Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:13 AM

11 posts, read 13,683 times

Advertisements

I really hope I'm not repeating another cliche thread. I'm trying personalize it much as possible!heres the deal... In less than a year I'll be a college graduate with a nursing license. I'm in my 20s... Single without children. And essentially I can move to any state I desire. Being from the Midwest I've learned to hate harsh winters. I've lived near myrtle beach and I love the weather and the beach but I've learned "palm trees don't equal paradise" as I've heard from a similar thread. MB was just awful. I could rant for hours. Anyways everyone I know who lives in colorado loves colorado. I'm considering denver. Everyone says everyone there is so laid back, there's so much to do and lots of young men! But I don't want to part the ocean...I just love sunshine even if it means humidity and I'm a beach babe at heart. I've traveled to boston NYC Chicago Philly etc and I just don't feel like those cities are right for me and I'm not sure I want to deal with east coast winters. Maybe florida? Maybe North Carolina? Arizona ...? I'd go to cali if I had the money. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 07:00 AM

656 posts, read 1,343,807 times
Denver, like any other city, has ups and downs. Same with Raleigh. Nursing, you can do anywhere, so that's not an issue so much. If you're so attached to the beach, Colorado isn't the place. But, there are other reasons to be here. If the beach is a factor, NC fits the bill, but you'd want to be closer to the beach than Raleigh, for sure. South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware.... they have beaches, too. IMO, it all gets old after a while.
I love Colorado. I moved here from NC, and I'm a native of MS. But, you'll have to deal with Winter weather. Hurricanes or snow... choose your poison. Having been through several hurricanes - including Katrina and Rita - I'll suffer the snow any day.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:07 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,135,328 times
If you love sunshine, then you could make a go of it in Colorado. The sun shines most of the time, even in the winter. It does get cold here, but it is not the bone-chilling humid cold of the Midwest. You will see a lot more snow, but the sun comes out and melts it within a few days. Winter days with highs in 40s and even low 50s are not uncommon, but neither are highs in the 20s. The sun will make it feel warmer than the actual temperature.

If it is truly the beach and humidity that you love, go somewhere else. Denver is an island in the middle of the prairie. You will have to drive for 8 hours to find another city of comparable size. Also be aware that if your beach experience is limited to Ft. Meyers, then you could be in for a shock. The Gulf Coast has the warmest water around. The water temp in North Carolina is a good 5-8 degrees colder than the Gulf. The water in Southern California is much colder (about 10-15 degrees colder) than the Gulf.

Do a search on nursing jobs in Denver to get an idea what the nursing job situation is here in Denver.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:42 AM

25 posts, read 41,681 times
I moved to the Denver area from Myrtle Beach 1 year ago on the 27th. I love it here. Last winter was not bad. there were a few days when it was brutally cold, but for most of the winter all I had to wear was a fleece jacket. You would think when it is 20 degrees outside it would be miserable, but that is not the case. If the sun is shining, it can feel quite pleasant. As a golfer, I enjoyed that aspect of Myrtle Beach. As someone who works in IT, I hated it. Since I am not a professional golfer, I had to go where the jobs are. That being said, I have played golf in every month I have lived here. Come visit Denver, it is a great city with lots to do. The view of the mountains is to die for. While there is no beach, you will find no shortage of other things to keep you occupied.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:08 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,215,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola_adelle View Post
I really hope I'm not repeating another cliche thread.
No. Most threads about moving to Colorado have specific questions. Evidently you want people to beg or sell you on the idea of moving to Colorado. Certainly not cliche.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:31 AM

6,870 posts, read 9,409,413 times
I've heard that salaries for nursing are very low in Colorado when compared to other states, so keep that in mind.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:06 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,696,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola_adelle View Post
But I don't want to part the ocean...I just love sunshine even if it means humidity and I'm a beach babe at heart.
I grew up on the Atlantic Ocean and I think it gets into your blood! I moved to Colorado in 1970 and while I love the mountains, I always missed being by the ocean. When we retired in 2010, I definitely wanted to move back to the water, so we ended up in Hawaii. Now I get to spend part of the year by the ocean and part of the year in the mountains.

You are still young, so why not spend a couple of years in Colorado? You could try out many different areas until you find what personally works for you. You might end up somewhere for 40 years like I did!

Old 09-14-2014, 04:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I've heard that salaries for nursing are very low in Colorado when compared to other states, so keep that in mind.
Not very low, but lower than on the coasts. Higher than in SC (which I know is also on the coast, but not in the NE).
Nurse Salary | Nursing Salary | Nurse Pay | Nursing License Map
Slightly higher than the national average.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:01 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,631,462 times
Shameless plug for neighboring state - you might also check out New Mexico. From the link in the post above, our average rate is a little lower ($63k vs $66 k) but our cost of living is significantly lower, which would save you money in the long run. We also have a serious shortage of qualified medical people, nurses included, and the pay rate might be higher in the smaller cities (which is pretty much anywhere but Albuquerque). Central NM has great weather, northern NM gets some snow but not horribly bad (except ski areas which are supposed to get it), and South NM has milder winters but hotter summers.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:19 AM

411 posts, read 855,166 times
Agreed that Myrtle Beach is a pit. With that in mind, sounds like Charleston might be a good fit for you. Very vibrant city and good hospital system (MUSC and Roper Hospital). It can be pretty hot during the summer, but the winters are generally mild (in the 30s). It's a college town which means there are plenty of young people. There are a good amount of young professionals as many stay on after school and many are in medical school too. The cost of living on the "Peninsula" can be expensive but there are many other options. Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver