Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 03:18 PM

43 posts, read 44,302 times

Advertisements

Over the past couple years Denver/Suburbs has been 2nd only to S.F. in cost of living/Rental increase. I'm in process of moving from an expensive ski town down to the Denver and surrounding areas. Over the past month I've gone down each weekend and initially looking between Fort Collins & Westminster boy was I taken back. Nothing I looked at was below $1300 a month, why are we doing this to ourselves our own people.

I receive a disability pension from the VA, additional stipend while I am sent back to school, and collect monthly dividends from investments, all which bring me up to about what the States average annual income is. I was blown away.

I have lived in some of the biggest cities in the US and Colorado's rent market is shaping up to be like theirs.

I've been told it's supply vs demand, and rates are getting to point that it's people can't afford it, many opting to live out of cars, or look into viability of RV's, yet those doing the RV thing complain how KOA's and RV parks are now upwards of $600 or above! WTF! People!

Before '08 when rent rose like this it basically forced people into buying as mortgages were cheaper than rent, well now that rent has risen so sharply across the US, even worse in some cities buying isn't an option because the housing market remains falsely inflated, and to buy even w/ top notch credit you must put down around 20%-30% down, if the average home in the US costs $200K that's $40K-$60K and if rent in US is so high to where we area already paying 30%+ of our income then saving for that down payment is not even possible.

It's almost as if they got us where they want us, retailers are seeing dramatic drop off in sales, because Americans are beginning to adjust their spending habits just to afford a roof over their heads.

Then we are seeing a run on land, between the government snapping up lands, and private investment firms doing the same, I'm getting the feeling that it's like were getting boxed in and forced to pay what ever they demand we pay?

We are seeing local municipalities begin to make laws against being homeless, or car camping etc.. This is funny it' s illegal in some places to be homeless, as if it's a choice, some of those homeless are told when arrested to leave town, in ohter words go be homeless somewhere else.

Car camping, I've done this a few weekends and had police approach my SUV telling me it was illegal, I knew in this town that no current law or statute existed they were attempting to do so, but it wasn't yet in play, always standing up for the other guy, I said what do you guys do w/ someone who is homeless or can't afford housing, one officer quipped tell them to get a job.

Disturbing because I'm seeing this attitude across the US, that it's not my problem someone is homeless but you must get out of my sight! Even though I personally am not homeless, it's painfully obvious most of us aren't far from it and if they continue to make laws against being homeless, or RVin'g, Car camping etc where will be go between the land being snapped up, and even places once friendly to Car campers and RV'ers for over night stays like WalMart are starting to change their policies. I understand there are man people who are dirt bags out there causing issues, but the majority behave responsibly.

What are we doing to ourselves people.

Last edited by Mac2279; 05-15-2016 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Gramar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 03:49 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Frankfort, KY is very affordable.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:53 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
I'm not sure I understand "falsely inflated".

I understand high prices are a problem for many. I don't see a solution though because while these prices may be a problem for some people, I think those problems pale in comparison to the problem that will be created if prices suddenly fall by 50%.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 05-15-2016 at 04:10 PM..

Old 05-15-2016, 03:54 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Frankfort, KY is very affordable.
And he's not even working, so it's not like proximity to an employment center is a factor here.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Give Portland OR a try.

Milder climate,
City of bridges... River view and no property taxes!
Get a grocery cart, a hungry looking dog, a cardboard sign, and find a busy intersection.

Portland also has "Dignity Village", city sponsored homeless camp (permanent and with bus service to town to pan-handle and eat at the missions. Probably free city bus pass as well).

But... Do not go to Portland looking for work. Many have been 'priced out'. Capitalism happens. Look at ND and the nearby oil locations in CO and WY. Sometimes you can't find a room for rent for 100 miles, other times, you can't GIVE away your home.... No buyers, no money, no jobs.... BTDT in Colorado myself. Stuck with a home that wouldn't sell in the 1980's when interest was 18% and jobs were no where to be found. Last yr that pristine mtn view home sold for 5x what I got for it, but that does not mean it was a good investment.

Do what is best for you, but remember.... No-one else will do it for you, and if they are even willing... It is gonna cost your dearly. (Think 'financial managers', real estate sales, car sales, dr. Lawyer... They all come at an amazing cost, sometimes thousands of dollars per hour).

Life is not fair, get used to it.
Come to Nirvana (Portland), many have survived very well for decades in Nirvana. . Works for some!

Old 05-15-2016, 04:57 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I'm not sure I understand "falsely inflated".

I understand high prices are a problem for many. I don't see a solution though because while these prices may be a problem for some people, I think those problems pale in comparison to the problem that will be created if prices suddenly fall by 50%.
They are falsely inflated because he cannot afford them.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:00 PM

194 posts, read 273,240 times
You are very wise and can see what is going on with debt slavery and the false propping up of the economy. If the price of food were going upward at the rate of 7 or 8 percent each year would we all be patting ourselves on the back and telling ourselves how wonderful economic conditions are? Or would we be rightly concerned if incomes were not also going up at a similar rate? Would we do the same with shoes and clothing?

Old 05-15-2016, 10:59 PM

74 posts, read 85,072 times
When will people go join the city board or city council. Get involved,get other people involved, voice your opinion along with others and try to make a change from the inside(because this is one of the few things you can change using this method). I see people complain about how they are being forced out of Denver and then colorado, but yet they complain and moan about it and then complain when you suggest one of the other two big cities that are cheaper they refuse and act stuck up(because denver is this perfect city and no other city can compare, Even though both are around 1hour and a half each way and you lose next to nothing).
If you care so much about your city, do something about it and fight for your home.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:11 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2279 View Post
Over the past couple years Denver/Suburbs has been 2nd only to S.F. in cost of living/Rental increase. I'm in process of moving from an expensive ski town down to the Denver and surrounding areas. Over the past month I've gone down each weekend and initially looking between Fort Collins & Westminster boy was I taken back. Nothing I looked at was below $1300 a month, why are we doing this to ourselves our own people.

I receive a disability pension from the VA, additional stipend while I am sent back to school, and collect monthly dividends from investments, all which bring me up to about what the States average annual income is. I was blown away.

I have lived in some of the biggest cities in the US and Colorado's rent market is shaping up to be like theirs.

I've been told it's supply vs demand, and rates are getting to point that it's people can't afford it, many opting to live out of cars, or look into viability of RV's, yet those doing the RV thing complain how KOA's and RV parks are now upwards of $600 or above! WTF! People!

Before '08 when rent rose like this it basically forced people into buying as mortgages were cheaper than rent, well now that rent has risen so sharply across the US, even worse in some cities buying isn't an option because the housing market remains falsely inflated, and to buy even w/ top notch credit you must put down around 20%-30% down, if the average home in the US costs $200K that's $40K-$60K and if rent in US is so high to where we area already paying 30%+ of our income then saving for that down payment is not even possible.

It's almost as if they got us where they want us, retailers are seeing dramatic drop off in sales, because Americans are beginning to adjust their spending habits just to afford a roof over their heads.

Then we are seeing a run on land, between the government snapping up lands, and private investment firms doing the same, I'm getting the feeling that it's like were getting boxed in and forced to pay what ever they demand we pay?

We are seeing local municipalities begin to make laws against being homeless, or car camping etc.. This is funny it' s illegal in some places to be homeless, as if it's a choice, some of those homeless are told when arrested to leave town, in ohter words go be homeless somewhere else.

Car camping, I've done this a few weekends and had police approach my SUV telling me it was illegal, I knew in this town that no current law or statute existed they were attempting to do so, but it wasn't yet in play, always standing up for the other guy, I said what do you guys do w/ someone who is homeless or can't afford housing, one officer quipped tell them to get a job.

Disturbing because I'm seeing this attitude across the US, that it's not my problem someone is homeless but you must get out of my sight! Even though I personally am not homeless, it's painfully obvious most of us aren't far from it and if they continue to make laws against being homeless, or RVin'g, Car camping etc where will be go between the land being snapped up, and even places once friendly to Car campers and RV'ers for over night stays like WalMart are starting to change their policies. I understand there are man people who are dirt bags out there causing issues, but the majority behave responsibly.

What are we doing to ourselves people.
It's simple supply vs demand. You and I may not like it, but it is what it is. Obviously landlords will charge what the market will bear, those that cannot afford it will move to areas further away from the city. It's just reversed "white flight".

Old 05-16-2016, 06:04 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2279 View Post
I receive a disability pension from the VA, additional stipend while I am sent back to school, and collect monthly dividends from investments, all which bring me up to about what the States average annual income is.
You need to move. Colorado is not a good place for people living on a fixed income. Places like Atlanta and Detroit have inexpensive housing. If you really want to stay in Colorado, check out Pueblo.

Quote:
to buy even w/ top notch credit you must put down around 20%-30% down, if the average home in the US costs $200K that's $40K-$60K and if rent in US is so high to where we area already paying 30%+ of our income then saving for that down payment is not even possible.
If you have top credit, you can put down 5%. If you want to stay in Colorado, then you need to buy. A mortgage is the only legal rent control in Colorado. My monthly payment hasn't increased since I moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver