!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:36 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,165 times
I've heard good things about compass montessori. It's public and they have a campus in Golden and Wheat Ridge. They do have a preschool.
Compass Montessori School | Home Page (http://jeffco.k12.co.us/charter/compass/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver