Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:32 PM

289 posts, read 450,638 times

Advertisements

I've loved everything about it here from day one. But just this year, and just very recently, I feel that I'm kind of over it. One things for sure: I am not at all looking forward to the snow this winter, when in the past I would jot down in my journal the date of 'the first snow of the year.' I so looked forward to it!
I want to be able to run to the store without scraping my car, putting on socks (I live in flip flops), sliding around the roads, etc. I don't really mind the cold, it's mainly just the snow.
Maybe I've just outgrown it? I don't really know. And I don't know where I would go if I left. Grew up in Miami but I know that's a place I definitely don't want to be.
Anyone find themselves in the same predicament? What did you do/where did you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 10:47 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box*of*rain View Post
I've loved everything about it here from day one. But just this year, and just very recently, I feel that I'm kind of over it. One things for sure: I am not at all looking forward to the snow this winter, when in the past I would jot down in my journal the date of 'the first snow of the year.' I so looked forward to it!
I want to be able to run to the store without scraping my car, putting on socks (I live in flip flops), sliding around the roads, etc.
Maybe I've just outgrown it? I don't really know. And I don't know where I would go if I left. Grew up in Miami but I know that's a place I definitely don't want to be.
Anyone find themselves in the same predicament? What did you do/where did you go?
I work from home, so this weather just means I hunker down and order a lot of restaurant delivery or eat frozen meals I've prepared in advance.

The year before I left Jersey to come here, we had a winter of almost constant snow. We're talking like 2 or 3 storms that dropped over 12 inches and then numerous lighter snowfalls. But in addition to that it was constantly gloomy, the snow didn't melt between the storms and everything was gray and ugly. Add in that there weren't any warm days like we tend to get here, and it was perfectly miserable.

And then there was my senior year in high school, some 20 years ago, when I was trapped in my house for 2 weeks in January due to a massive ice storm. They canceled the first week of school after winter break. That was insanely awful.

So these snowy Denver winters aren't really bothering me at all. With the more reliable sunshine, I don't get the SAD that I'd get in Jersey, and my weather-related sinus headaches are not as bad as they were on the east coast. (Seriously, the allergist I visited told me I wasn't allergic to anything but that I was instead a "human barometer.")

I suspect the "norm" in your formative years is what makes the current winter so unbearable. My childhood norm is entirely different (and on the other end of the spectrum), so this stuff is just a minor annoyance.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:35 PM

402 posts, read 369,395 times
You could try California. Especially in southern California, we don't get snow, or actual cold weather, ever. If you live in flops you'd fit right in. Just prepare to double your tax burden.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:07 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
About half the country's population lives in less than 10 inches of snow on average a year, not hard to find a place. Everything from heat and humidity to the extreme like Florida to the dry desert southwest to cool and damp like the urban areas of the Pacific Northwest.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:04 PM

473 posts, read 849,131 times
Quote:
putting on socks (I live in flip flops)
If I ran a country wearing shoes outside of the house would be mandatory. You may wear sandals at the beach, and to the park if you like.

I can commiserate with the rest however given this past week.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:18 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
If I ran a country wearing shoes outside of the house would be mandatory. You may wear sandals at the beach, and to the park if you like.

I can commiserate with the rest however given this past week.
Ha ha... the no "Mandles" campaign! I might vote for you.
Seriously, I see them all the time here where I live in So. Cal. where the COL is high, and you live like sardines unless you're a big earner, but you live outside a lot!

Old 11-17-2014, 10:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
I've loved everything about it here from day one. But just this year, and just very recently, I feel that I'm kind of over it....
I don't know where I would go if I left. ...where did you go?
Left a CO ranch after 28 yrs (too crowded and expensive in 1980) and moved to income tax free WA state. (30+ yrs there)
SW area, west Columbia Gorge (Mtns).
Little snow (3-4x / yr, few inches)
Little ice (2x/ yr)
LOTS of drizzle 200 days / yr
Lots of GREEN
not water issues.
Beach one hr,
St Helens one Hr,
Mt Hood one hr,
Columbia River / hiking / pics 2 min

20 min to Portland (lots of entertainment / food / airport / colleges)

You can wear flip-flops with socks, but Birkenstocks and wool socks is the norm.

You should try several places, but I am not headed back to CO (I keep a PT place there).

Many great choices for you! And a free country to enjoy!

Old 11-17-2014, 10:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Climatologist: 30-Year Cold Spell Strikes Earth Might be that clobal cooling coming on.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:14 PM

656 posts, read 1,341,345 times
Quote:
I want to be able to run to the store without scraping my car, putting on socks (I live in flip flops), sliding around the roads, etc. I don't really mind the cold, it's mainly just the snow.
I grew up in Mississippi. My first duty station in the Army was Fort Drum, in 'sunny' Upstate New York. Never saw snow like that in my life (before or since).
After my ETS date, I swore I'd never leave the South again.
So I moved to Colorado four years and about one week ago.
I've given up on trying to figure out how it all panned out.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:29 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
I don't really mind the cold, it's mainly just the snow.
First, to the OP: Your user name is my very favorite song.

I spent many years in Colorado before I left. I arrived as a teen in '68, left in 2005 after living in Denver, Ft. Collins, and Boulder.

Like you, it was less the cold than the snow that really got to me, (plus Denver was getting awfully crowded, and I had always missed the ocean.)
I hated winter driving conditions. The dry and sunny winter days did not make up for the tree-breaking/heart-breaking fall and spring snowstorms.

We ended up in Northeast Florida. Have met quite a few Floridians from down south (Miami and other spots) that ended up here. We definitely have a change of seasons, but snow is *very* rarely a part of it.

I agree with Stealthrabbit that it would be good if you could try more than one place, of course that is easier said than done. The northwest of the USA has always intrigued me, but I don't know if I could take the constant drizzle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver