Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 02:20 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,465,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eearhart View Post
I tend to disagree because there is definitely a lot of good info. It's up to the reader to decipher fact from slant, and I think it's usually apparent if someone has an opinionated/emotional response versus a straightforward fact-based answer. Gotta do the work and trudge through the responses. It's been pretty helpful for us.

I'm also from the 'burgh. I bet you are enjoying the cloud-to-sun ratio difference out there (though I realize the 300 day thing is a bit of an urban legend)
Yeah you can't beat the weather, especially this time of year! It was gray overcast and 19 in the burgh today. i dont miss that at all! The fall is nice there though and the city itself is astitically pleasing.

If you want to move to CO, come here but not on vaca. Drive the burbs or wherever your work will be. No matter how awesome a place is, it will suck pretty quickly if you dont have a job or can't afford to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 02:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_astro View Post
This is good info. Thanks.

I assume by living closer to downtown you're not getting all that much land, correct?

I'd be willing to put up with a longer commute if it meant we'd get more land and not have neighbors right on top of us as I've unfortunately seen in quite a few of the photos of homes in the Denver area we've looked at.
Lots here are generally not large, period. Now before some weisenheimer comes on here and posts six links to large-lot homes, not I said "generally". There are a few large lot subdivisions, mostly on the fringes of the metro area, and a few places where lots are 1/4 acre or more, but for a standard subdivision home, not usually.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:09 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,503,369 times
Quote:
Reasons:

- High cost of living.
- Traffic
- Pretentious neighbors (too much keeping up with the Joneses, driving Mercedes and Cadillacs to pick up your kids at public schools, new $1.5 million McMansions going up every day, etc.)

We've looked at a lot of sites regarding Denver and think we have a pretty good understanding of what we'd be getting into:

- Still kinda expensive
- Magnificent scenery
- 300 days of sunshine per year
- More relaxed pace of life
- Real Estate prices still pretty high

If this seems inaccurate or incomplete, please let me know.
I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Denver has all the same issues. High Cost of Living, Traffic. Not sure about the pretentious neighbors, I suppose that depends on the community.

Magnificent scenery? only if you enjoy looking at mountains, otherwise it's a semi-arid area with little greenery and lots of rocks.
Super dry air, bring your humidifier, moisturizer and a case of chapstick!

More relaxed? I don't think so, but that's my opinion.

Weather is definitely nice and yes, there's lots of sun, but that also means frequent sunburn.

You need to visit and spend some time in Denver before getting too excited. Some love it here, but for me it's just meh.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 03-28-2015 at 03:28 PM..

Old 03-28-2015, 03:44 PM

450 posts, read 508,681 times
I'm not a Realtor so I (think) this is OK to share... Google this address in Evergreen: 31110 Manitoba Dr Evergreen, CO 80439.

I have not seen it, but I live close by and I know what it's like. Wilmot Elem. School has been great for our girl. (I think all Jefferson county schools have a very good rating).

The house listed above sits on more than an acre, and has plenty of bedrooms/space. The park systems and recreation centers are abundant so I think the kids will have fun.

I love it up here!

Old 03-28-2015, 03:47 PM

54 posts, read 65,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Denver has all the same issues. High Cost of Living, Traffic. Not sure about the pretentious neighbors, I suppose that depends on the community.

Magnificent scenery? only if you enjoy looking at mountains, otherwise it's a semi-arid area with little greenery and lots of rocks.
Super dry air, bring your humidifier, moisturizer and a case of chapstick!

More relaxed? I don't think so, but that's my opinion.

Weather is definitely nice and yes, there's lots of sun, but that also means frequent sunburn.

You need to visit and spend some time in Denver before getting too excited. Some love it here, but for me it's just meh.

I get that Denver is growing, but I can't imagine that the COL, traffic, people, attitude, life, stress-level, general pace of life, etc. is the same as in the DC metro. I'm tellin' ya, we've been here for 11 years and it's pretty rough. That said, there are lots of threads on the good old DC-Denver debate

Old 03-28-2015, 03:55 PM

103 posts, read 464,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
I'm not a Realtor so I (think) this is OK to share... Google this address in Evergreen: 31110 Manitoba Dr Evergreen, CO 80439.

I have not seen it, but I live close by and I know what it's like. Wilmot Elem. School has been great for our girl. (I think all Jefferson county schools have a very good rating).

The house listed above sits on more than an acre, and has plenty of bedrooms/space. The park systems and recreation centers are abundant so I think the kids will have fun.

I love it up here!
I'll take the house, but only if the bear skin rugs convey.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:11 PM

450 posts, read 508,681 times
Put that in your offer!!!

Old 03-28-2015, 04:34 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,396,963 times
It is impossible to determine whether or not Denver would be a good fit for you. You've given us the same list of wants everybody else does. Beautiful scenery...blah, blah, blah. Have you ever spent time here? If so, what did you like? If not, have you considered coming in person to check it out.

The fact is that family life in Colorado is a lot like family life everywhere else in the country, only with a nicer view in many cases. Commuting to work and school, yard work on the weekends, and watching your kids play youth sports. Sorry to be so blunt, but this state is often held up as some sort of dream, when it's really just another large metropolitan area. Suburbs are suburbs.

If you've got a great job offer and a reasonable housing budget (it appears you do), you can make a nice life for yourself and your family.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:38 PM

694 posts, read 1,041,302 times
Quote:
I'll take the house, but only if the bear skin rugs convey.
This house will be gone by next week. I live and work on the mountains. When I was in my office this morning, I spoke to a local agent in the building who told me that last weekend he had a new listing in Conifer. 19 showings in 2 days which resulted in 3 offers all above listing price. Very few listings in the foothills.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:07 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,882,242 times
There are plenty of large lots and decent houses in Wheat Ridge.
That is the good news.

The bad news is that the for sale inventory in greater Denver keeps hitting record lows.

You will need a buyer's agent who is linked into the neighborhood of your desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver