Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 06:28 AM

75 posts, read 171,736 times

Advertisements

"Ideal climate" is relative. So is what one person considers extreme or mild or livable. There are any number of factors that contribute to this. To condemn someone for thinking Denver has a mild climate (to them) is just as myopic as someone condemning a person for thinking it's not mild.

I was born and raised in Boston and have now lived in Houston for 14 years and I can firmly tell you I would trade the weather in Boston/Denver for Houston's any day. FOR ME the summers here are virtually unlivable. The furnace can turn on as early as late March and stays on well into mid/late Oct. And the summers are just as crippling as a long winter. Where they keep you inside because it's just way too hot to do anything outdoors besides going to the store for essentials. Constant heat advisories and people dying because they can't stay inside anymore and want to do some extended outdoor activity.

So for every extreme winter there are places where the opposite is true. That doesn't even take into account what other health issues may exists that make living in warm climates more difficult (and there are a lot). For that reason everyone's ideal climate doesn't include 90 degree weather (humidity or not). For me I would take the long winter knowing that eventually it will end with a warm less humid summer knowing that it will end also. In other words variety. Houston there is really only two seasons with the worst one lasting what feels like 9-10 months out of the year.

Having lived in both climates with long snowy winters and long steamy summers I find it much easier and more desireable to get out and do things in the winter vs a Houston summer. You can dress and prepare for the cold/snow and actually make use of it (we ski/snowboard). In the summer here there is not much you can do before the heat sucks the life out of you and you have to go back inside. Being outside running errands only to come home and just want to lay down because you have no energy left.

Last edited by jshwon; 07-14-2016 at 06:51 AM..

Old 07-14-2016, 06:59 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshwon View Post

Having lived in both climates with long snowy winters and long steamy summers I find it much easier and more desireable to get out and do things in the winter vs a Houston summer. You can dress and prepare for the cold/snow and actually make use of it (we ski/snowboard). In the summer here there is not much you can do before the heat sucks the life out of you and you have to go back inside. Being outside running errands only to come home and just want to lay down because you have no energy left.
I agree with this sentiment.

I'm allowed to wear a coat in to the office when it's cold out. Cannot wear shorts and a t-shirt in to the office in Vegas this week. Still have to wear a suit and its 110.

Personally, I'm uncomfortable over 80 degrees. My biggest complaint about Denver's weather is that it gets too hot.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:15 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
CO climate lovers generally have these things in common:

1. A great disdain for humidity
2. An appreciation for winter and being out in the snow
3. A great disdain for overcast days
4. The variety of weather changes possible in a given day, week, and month
5. Not too much interest in plants or greeness
6. And most importantly, the ability to get outside and have the acceptable weather to do your activity, because people here are outdoor activity focused
1. Agree
2. Agree
3. Disagree. I enjoy overcast days. It gives a break from the intense heat of the sun in summer and I love a good gloomy day from time to time. What I don't like is weeks on end of not seeing the sun between November and February.
4. Eh. It is what it is. Edit: the more I think about it, I do enjoy the variety over the course of a week or month - it keeps things interesting.
5. Disagree. I care about both plants and "greenness". There are plants in Denver. I have beautiful peonies, clematis, hostas, lilies in my yard and I enjoy my membership at the Botanic Garden. I understand that there are some things I can't grow here. It's the price I pay for low humidity and bug population. I'm ok with that. When I start to question that compromise, all I need to do is travel to a lush, green part of the country for a few days in July or August. I get over it pretty quickly.
6. Agree.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-14-2016 at 07:40 AM..

Old 07-14-2016, 07:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

IMO, there are a lot of places in the US that have pretty decent climates, basically anywhere except the great plains and upper midwest (and Alaska). If you like it or not depends on preferences for precipitation amounts, temps, and variety.

CO climate lovers generally have these things in common:

1. A great disdain for humidity
2. An appreciation for winter and being out in the snow
3. A great disdain for overcast days
4. The variety of weather changes possible in a given day, week, and month
5. Not too much interest in plants or greeness
6. And most importantly, the ability to get outside and have the acceptable weather to do your activity, because people here are outdoor activity focused
First of all, I don't think the upper midwest is *that* bad, though I do admit to never having lived there. I follow Minneapolis' climate closely b/c my daughter lives there, and I've visited several times in different seasons, though never the dead of winter.

Now to take your points:

1. I don't "disdain" it but I find it much more comfortable here than in Champaign, 1000 miles to the east on the 40th meridian.
2. Agree. I like snow. I kind of miss the snow we got in Champaign, that sticks around for a couple of weeks/months.
3. When we first came here, I thought, "I miss these days where the sun doesn't come out at all". Now, I think, "Isn't the sun going to come out at all today?"
4. Agree
5. Another thing I miss from a wetter climate. I/we are inveterate gardeners, as are many on here.
6. I'm not too outdoor activity focused, but I do like that the weather rarely interferes with one's planned activities. You can plan a picnic, and actually eat outside. Even if it rains, it'll be over in a little bit. It's rare for a baseball game to be totally rained out. You can plan an outdoor birthday party, wedding, etc.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:48 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
For the price people pay for a house in Denver, they could live in Western San Diego County.

It is far hotter then downtown San Diego of course but it is stil far better on climate then Denver.

Similar temperatures in the summer with mild, San Diego winters and no snow.
No way Western San Diego County is as affordable as Denver is. I assume when you say Western San Diego you speak of the beach areas?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:04 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I don’t know but there was a thread on here a while ago about a shipping container house in Denver listed at $749,000. Everybody here seemed to think it was a great deal. So I guess people are willing to pay California prices for Denver real estate, despite the less then ideal climate. Then again, if you are willing to pay three quarters of a million dollars for $20,000 worth of recycled shipping containers, I guess you probably don’t care where they are located.
I grew up in San Diego and my folks just moved from there. Denver is getting expensive but it is still quite a long way off from being as expensive as Southern California.

I have looked at moving back and it is just not feasible.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:12 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
"If you don't like the weather, wait 5 mins" is a well known saying about Denver and Colorado in general...that is how I would describe it here "dynamic".
I think this only applies when we get the occasional afternoon precipitation. But typically, hourly weather is pretty consistent IME. What I do like are the cool summer mornings. What I don't like are the hot summer afternoons. But at least it's dry.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:14 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I grew up in San Diego and my folks just moved from there. Denver is getting expensive but it is still quite a long way off from being as expensive as Southern California.

We are moving in the direction very quickly. I don't believe we're as far off as people think. And if it came down to the two, I'd much rather live closer to the ocean (and mountains) as opposed to just mountains.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:16 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I agree with this sentiment.

I'm allowed to wear a coat in to the office when it's cold out. Cannot wear shorts and a t-shirt in to the office in Vegas this week. Still have to wear a suit and its 110.

Personally, I'm uncomfortable over 80 degrees. My biggest complaint about Denver's weather is that it gets too hot.
I'd agree. But at least it generally cools off nicely at night. That's a huge plus for me. We love being able to sleep with our windows open during the summer. Being able to open the windows periodically throughout the year - I dislike stale air regardless of whether it's due to heating or air-conditioning. At some point, gotta open those windows!

Old 07-14-2016, 08:20 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post

Give it a few more years. A quick Google shows that housing prices (depending on what type of housing you are looking for) are about 8% to 42% more in San Diego then Denver. With the current trend, the prices should be pretty comparable in another five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver