Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 12:35 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times

Advertisements

Is Denver and Colorado a cool place to live. I was thinking of moving to Colorado or Arizona after graduate school. I love the West. What are the people like in Colorado? Is it a great place to live? -RL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 01:46 PM

306 posts, read 546,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvelynB View Post
Thank you all. We are going to look into Deerfield Apts. It has been 6 years since we have had to live in an apartment, so this will be interesting. I cannot believe how expensive Denver seems.

Is everything up there going to have sticker shock like the rental/housing costs have?

Housing in Denver is actually cheaper than my housing costs were in Nashville, TN (in a really, really nice neighborhood in Nashville) so I'm pretty happy with Denver, and it's also been much cheaper than it was where we lived in California. Gas is cheaper in Denver compared to CA, but more expensive than Nashville.
Food was cheaper in CA, but about the same as it was in Nashville but with better options for fresh produce at more reasonable prices in the winter (in Denver vs. Nashville).

Good luck with Deerfield! I just signed a lease at another apartment community. It's been 15 years since we've lived in an apt!

Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 PM

10 posts, read 12,437 times
We are currently in Huntsville, AL which seems like the cheapest place on earth right now. haha.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:33 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,510,442 times
I can't believe what rentals are going for in Denver. It's getting comparable to L.A.
Zillow report: Median rental value up 9.4 percent over past year in metro area | kdvr.com

Old 08-21-2014, 09:17 PM

306 posts, read 546,385 times
Quote:
We are currently in Huntsville, AL which seems like the cheapest place on earth right now. haha.
Oh yeah, now I understand!! Yes, Huntsville housing is wonderfully reasonably priced. I used to visit Huntsville pretty often for a year when I lived in Pulaski, TN. Huntsville was a great place to visit to get out of Pulaski for a few hours

I hope you guys like Denver. I think you will. You'll get used to the cost of living once you start your jobs out here because for the most part you make much more money here than you do in the South, and Denver is beautiful!

Old 08-22-2014, 06:56 AM

254 posts, read 513,473 times
Do your homework to eliminate the shocks - there are lots of posts related to housing, rental prices, and renting with pets. So there's really no excuse for shock, given the vast amount of information that is publicly available.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:31 PM

It's all of the research I am doing that's given me the shock.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:53 PM

I have found a possible option in South Thornton - I am wondering what the commute would be like with traffic from South Thornton to Mid to North Stapleton.

Thank you guys for all of your help. We are getting so incredibly excited to move!!!

Old 09-05-2014, 09:10 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Quote:
I have found a possible option in South Thornton - I am wondering what the commute would be like with traffic from South Thornton to Mid to North Stapleton.

Thank you guys for all of your help. We are getting so incredibly excited to move!!!
Although I do not commute I think your in for a miserable time. I25 to 270 is almost always miserable during commute hours. You could try taking 85 down. I don't know if it would be better because if it was everyone would take it and then it wouldn't be.

Where in south Thornton? I might be able to give an opinion on the area. However you are much better off living in Stapleton or nearby if you are going to work there. The money you save on rent you will burn on gasoline commuting and you will waste your life away sitting in traffic. Also your pups will miss you. Better to pay more and walk or bike to work. Spend more time with the dogs too.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:26 PM

The problem is that I have only found 3 apartments that will allow 3 pets. So my options are pretty limited. I don't mind commuting about 30 minutes each way. I cannot find anything in Stapleton that will accept 3 pets. It's actually further north than I thought - the apt is a little south of hwy 44, about where it intersects with 25. The google maps says about 17min with no traffic, but I have been to Denver and know that traffic can be a serious issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver