Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could Watkins and Bennett become another Aurora suburb?
Yes 6 27.27%
No 16 72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:08 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times

Advertisements

There is the Ogalala aquifer which part of eastern Colorado lies on it. Some of it could be piped or stored in a man made reservoirs.

I think some people in this thread are anti-sprawl and want people to have no choice but pay for artificially high prices of homes so they're financially struggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 08:19 PM

112 posts, read 141,123 times
I thought a new development in Watkins was already in the works? Prosper Farms?

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/bl...community.html

&

New wave of development poised to roll across Denver's suburban fringe - The Denver Post

Although I can't find anything recent, the first was over a year ago. I did find the, "questions," proposed to the developers or whoever is planning this about the increase in traffic and things of that nature last year.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Oh you mean tornado country nah don't want to live there. There is a reason why things are cheap in Bennet. What you save you will lose on weather/toll road fees.

How did Green Valley work out no one wants to live there either.
People already live in tornado alley and are making through it fine in Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska. Secondly, they get more tornadoes than eastern Colorado, so I don't see your point. They have to pay a little extra for tornado insurance on their home, but the cost of their home and home owners insurance still comes out less than what you pay for in Denver metro. Someone who lived in those states could clarify it better than I could.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:20 AM

170 posts, read 246,345 times
I think it would take quite a while until those areas become suburbs of Aurora/Denver.
The reason is that there is quite a bit of land which is able to be developed between where I-225 and I-70 meet all the way to Bennett. As a matter of fact they are supposed to build quite a few homes where I-70 meets E-470. http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/bl...community.html. Close to 9,000 new homes.

Another thing is that even when these homes are built they won't necessarily be affordable and will probably start in the 300s.
The reason is that since there is a construction labor shortage home builders have to pay them a lot more than in the past.
Also, they have to get water rights for these homes. All of this makes it hard for home builders to offer cheaper homes further out and in most cases they don't have any incentive to build that far out when they can build denser housing closer to the city and have a higher profit margin selling these homes.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesare View Post
I think it would take quite a while until those areas become suburbs of Aurora/Denver.
The reason is that there is quite a bit of land which is able to be developed between where I-225 and I-70 meet all the way to Bennett. As a matter of fact they are supposed to build quite a few homes where I-70 meets E-470. http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/bl...community.html. Close to 9,000 new homes.

Another thing is that even when these homes are built they won't necessarily be affordable and will probably start in the 300s.
The reason is that since there is a construction labor shortage home builders have to pay them a lot more than in the past.
Also, they have to get water rights for these homes. All of this makes it hard for home builders to offer cheaper homes further out and in most cases they don't have any incentive to build that far out when they can build denser housing closer to the city and have a higher profit margin selling these homes.
To curb the rising costs, hire more people to build more homes, pay them less. The way Colorado is growing, it's NOT sustainable and another bubble will burst, knocking home prices 50% off their current prices. It's all greed, keep charging more and more for housing until the average home reaches $500k, people will start flocking out of Colorado, just like California.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:16 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times
Watkins and Bennett are rather far out. I hope Denver doesn't expand that far

Old 01-24-2016, 01:46 AM

Here's an article why suburb sprawl is good and urban yuppies are wrong.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...for-you-106494

Old 01-24-2016, 06:37 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
To curb the rising costs, hire more people to build more homes, pay them less. The way Colorado is growing, it's NOT sustainable and another bubble will burst, knocking home prices 50% off their current prices. It's all greed, keep charging more and more for housing until the average home reaches $500k, people will start flocking out of Colorado, just like California.
50% drop, huh!? How did you arrive at this number? As I have pointed out to you before, California's prices have not dropped and their population is growing. If we are indeed to become like California (which we are not n my opinion), why should this be different for us?

Finally, in what world can you simply hire more people and pay them less when there is a finite labor pool and low unemployment rates?

Just because you hope something is going to happen, doesn't mean it will happen. Your confirmation bias is astounding. Read counter points.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:04 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,701 times
No, not in the lifetime of anyone posting on this thread.
There is a lot of undeveloped and platted land along e470 that will be built on before Watkins or Bennett.

Thousands of Lots near murphy creek and buffalo run(?) golf courses. But few people want to live there because it is remote and windy and treeless (like Bennett and Watkins)

Old 01-24-2016, 09:11 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
California's population continues to grow, albeit slower than in the past. Interestingly, one significant issue facing California right now, and probably for the foreseeable future, is a lack of water. Hmmmm. Why does that sound familiar? So no, OP, I do not think expanding the Denver metro out to Bennett is workable. What is with this fixation of yours, btw? Do you have land out there to sell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver