Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 03:11 PM

749 posts, read 581,006 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am planning to move to your fine city but do not like the identical wood frame
apartment and condo buildings in Denver and suburbs. Do you know any apartment buildings
composed of at least half brick? NOT downtown. I am open to all areas around. I did not see even
one such building on my recent tour around 2 weeks ago. Golden, Aurora, Castle Rock?
I hate living in a cluster of 30-40 identical structures. This is important to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 06:16 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Hi,
I am planning to move to your fine city but do not like the identical wood frame
apartment and condo buildings in Denver and suburbs. Do you know any apartment buildings
composed of at least half brick? NOT downtown. I am open to all areas around. I did not see even
one such building on my recent tour around 2 weeks ago. Golden, Aurora, Castle Rock?
I hate living in a cluster of 30-40 identical structures. This is important to me.
Lots of them. Pretty much any apartment building in Denver built before the 1970s is going to be 100% brick. You need to look in old neighborhoods. Try these areas. BTW part brick to me is the same as wood. A wood frame building with a thin layer of bricks on the front for decoration is still just a crappy wood building.

Littleton, around Windermere & Littleton Blvd. or Broadway & Littleton Blvd.

Englewood, East Hampden Ave. & Jefferson Ave. near the hospitals.

Denver, Federal Blvd. between Evans Ave. & Dartmouth Ave.

Along East Colfax Ave. in Denver and Aurora.

And of course anywhere in Denver Capital Hill.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 11-15-2015 at 06:33 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 04:08 PM

112 posts, read 141,123 times
There are a lot, but most aren't in nice areas. I've driven by some near Missippi & Havana, Peoria going towards i70, E. Colfax, W. Colfax across from Casa Bonita, SW Denver along Federal Blvd. Some in Sheridan, and then we lived in the ones on Broadway & Powers in the 1990s, as did a few of my friends. No AC, urine in the elevators, etc. It was still like that when I had a friend there in 2005. There's some in Westminster nearing N. Federal as well. And SE Denver off of Hampden past i25, and a ton off of Colorado Blvd. After i25, but before Colfax.

The nicest ones I can think of are apartments in Green Mountain that are behind the King Soopers off of Union & Alameda. There's brick townhomes and maybe some more brick condos over there too.

Wait, there are some off of Wadsworth & 9th or 10th avenue, Alameda & Carr street in 80226, and several townhomes. Hope that helps! There's probably a lot more too.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:12 PM

126 posts, read 145,594 times
Lots and lots on 8th Ave just east of Colorado Blvd by Trader Joe's.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:34 PM

473 posts, read 849,239 times
Make sure AC is offered (usually they'll have wall units) - as in the summer during a hot spell those 3-4 story brick buildings can retain heat like pizza ovens, even into the evening/night when it becomes comfortable outdoors.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:57 PM

369 posts, read 966,595 times
Actually constructed of brick or is a brick facade ok?

I'd guess that nothing made since probably the late 50s/early 60s will have actual brick supporting structure...any exterior brick after a certain point was just for looks...IIRC, Denver had fire codes the required all brick construction up util the late 40s.

I'd be more interested in the windows and HVAC than brick or not. Anything with actual brick support will be old and probably have bad windows and HVAC, unless someone's spent a lot on renovations. Heat will rise and in a multi-story brick building, the upper floors in the summer can get miserable - especially something built with no duct work (original boiler heat usually means no central air).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver