Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:26 PM

9 posts, read 9,679 times

Advertisements

Hi all...I'm 29 and my husband and I are moving to Denver in August. We love Denver and have always wanted to make it our home. I'm wondering where the best places to live are and if it's somewhat easy to find jobs...My husband has been a manager for 10 plus years at a cell phone company and I am an administrative assistant. So far we have been looking into living in Littleton, Lonetree or Aurora. Are there any other good areas anyone can suggest? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 12:31 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Lots of good areas in the Denver metro area. Parts of Aurora near the Denver city line are said to be a bit sketchy but outer areas are fine.

Really big issue for getting you some decent advice is job location(s) and your budget to rent or buy as the markets are tight and prices/rents are high now.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:05 PM

We plan on finding jobs once we get moved...I would preferably like to work semi close to where we would love. I know it'd probably be best to have a job beforehand but until we find a place that will have to wait...Thanks on the advice about Aurora we may look elsewhere now ��

Old 03-15-2015, 01:19 PM

15 posts, read 26,517 times
Don't live in Aurora or lower downtown. They are terrible areas. Lone Tree is seriously pricey. You may want to consider Parker, Highlands Ranch, and Centennial if you're looking for a suburban feel. Boulder and Highlands if you want a hipster feel. If you have kids Parker and Highlands Ranch are the absolute best places to live. Oh! And stay away from Green Valley Ranch as well. Housing prices are dirt cheap there for a reason! Littleton is interesting. Its huge. And there are parts that are the boonies, and cute parts. If you live in the area of Littleton that borders highlands ranch and centennial you're in a nice, cute area. The other parts, not so much. The great thing about Parker and Highlands Ranch specifically are the family friendly environments. Both cities host tons of family activities and programs. Highlands ranch has rec centers included in their HOA's and Parker has an adorable historical Main Street with a huge park and waterpark.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:28 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Need a budget to help.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:28 PM

Wow thank you for all of the information this helps us out a lot!!��

Old 03-15-2015, 01:31 PM

We are looking to spend up to $1,500 for rent. We also have 2 Boston Terriers but so far every place we have looked at is pet friendly. We are trying to find a house or duplex not an apartment.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:05 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
I work in the same field as your husband, and while the market is stable, I'd still recommend having a job first before making the move.

Most jobs in telecom out here will be in the DTC area. This is something to keep in mind when looking for a place. Not all will be, but a majority of them will be concentrated here.

Aurora is the third largest city in the state of Colorado, so it varies depending on where you are. Some areas are great, some, not so much. You'll have to consider schools as well--Aurora largely falls into two districts: Aurora Public Schools (which apparently are problematic), and Cheery Creek Schools (considered to be one of the best districts in the Metro Area.)

Budget and commute time will also have to be factored in.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:52 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkieapple View Post
Don't live in Aurora or lower downtown. They are terrible areas. Lone Tree is seriously pricey. You may want to consider Parker, Highlands Ranch, and Centennial if you're looking for a suburban feel. Boulder and Highlands if you want a hipster feel. If you have kids Parker and Highlands Ranch are the absolute best places to live. Oh! And stay away from Green Valley Ranch as well. Housing prices are dirt cheap there for a reason! Littleton is interesting. Its huge. And there are parts that are the boonies, and cute parts. If you live in the area of Littleton that borders highlands ranch and centennial you're in a nice, cute area. The other parts, not so much. The great thing about Parker and Highlands Ranch specifically are the family friendly environments. Both cities host tons of family activities and programs. Highlands ranch has rec centers included in their HOA's and Parker has an adorable historical Main Street with a huge park and waterpark.
Most of Aurora is just fine. The East Colfax corridor is about as bad as it gets, but it's really no worse than Montbello or Green Valley Ranch.

IMNSHO Parker is great...if you never have to leave Parker. Otherwise you're gonna have to deal with craptacular traffic because egress into and out of the city is pathetic.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:07 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
You will need serious budget help. Unless you lived in Bozeman or Kalispell, you'll have sticker shock at the wages (as low as Montana for your positions) and real estate/rental markets (higher than Kalispell or Bozeman). Based on the article in the Denver Post today, you could get into a 2bd/2bth but your pet rent will push you over your budget. Typically, it is in the 200-300 range per month. When I lived in Denver, it wasn't per animal but I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing that now. You should ask about the pet deposit or rent if your landlord doesn't bring it up.

I will second other posters that you should not move to Denver, or Colorado for that matter, without a job. I hated every minute living in Parker and wouldn't recommend it to anyone except horse people with too much money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver