Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:02 PM

20 posts, read 129,836 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving to Denver in the next 6 months. We have a 5-month old daughter too. I grew up in San Diego and Central Florida. But I've lived in Quebec, Canada and London, so I know what cold is. My husband has lived in London his whole life, so he knows all about it too. We are trying to find a place to settle down and raise our daughter (and any other kids that may come along!). From all the research we've done (without actually visiting), Denver seems like the best place. It seems to have low cost of living (unlike where we live now!), and so much to do. We like sports (both court sports and outdoor sports). We really want to learn how to ski.

Well, I'm scared about making such a big move (even though I've moved so many times before). Especially with such a young baby. My husband has already started applying for jobs, as we've decided that he probably needs to go ahead of me and baby. But he hasn't had any bites yet. We are both accountants. We don't have any idea of what area we want to live in, where the good schools are, etc. We are probably not going to have the chance to visit before we move. We are doing this completely blind (with only our research online), as the plane tickets are around $700 each!!!

I'm also concerned about good day care for my daughter. Any help you all could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 01:38 PM

676 posts, read 2,796,250 times
Well first of all moving to denver from an amazing area like that might be a bit of a culture and climate shock for you. Things here are going to be a world of difference. Also what type of living conditions are you looking into? Suburban? urban? rural? those are going to make a big difference and if at least one of you come out just to get a scope of things that would be best.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:57 PM

We're definitely not looking for urban living. I like living in the "country", but my husband is from London, so we'll probably have to split the difference!

We want to be within commuting distance from our jobs, but like I said before we don't have jobs yet!).

The Caribbean is beautiful, but the island we live on is only about 20 miles long. And everything is so expensive. For example, my electricity bill last month was $418. I did a comparison to rates in Denver based on my Kwh usage, and the bill would've been around $50. Not only that, but the island kicks foreigners off after they've been here 7 years, so we'll have to leave anyway (we've been here two years). Believe it or not, it gets boring going to the beach every weekend.

We really want wide variety of products and services (everything here is imported), and good schools for our kids. We LOVE the mountains, so would love to be close to them, but like I said, also close enough to commute.

Our plan is to get my husband a job first, and have him go there, and set up shop for me and the baby. I will stay here and try to get the house sold (it's going on the market next week) and join him as soon as possible. He was thinking of going to Denver at the end of January for the job fair, but like I said, it's not easy to just find a spare $700 for flights alone, not to mention hotels (we have to pay our electricity bill, remember?! ). I have been pretty reliant on this message board, and internet articles to find out all I can about the area. If we can manage to get the house sold soon, then we might be able to fly up there and have a look around.

From what I've read, southern Denver and Colorado Springs seem very nice...

Old 01-05-2008, 02:05 PM

17,998 posts, read 27,448,014 times
BLOOD CLOT!!!!!!!!!

You're moving from the Cayman Islands to Denver? Have you lost your MIND Gural? Rosta CLOT!!!!!!!!

What happened? Did you get sick of scuba diving? I can hear it now; (and keep in mind I got PADI certified at King Fisher Pond near Chatfield Rez about 15 years ago) But Colorado has more divers per capita than everywhere but FloridaBLAHBLAHBLAH... Where do these Divers go to dive? Caymans! Cozumel! The Caribbean, basically. I told my work buddies that I'm a certified diver now! They said, "McGowdog, you born a certified Diver!" But that's another story.

You gotta be where the action is if you're moving here. You may want to live in the hip Wash Park/Capitol Hill area and migrate further south towards Cherry Creek in the next few years as your child gets older.

My brother Marcus lived in Kingston for 5 years and spent 3 of it through the Peace Corp. He met some amazing friends out there and some of them had ties to Denver. There was this group in the Denver area that he was good friends with and we partied with often; Roots Redemption. One of the guy's mom owned an Ethiopian Restaurant out on Colfax and we used to go there to eat goat and hear them jam. They played in Boulder a lot (another fun place for ya) and I saw them at Ranger Days at Regis College (wasn't a U yet) whilst we were all tripping our heads off. Ah, childhood.

PS: oops. I didn't see your latest post since finishing this one. If you're sick of the ocean and don't want the urban life-as Gilda Ragnor would say, "Never Mind!"

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-05-2008 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 01-05-2008, 02:52 PM

49 posts, read 202,359 times
Nice to see that I am not the only looney, orginally from the land of roti, soca and steel pan.... I'll be up in Denver come June, 2008!

Old 01-05-2008, 03:13 PM

I'm actually originally from Trinidad too! We moved to the States when I was three, but we go back often, and I still have lots of family there. And we also hope to be in Denver by June. My husband is just waiting to get his green card stamp and then we'll be able to go. He should get it in the next few weeks.

Does anyone know how warm it gets in Denver in the summer??? I do like the cold weather, but it can't be cold all year round!

Is there a West Indian demographic in Denver? Or will I have to get my roti imported???

Old 01-05-2008, 03:36 PM

49 posts, read 202,359 times
Everyone says that Denver has a mild winter... Here are the averages
Average Weather for Denver, CO - Temperature and Precipitation

We are moving from southern California, and we also have a 4.5 month old boy. Anytime I have visited Denver, one thing always struck me, I have never seen so many kids in any one area, seems like a great area to raise children.

We don't know where we will live, we will have to get the pulse of the area when we get there, but we are considering Aurora, Highlands Ranch or maybe Castle Rock.

Oh yeah, the Caribbean Bakery on Colfax makes some good Roti on Saturdays.

Later

Old 01-05-2008, 03:44 PM

60 posts, read 479,822 times
Default Hey, great news for you accountants!

My wife is a CPA and you won't believe all the jobs open for accountants! You guys won't have any problem finding work. Check out Robert Half International. Great recruiters! We are moving from Dallas to the beautiful mountain town of Evergreen. We have a 2 year old daughter. I cannot wait to get out of here! Good luck to you and your family.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,154 times
am also from the carribean,freeze mi rass of in chicago for 25 cold!!! years until i moved to denver 5 years ago. denver is one of those city that is comfortable and easy to get around, its not intimidating or overcrowded.it doesnt have much in ethnic food but when you find one its really worth your while. there is a little known secret call "bring yuh hungry belly" run by ms. blossom. she caters the best jamaican jerk chicken this side of jamaican. its sumptious, seasoned so balanced and that fresh allspice wakes up your tastebuds and just lingers on your palate. the meat is deliciously tender and just falls of the bone. ,you should also taste another of her specialty, fresh carrot juice, not just any carrot juice now.. this one taste like the smoothest, freshest ice cream, you have ever had.. her fried fish and dumpling is to die for.. me and my friends do about two orders a week... ms. blossom's hungry belly is nestled between cherry creek and washinton park.. her phone number is 303 587 2799

Old 02-09-2010, 12:01 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csqui523 View Post
From all the research we've done (without actually visiting), Denver seems like the best place. It seems to have low cost of living (unlike where we live now!), and so much to do. We like sports (both court sports and outdoor sports). We really want to learn how to ski.
True on the low cost of living, especially compared to other U.S. cities of similar size and desirability.

Definitely plenty of court sports and outdoors sports. For court sports there are local athletic clubs and nationally owned things like Gold's gyms.

Quote:
Well, I'm scared about making such a big move (even though I've moved so many times before). Especially with such a young baby. My husband has already started applying for jobs, as we've decided that he probably needs to go ahead of me and baby. But he hasn't had any bites yet. We are both accountants.
You aren't going to get any bites. The job market isn't good, even for local candidates.

Quote:
We don't have any idea of what area we want to live in, where the good schools are, etc. We are probably not going to have the chance to visit before we move. We are doing this completely blind (with only our research online), as the plane tickets are around $700 each!!!
No worries there. There's plenty of good neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver