Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:56 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
So let's just clear up one thing right now, by calling him off a deer I don't mean he was enjoying a nice deer hunt. What I mean is that we were walking together, ran into a deer, and I quickly called him to my side and heeled away.
I figured that, and I wasn't there of course, but I've seen that stuff get out of hand unbelievably quickly in our local mountains and forests. Also, there's a good possibility that he could be sniffing around in the bushes, just out of leash distance, and something would be "ON" him before you could call or whistle or even see it.
Quote:
Sorry you had such negative experience with off leash dogs. I never let my dog go to other people uninvited. We see people, it's right into a heel.
Then you are a welcome exception, but you know that everyone thinks their dog is well behaved and doesn't go to other people uninvited, right? If they thought otherwise, then they would probably not be letting their dogs off leash unless they are total jerks which would also be an exception.

This could real easily unravel into an unpleasant argument and I don't want that to happen so I'll just re-assert this one point: Our parks and open spaces have leash laws except in specially designated areas. It's up to you to decide whether or not following them is the right thing to do. The fact that you even made the effort is to ASK is a step in the right direction though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 12:59 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
I like Cottonwood Canyon State Park by Franktown, far I know, but within 1 hour. Rangers are mellow saw dogs on and off leash, just go on a slower day.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:12 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Go to Boulder. They have off leash trails. Whether you think your dog is well trained or not please don't walk him off leash in on-leash parks/trails. Off leash dogs chase away the wildlife that the rest of us like to see.

https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/dogs-on-osmp

Old 03-25-2014, 01:20 PM

897 posts, read 1,253,159 times
Thanks mic111, that right there is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Trails where dogs are legally allowed off leash. Like I said before, I don't want to be a nuisance

Old 03-25-2014, 01:27 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I like Cottonwood Canyon State Park by Franktown, far I know, but within 1 hour. Rangers are mellow saw dogs on and off leash, just go on a slower day.
You mean Castlewood Canyon, mayhaps?

Old 03-25-2014, 03:31 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You mean Castlewood Canyon, mayhaps?
I think dogs have to be leashed in all state parks. They are banned completely from trails in national parks.

Most municipal parks (JeffCo) require leashes as well.

The best place to hike with a dog off-leash (besides a dog park) is a non-park National Forest or Wilderness.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:49 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
Thanks mic111, that right there is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Trails where dogs are legally allowed off leash. Like I said before, I don't want to be a nuisance
There 3 dog parks in the Metro area that could be classified as more of an off-leash trail system, as opposed to a small park. They are Chatfield, Cherry Creek, and Elk Meadow (in Evergreen). I personally like Elk Meadow the best. It is a huge alpine trail system, with many trails and elevation changes. You can hike for miles with your dog running ahead of you. Check it out.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:01 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
The best place to hike with a dog off-leash (besides a dog park) is a non-park National Forest or Wilderness.
Not really allowed there either... Pike and San Isabel National Forests Cimarron and Comanche National Grasslands - Districts
"Q38. What are your rules for having pets in the National Forest?
A. They should be leashed if you are in a Wilderness area, a developed recreation area or on a heavily traveled trail that’s covered by a Special Order. Otherwise, your pets should be under voice control at all times."

Of course if you're way out there on a little forest trail no one will know or care and even I would not be irritated by something like that. But some might say that would be the WORST place to have your dog off leash if the likelihood of encountering things like coyotes, bears or a mountain lion is any higher.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:43 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
I support dog parks and designated off leash dog areas but with reasonable funding.

Unfortunately there are too many problems with dog owners ignoring regulations and it makes many people uncomfortable and also unsafe in some situations. So, then there is the opposition and will always be opposition as there always will be the bad dog owners.

If what is done and funded by government for dog owners is not enough to satisfy their total needs, then I suggest they band together with their own funds and buy a large piece of land. Perhaps form a club with dues to use the land and have all that dog owners and dog lovers and dogs will enjoy. They can have a private kennel and a on staff vet.

That is not so unreasonable to suggest. As many groups with specific interest form private clubs. There are private tennis courts, golf course, soccer clubs, curling clubs, swim clubs, athletic clubs, dance halls, shooting ranges, gun clubs, polo clubs, equestrian centers, rodeo groups etc.

There are privately funded camps and hunting lodges all over the Rocky Mountains. There are all the ethnic clubs from Polish to Italian which build an maintain private meeting halls. There are social clubs from the Elks to the Moose halls. There are privately funded VA halls and organization.

All these groups do not demand and expect the government to provide for all their desires and expect accommodation and funding---so why do dog owners think they are something special?

Of course many of the interests and activities are partially satisfied by public recreational centers and parks but government cannot solve all situations for all groups all the time. There are budgets constraints and we all cannot get what we want.

So, spend some of your own money to supplement public facilities just like other groups do.

Form your private canine clubs and buy your own land and your own trails--then you will be free to do what you please without interference.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-25-2014 at 06:17 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 08:14 AM

897 posts, read 1,253,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
There 3 dog parks in the Metro area that could be classified as more of an off-leash trail system, as opposed to a small park. They are Chatfield, Cherry Creek, and Elk Meadow (in Evergreen). I personally like Elk Meadow the best. It is a huge alpine trail system, with many trails and elevation changes. You can hike for miles with your dog running ahead of you. Check it out.
Elk Meadow definitely looks interesting so we might check it out this weekend. Thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver