Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:08 PM

7 posts, read 22,582 times

Advertisements

I am close to getting a job in Denver - the office is in the southeast of Denver, near Colorado Blvd. and Florida Ave. My wife and I are coming from Orange County, CA. We plan on buying a house in 6 months to a year, depending on the market and income. In the meantime we would like to rent and we're looking for an apartment that would be very close to my office (i.e. within a mile or two), yet in a safe, clean part of town. Is that possible in that area? If so, could you let me know of any complexes or places that would fit the bill? I've read some reviews of some apartments around there and they sounded scary. We plan on coming up there but having some places narrowed down to check out would be very helpful. If there isn't a suitable place then I'm thinking then maybe to check out Englewood? Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 07:20 PM

237 posts, read 1,081,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal2colo View Post
I am close to getting a job in Denver - the office is in the southeast of Denver, near Colorado Blvd. and Florida Ave. My wife and I are coming from Orange County, CA. We plan on buying a house in 6 months to a year, depending on the market and income. In the meantime we would like to rent and we're looking for an apartment that would be very close to my office (i.e. within a mile or two), yet in a safe, clean part of town. Is that possible in that area? If so, could you let me know of any complexes or places that would fit the bill? I've read some reviews of some apartments around there and they sounded scary. We plan on coming up there but having some places narrowed down to check out would be very helpful. If there isn't a suitable place then I'm thinking then maybe to check out Englewood? Any help would be great.
First of all, congratulations on your move!

Second, you have to take so-called reviews with a grain of salt. Not only are two different people going to have two completely different experiences, but I doubt the validity of all of the reviews (in any category) available on the Internet. You & your wife are the only people who are going to know whether you feel safe in a particular area. It's essential to go out and try a few apartments out before you decide.

I'm not familiar with Denver proper or the southeast area. However, I've recently made the move to Colorado and explored Denver extensively. I love the area & am so happy to be in Colorado.

If you're looking for a place on the outskirts of the city, I would consider Arvada or Littleton. Littleton is next to Englewood. They have some wonderful rentals in that area. Louisville has some extremely nice apartment complexes, but they are much pricer than Arvada/Littleton & are located farther from southeast Denver.

It's very difficult for anyone to answer your question, though, without more input. (Rental budget, whether having a garage is necessary, how big of a complex you're looking for, do you need washer/dryer hook-ups?)

Going on generalizations, though, I will share with you the apartment complexes that I've had personal experience (haven't lived in them, but have driven-by @ night, been inside of them during the day, etc.) and would recommend to anyone for consideration.

Warwick Station, Westminster
Copper Ridge Apartment Homes, Louisville
Grand View at FlatIrons, Louisville
Water Tower Flats, Arvada
Camden Centennial, Littleton

These aren't the only nice rentals in Denver, just the ones that I can personally recommend. I wish I had a better knowledge of Denver proper for you, but hopefully someone else does.

Best o' Luck to You

Old 11-20-2007, 08:08 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
I would look into places west of Florida and Colorado or South of I-25 off of Colorado. I would not live in any area of Glendale which is just north of Florida on Colorado. Glendale is not a part of Denver; it is a separate municipality. It is noted for many bars, young drinkers and cheap apartments. It is not very large and extends to Alameda on Colorado.

The area west of Florida takes you near Washington Park area of Denver, somewhat expensive.

The area south of I-25 is a nice stable area and has good shopping and is safe--that is around Iliff, Yale and the old Southgate Plaza area and south toward Hampden. These are all nice areas, good shopping and right down the road from Florida and Colorado. This is where I would live in this situation.

The area north of Alameda, toward the Cherry Creek area of Denver is very nice and safe.
It has convenient shopping but housing can be more expensive.

Just avoid Glendale.

I am not familiar with individual apartment complexes.

livecontent

Old 11-21-2007, 02:13 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,974 times
This is a good area with many business along that route (Colo Blvd.). I used to work right at Colorado Blvd. and Florida. However, I do not know of apartment complex in that area, most of it are older single family homes.

The closest one that I found for you is The Lakes At Monaco Pointe, 6165 E. Iliff Avenue. I do not any info about it, however.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
If you want to live within a mile or so of your office, just drive around and look for apt complexes in that radius. You will get a feel for the apts by looking at them. Also look for "for rent" signs posted.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:42 PM

thank you, this has been helpful. I would welcome any other comments from any of you out there.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:36 AM

256 posts, read 1,403,879 times
find some apartment complexes and then go to apartmentratings.com

Old 11-23-2007, 01:45 PM

355 posts, read 2,403,139 times
I am moving near Florida & Parker Rd, I believe. It is right near the Lowry area. I hope this is a good area, my apt is very nice, because I'm about to sign a 1-year lease!! I'm going to close to Stapleton, Cherry Creek, downtown, etc. I think I picked a good location. I've heard the areas in south Denver are pretty decent. If I were you, I'd also check out Apartment Ratings - Apartments for Rent with Ratings and Reviews from Actual Renters. Good luck to you.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:34 AM

I'm coming for my final interview this Tuesday. Where does Glendale start exactly?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:44 AM

271 posts, read 1,380,910 times
Glendale is an enclave of Denver, but is administered by Arapahoe County. It's roughly east of Colorado Blvd, north of Mississippi Ave, south of Leetsdale, and west of Monaco Parkway. Though I'm guessing some of the eastern portion of that area isn't actually in Glendale, but that's what I gather from their website: Home Page (http://www.glendale.co.us/TemplateSingleHTMLText.aspx?P=dfeb6170c0ac4f97aa61 3493e9617484 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver