Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 09:07 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,215,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
OK now I am going to go find some stats...

according to this we are in the top 10:

Stop! Denver in top 10 cities for red-light running

Stop On Red | National Coalition for Safer Roads
Methodology is " highest number of red-light running fatalities between 2004-2013."

So it ends up being pretty much the 10 largest car centric cities

Maybe "red light running" is a big hazard in urban Denver, but in suburban Denver where I have lived it is not a problem, and yes I am talking about the city and county of Denver

Old 10-16-2015, 09:08 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,523,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
turning left is the worst I've seen of it. after the light has turned red (not that 2 second grace period right before the yellow turns red), I've seen two, sometimes three cars blow right through the red arrow. what. the. ****.
Oh yeah 8th and Colorado is one of those intersections that is a ticking timebomb... something really bad is going to happen there because of the left turn lanes. That is why I don't sit down at the Starbucks there.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:38 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,125,647 times
I've never seen it anywhere else but my hometown of Washington DC. But the lights change at the exact same time. As your light turns red, the perpendicular light turns green simultaneously. There is no 1-2 second lapse between your light turning red and the other lights turning green.

I left dc at 20 years old (i'm 33 now), but from what I remember, there were very few people running red lights, for obvious reasons.

In theory, having the lights change simultaneously like that here in Denver should help cut down on red light runners....but would only create more accidents lol.

Ugh, 30% of you ****ing Denver drivers are morons. I say that with love lol

Old 10-19-2015, 07:59 PM

137 posts, read 197,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I think the red light running problem is a lot worse in Denver than it is in Chicago (my observation after living in Chicago for 2 years). Of course, in Chicago, if a person were to run a red light and hold up the cars that have the green light, they would probably have dozens of people blowing their horns.

Denver drivers are crazy.
The red light situation here is wild, and way worse than Baltimore/DC, where I just moved from.

The drivers in Denver/Colorado are categorically better across the entire driving spectrum here. For example, it's a rare occurrence to not be able to see the hood of the car behind me here, but in Bmore/DC it was constant. It was just how you did things: angrily. I have had no people speed up considerably when I made a left turn in front of their car with plenty of space here. I've also observed few people taking a turn signal as a sign of weakness and closing the space I was going to get into.

This red light thing is the only place where the driving here has been noticeably out of whack, unless you count silly things like people trying to be nice at 4-way stops and letting people go when they should and messing up the system.

Someone earlier in the thread used the term "aggressive" to refer to drivers here. Outside of a few nutbags, I find that to be a really comical statement.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
Having come here from Champaign, IL where red light running is also pretty bad (maybe a carryover from Chicago?) I didn't notice any difference. Not the done thing in the Pittsburgh area, where I grew up and learned how to drive.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:22 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,233,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppunk View Post
The red light situation here is wild, and way worse than Baltimore/DC, where I just moved from.

The drivers in Denver/Colorado are categorically better across the entire driving spectrum here. For example, it's a rare occurrence to not be able to see the hood of the car behind me here, but in Bmore/DC it was constant. It was just how you did things: angrily. I have had no people speed up considerably when I made a left turn in front of their car with plenty of space here. I've also observed few people taking a turn signal as a sign of weakness and closing the space I was going to get into.

This red light thing is the only place where the driving here has been noticeably out of whack, unless you count silly things like people trying to be nice at 4-way stops and letting people go when they should and messing up the system.

Someone earlier in the thread used the term "aggressive" to refer to drivers here. Outside of a few nutbags, I find that to be a really comical statement.
I agree. Way less "angry" drivers in Denver, which I view as a positive. I feel like people in Chicago wake up trying to find out ways to just be mad about life, which often manifests in commuting.

With that said, I have found the drivers in Chicago way more angry/aggressive, but not as fast as the drivers were in Denver. I can't believe how slow people drive on the freeways around here. It's like, "I'll practically take off your bumper by either cutting you off or riding your *** so close that you can see the tears coming out of my eyes in your rear view mirror." But, I don't dare do more than 3 over the speed limit.Total midwestern passive aggressiveness.

In my experience, Denver drivers are more polite, but drive faster on the freeway. They usually drive really fast on the freeways, but are still polite enough to signal lane changes. People in Chicago drive slower than they do in Denver, but are way, way more rude.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:12 PM

52 posts, read 81,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
turning left is the worst I've seen of it. after the light has turned red (not that 2 second grace period right before the yellow turns red), I've seen two, sometimes three cars blow right through the red arrow. what. the. ****.
I see this all the time... and this is why I run dashcams on both my and my wife's cars. I refuse to share in liability for a potential accident if I was not at fault, and dashcam proof that they other party ran the red would be invaluable in such a situation.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:48 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,059,591 times
Bottom line is, red light running is occurring in all cities and is DEADLY. I always make sure someone is coming to a complete stop before proceeding. Defense driving is my way of life.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:58 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,411,329 times
It happened again with that damn left-turn arrow. This time, while waiting to make a left, the drivers going through the intersection perpendicular to me decided to make lefts long after their light had turned red. End result? My left-turn arrow turned to red by the time the first car in the lane got to go.

WTF?

I am a Jersey driver - I just tend to mutter curses under my breath while driving. Passengers think I'm angry, but that's actually just my normal driving attitude. Despite that, I was never much of a "flip the bird" driver - I've been using it in the Denver area A LOT.

Also, why is merging so taboo here?

Old 12-15-2015, 02:33 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,523,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
It happened again with that damn left-turn arrow. This time, while waiting to make a left, the drivers going through the intersection perpendicular to me decided to make lefts long after their light had turned red. End result? My left-turn arrow turned to red by the time the first car in the lane got to go.

WTF?
They may as well just remove left arrows here, too dodgy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

Also, why is merging so taboo here?

Good question. I think the area is just prone to bad driving all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver