Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 08:47 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,571 times

Advertisements

80015 and 80016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 09:06 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
You can get snowed on from late Oct/Halloween thru Mother's Day weekend. For 5 1/2 years that we lived south of Denver, we experienced snowstorms, blizzards, ice and definitely cold temps.

Yes, most people can get use to the weather, but some can't and leave after moving there. When we lived there, we talked to one couple from So Calif. that told us "yes, there are different things we didn't like about So. Calif., but we sure didn't think that we get as much snow as we've got. We are packing up and moving back to So. Calif.."

If you do move to Denver metro, just hope you can handle driving in snow and slush. That is one thing you can't get away from when moving there. Good Luck!

Old 01-14-2016, 10:56 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times
Along those lines, for some who move here from warmer and more humid regions, they will be okay with snow at first (maybe even for several winters), but then it starts catching up with them. The snow and cold become more of an issue while also strongly missing the green and warmth. It comes together as sort of a double-whammy that pushes one back to his/her native climate. Not something to be ignored or taken lightly...

Old 01-14-2016, 10:57 AM

57 posts, read 99,355 times
It snows here, not much you can do about it other than learn to live with it and enjoy it to. Stay within a 10 mile radius of work and I like to add that Littleton School District is one of the best in the area.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:09 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musyq101 View Post
Thanks for your replies. Yes hate is strong word, let’s say I felt extremely uncomfortable. I’m sure eventually I would get the hang of things. Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.

Maybe, maybe not.

In talking with a lot of people, there are really only a few things that stand out in my mind that people dislike about winter.

1) Cold Temps - Denver gets cold, especially after the sun goes down. We do not however have months of sustained cold like Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, The Dakotas, Wisconsin, etc. It is not uncommon to have wild temperature swings here. A high of 60 in January one day, followed by a low of 15 a few days later. This makes our winters more tolerable to some, but if simply being around the cold is a big bother, Colorado is not for you.

2) Gray Skies - Many people hate the gray cloudy winters days that much of the Midwest and Northeast experience during the winter. Colorado is much sunnier than these other regions, especially during the winter. our lack of humidity and abundant sunshine make cold days feel warmer than they would in other places. Give me 30 and sunny in Colorado over 45, cloudy, and damp in Seattle any day of the week.

3) Snow - Some people don't like snow. We get snow, but it also typically melts pretty quickly. As mentioned above we have a lot of sun and warmer days in the winter. Enough so that snow doesn't stick around on streets for too long. Shady north facing areas may have snow for a lot of the winter, but this is a stark contrast to places further north.

4) Short days - We are further north than you in San Diego so you will have short days. Again, there are worse places to be in the winter for this.
Today's sunrise and sunset times:
Denver - 7:19am/4:58pm
San Diego - 6:51am/5:04pm
Minneapolis - 7:48am/4:56pm
Chicago - 7:16am/4:43pm
New York - 7:19am/4:52pm

Old 01-14-2016, 12:52 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times
I'd add that the "non-growing months" dominate. Deciduous trees and most plant life only start waking up around April or so, and start dying off in about October. So you really only have about 5 months of full normal foliage (May-Sept). But even in those months, you'll still not see the deep greens that are found in areas with more humidity. CO is definitely dry, and that has an effect on all vegetation. Persons used to a lot of deep greens and dense stands of trees sometimes find that depressing. It's completely a personal call.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 01-14-2016 at 01:24 PM..

Old 01-14-2016, 01:14 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
I'd add that the "non-growing months" dominate. Deciduous trees only start waking up around April or so, and start dying off in about October. So you really only have about 5 months of full normal foliage (May-Sept). But even in those months, you'll still not see the deep greens that are found in areas with more humidity. CO is definitely dry, and that has an effect on all vegetation. Persons used to a lot of deep greens and dense stands of trees sometimes find that depressing. It's completely a personal call.
Good point. I definitely missed that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver