Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,403 times

Advertisements

Planning on moving to the Denver area in June this year. Why June? That's when my lease is up and I want to get away from the eastern shore of Maryland asap. Looks like the cost of rent in Denver is rising and it's making me very nervous. I am 28, I have a Bachelors Degree in photography and I am currently working 2 jobs. My main job is in sales at a local furniture store making around $42k a year. I'm planning on moving with my boyfriend, a student/veteran who has had a hard time finding work in this area during the winter and my younger sister who currently works as an assistant manager at a retail store here. We live paycheck to paycheck but my dad has offered to help us move and we are working on saving up some money.

We want to move to Denver because we love everything it has to offer. We took a trip last October and had an amazing time. We took a tour of City Hall and fell in love with the history of the city. We love the public transportation, the active lifestyle, and appeal of a big city that's not as large or ridiculous as DC or NYC. I keep asking myself, can we afford this place? Here we pay around $900/month for a very small 2 bedroom apartment. I'm also wondering what the job market is like? I've heard there are a lot of homeless people. I'm slowly starting to apply for jobs this week and I know I'll find something, I just hope it will be enough. I really hate my job here and don't want to stay another year. I'm also very worried about my boyfriend finding work because he's had such a hard time here during the off season.

Another thing I'm interested in is the very small black population. We are about 35% black in my area but I think Denver is less than 3%. I grew up in mostly white neighborhoods so I'm very comfortable in a mostly white environment but I'm wondering what the black community (if there is one) is like in Denver. We also live in a very conservative part of Maryland (actually the reddest part) and it's no fun. We are liberal atheists and would like to find a community that shares similar values that we do. I've heard that Denver is very liberal but what about the outside areas of Denver? Are people very religious there? We probably cannot afford to live in the city and will have to settle with renting somewhere outside Denver. We really liked Lakewood but I'm wondering which neighborhoods we should consider renting in. Biggest factors though are price, public transportation access, and a place that is 420 friendly.

Sorry this is so long. I know you guys don't know me or my life but please try to give me some honest advice if you can. Am I making the right choice moving to Denver this year?

-Jeanaye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 07:23 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default The gods preserve us, another one.

1. Spend 4+ hours reading posts in this Denver forum. Start with today and work back in time. Stop at the 4 hour mark. You will learn a lot.
2. Black population of the City & County of Denver is 9%. Of the City of Aurora: 10%. For the entire state: 4%.
3. Atheists (I am one) are welcome. Actually, no one gives a crap.
4. Oh f--k, 420.
5. Rents are high and going higher. After 4 hours of perusal, you will understand. At $900/mo, you will be homeless also. Think $1500 for the 3 of you.
6. We don't have on/off seasons in Denver. That is a mountain town attribute.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:30 PM

687 posts, read 915,816 times
Sounds like you guys are not in a position to afford Denver. Denver from what I'm reading is more expensive than the Western shore, the Annapolis to DC to Balt.Burbs triangle.

On a side note I saw the mouth of the South River (Western Shore) frozen today up to 40 feet out from the shore, but at 11° even a river that size can partially freeze over.

I graduated from a local university on the GI bill and it was hard working part time while going to school and harder finding decent work afterwards. In the end a friend recommended me to his employer and I work in a completely different career field than what my degree was in. At least it was already earned and I'm not in debt over it.

Anyway aren't you guys a little old to be liberals? You might consider giving Libertarianism a chance. We don't care how other people live their lives as long as they don't harm others and many are pot friendly, even if they themselves are not users.

What's your issue with "those evil conservatives" anyway? Have you actually been bothered or harassed by anyone? If find that very unlikely. You may end up being unhappy anywhere you go if you're always looking over your shoulder for those "evil conservatives" who might be hiding around every corner out to oppress you at any given moment.

Ok, sarcasm aside for now, as far as your original concern goes: sounds like your lives are too unstable right now to make such a move. Wouldn't that hurt your boyfriend's degree attainment? His credits may not carry over. Will you have a job lined up? If you do move to Denver you'll likely pay high rent to live in a "trendy" area. The towns around Denver are conservative, but you'd know that since you already looked at a map of the political landscape.

Or take a chance and go for it.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:35 PM

Okay so lots of reading to do. We are screwed. I will now start applying for jobs like my life depends on it until 3am....

Old 02-06-2015, 08:08 PM

Honestly we are not in a position to afford any place but there are no opportunities for us here on the eastern shore. If what you say is true about Denver being more expensive that the DMV area then I need to do more research. If I land a decent job in Denver then all of this worrying will probably be for nothing but if not, then we may have to reconsider our options. My boyfriend grew up poor and is okay with being poor temporarily at least until we get on our feet. My sister and I grew up middle class and I'm honestly not about that life but I will do what needs to be done. *sigh* I would love to live in a nice place but if we can only afford a crapper then so be it. We want to make this work.

Boyfriend is already looking into where he can transfer and all that good stuff. His idea originally to move out here so I'm sure he'll cover his bases there.

I have a few friends that are left leaning libertarians, good for them. I don't think all conservatives are evil, I just tired of living in a place where the large majority of the population doesn't share my political values. I don't like feeling like an outsider all the time, everyone can understand that.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:37 PM

694 posts, read 1,039,707 times
Today must be "move to Denver" day on this forum.

You are not going to find a decent 2 bedroom for $900. You will need employment to rent. Jobs with a decent salary are not plentiful, unless you are being transferred here by a company you work for, or are a newly minted MD, JD, or CPA or in a highly technical field in high demand. Moving here without a job means employment in the service industry (fast food or a hotel or restaurant at best)

You must be a Colorado resident to apply for a state job.

Last edited by JohnnyDenver; 02-06-2015 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: New word

Old 02-07-2015, 09:53 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Denver proper is likely out. You might fnd something you can afford in Aurora, in the area near the municipal center. You would have access to public transportation, be close to the Aurora Community College and lots of retail. The area has a very diverse population.

Cottonwood Trail Apartments For Rent in Aurora, Colorado - ForRent.com

Garden Pointe Apartments For Rent in Aurora, Colorado - ForRent.com

Ridge Hill Apartments For Rent in Aurora, Colorado - ForRent.com

Park Place at Expo Apartments For Rent in Aurora, Colorado - ForRent.com

Old 05-19-2015, 06:54 PM

457 posts, read 646,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayeight View Post
Planning on moving to the Denver area in June this year. Why June? That's when my lease is up and I want to get away from the eastern shore of Maryland asap. Looks like the cost of rent in Denver is rising and it's making me very nervous. I am 28, I have a Bachelors Degree in photography and I am currently working 2 jobs. My main job is in sales at a local furniture store making around $42k a year. I'm planning on moving with my boyfriend, a student/veteran who has had a hard time finding work in this area during the winter and my younger sister who currently works as an assistant manager at a retail store here. We live paycheck to paycheck but my dad has offered to help us move and we are working on saving up some money.

We want to move to Denver because we love everything it has to offer. We took a trip last October and had an amazing time. We took a tour of City Hall and fell in love with the history of the city. We love the public transportation, the active lifestyle, and appeal of a big city that's not as large or ridiculous as DC or NYC. I keep asking myself, can we afford this place? Here we pay around $900/month for a very small 2 bedroom apartment. I'm also wondering what the job market is like? I've heard there are a lot of homeless people. I'm slowly starting to apply for jobs this week and I know I'll find something, I just hope it will be enough. I really hate my job here and don't want to stay another year. I'm also very worried about my boyfriend finding work because he's had such a hard time here during the off season.

Another thing I'm interested in is the very small black population. We are about 35% black in my area but I think Denver is less than 3%. I grew up in mostly white neighborhoods so I'm very comfortable in a mostly white environment but I'm wondering what the black community (if there is one) is like in Denver. We also live in a very conservative part of Maryland (actually the reddest part) and it's no fun. We are liberal atheists and would like to find a community that shares similar values that we do. I've heard that Denver is very liberal but what about the outside areas of Denver? Are people very religious there? We probably cannot afford to live in the city and will have to settle with renting somewhere outside Denver. We really liked Lakewood but I'm wondering which neighborhoods we should consider renting in. Biggest factors though are price, public transportation access, and a place that is 420 friendly.

Sorry this is so long. I know you guys don't know me or my life but please try to give me some honest advice if you can. Am I making the right choice moving to Denver this year?

-Jeanaye
Well, don't be surprised that you've gotten hit with a bunch of naysayers on this forum, telling people that you're black and wanting to move to Denver. Does THAT tell you anything about Denver's "black community"??

Most of Colorado seems all-white. The nonwhites in Denver are concentrated in some of the dodgy areas, and also Aurora which is the "airport suburb." I've seen some nonwhites in Lakewood as well. Boulder would be OUT OF THE QUESTION with any brown pigmentation in your skin whatsoever. You'll probably be followed by the police on a regular basis for every little reason until you LEAVE (much like Sedona, Arizona!)

I've had a Pueblo Indian with light skin, in New Mexico, tell me that SHE had "skin too dark" to get a job in Colorado. WTF?!?!? She looked WHITE to me!! That give you any indication of what Colorado would be like?!

There's a reason people are saying "don't come here" and "Denver, and government jobs ONLY, which you have to be Colorado resident already to apply for."

As for a general "what's going on with the rents" there, I think that overall, Denver just thinks it's San Francisco or something. I can't figure it out either!!

Old 05-20-2015, 09:26 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
Well, don't be surprised that you've gotten hit with a bunch of naysayers on this forum, telling people that you're black and wanting to move to Denver. Does THAT tell you anything about Denver's "black community"??

Most of Colorado seems all-white. The nonwhites in Denver are concentrated in some of the dodgy areas, and also Aurora which is the "airport suburb." I've seen some nonwhites in Lakewood as well. Boulder would be OUT OF THE QUESTION with any brown pigmentation in your skin whatsoever. You'll probably be followed by the police on a regular basis for every little reason until you LEAVE (much like Sedona, Arizona!)

I've had a Pueblo Indian with light skin, in New Mexico, tell me that SHE had "skin too dark" to get a job in Colorado. WTF?!?!? She looked WHITE to me!! That give you any indication of what Colorado would be like?!

There's a reason people are saying "don't come here" and "Denver, and government jobs ONLY, which you have to be Colorado resident already to apply for."

As for a general "what's going on with the rents" there, I think that overall, Denver just thinks it's San Francisco or something. I can't figure it out either!!
Wow.

First off Aurora is not an Airport suburb. It is not far from the airport compared to other Denver Metro communities but it certainly isn't next to it.

You are very wrong about being black and living in Denver. They are not all concentrated in certain undesirable areas. How much time have you spent in the city and how do you come about your information?

You have no idea what Boulder is like.

Denver doesn't think it is San Francisco and has never tried to be. Rents go up because the demand is up. There is a lack of inventory to purchase homes. People are flooding into the state right now for work and for affordable housing (believe it or not). Denver is still less expensive than a lot of other places.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:31 AM

897 posts, read 1,253,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post

Wow you are so far off your rocker it's amazing you can even type. Seriously, do you even live here?

"Denver just thinks it's San Francisco or something" , because we warn people of the high COL compared to the rest of the country? Or because we have a higher COL than the rest of the country? Either way, I think some therapy might in order...

OP - there have been so many complaints about us posters making Denver seem like a utopia so I think posters have now moved in the other direction with many warnings and disclaimers. Yes rents are high and still going up. How high will they rise? We couldn't tell you, but you have been warned. Denver is increasingly expensive and congested but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else (especially not New Mexico!)

Last edited by ayoitzrimz; 05-20-2015 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver