Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 01:17 PM

112 posts, read 124,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
There is a paved road you can drive up for Mt Evans, but not everyone is comfortable with that drive. With Pikes Peak, you can take the cog railway up if you prefer not to to drive although there is also a road you can drive.

Pretty sure both are likely to have snow.

I think either is great, so whichever fits your schedule best would be fine.
i keep reading about this drive, I am curious.. is it like driving to like Carbondale. I felt sort of uncomfortable driving from Carbondale to Aspen, specially when the sun started to go down. I am assuming not, but i'd like to know how how bad is it in comparison?

Do you think Pikes Peak is a less scary drive? I am the scary cat here, not my parents or husband lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 01:24 PM

914 posts, read 2,206,654 times
The snow pack is somewhat heavier this year, but even so snow is not likely on Pikes Peak in July except in deep shadow areas on the north face. The nice thing about Pikes Peak is that you can also see Garden of the Gods. Both can be seen in a day from Denver.

In Denver itself I really enjoy the botanical garden.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:32 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,278 times
Check this site out.

Denver Colorado Vacations & Conventions | VISIT DENVER

Old 06-01-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
The snow pack is somewhat heavier this year, but even so snow is not likely on Pikes Peak in July except in deep shadow areas on the north face. The nice thing about Pikes Peak is that you can also see Garden of the Gods. Both can be seen in a day from Denver.

In Denver itself I really enjoy the botanical garden.
what about the drives?, I am genuinely concerned that my fear of going up and losing control of the car might keep me from actually going.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:01 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedotcuzo View Post
i keep reading about this drive, I am curious.. is it like driving to like Carbondale. I felt sort of uncomfortable driving from Carbondale to Aspen, specially when the sun started to go down. I am assuming not, but i'd like to know how how bad is it in comparison?
Are you talking about Rt 82 south east from Carbondale to Aspen? That is NOT mountain driving. LOL.

Quote:
Do you think Pikes Peak is a less scary drive? I am the scary cat here, not my parents or husband lol.
In light of the above, Pikes Peak is a much more scary drive. Don't drive up Pikes Peak. If you want to see it, take the cog railroad. You could do that and Garden of the Gods in a day, and more.

We usually take guests to Garden of the Gods on their first day because it's an easy stroll while they adjust to the altitude. We often throw Golden in there as well for the same reason. We try to take it easy the first couple of days.

I would definitely consider Estes Park and RMNP. I just love the view of the mountains from Estes Park. In the park there are some nice mountain views from the first few miles of Trail Ridge Rd before the road turns scary. Of course if you could put someone else behind the wheel who doesn't mind, the views from the scary part are super spectacular and you would probably see snow. We normally get to the park early before the crowds are too bad. Our guests wanted to hike so we would leave early and get them there by 8:30 a.m. so they could be done hiking by noon before the storms arrived. Then we'd be back home in SE Aurora before evening rush hour. It's an easy drive getting there.

Last edited by Gorges; 06-01-2016 at 02:09 PM..

Old 06-01-2016, 02:02 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:

No. The road up Mount Evans narrows considerably past Summit Lake and there are spots with no shoulder and no guardrail. You're literally on the edge of the hillside. Accidents on Evans are rare, but if you're afraid of heights it'll test your fortitude. Cyclists on Mt. Evans are a complete PITA and make driving on the road miserable because cars back up behind them in a hurry (especially going up). I really wish they'd designate "bike only" times on the road because sharing it with them sucks big time.

Pikes Peak Highway is similar, but a smidge wider and better maintained. Still plenty of spots with no shoulder, no guardrail, and dropoffs above timberline.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
No. The road up Mount Evans narrows considerably past Summit Lake and there are spots with no shoulder and no guardrail. You're literally on the edge of the hillside. Accidents on Evans are rare, but if you're afraid of heights it'll test your fortitude. Cyclists on Mt. Evans are a complete PITA and make driving on the road miserable because cars back up behind them in a hurry (especially going up). I really wish they'd designate "bike only" times on the road because sharing it with them sucks big time.

Pikes Peak Highway is similar, but a smidge wider and better maintained. Still plenty of spots with no shoulder, no guardrail, and dropoffs above timberline.
Holly Molly... I am totally freaked out.

I don't think my husband will mind the drive, but we are taking two cars, which means I will end up driving one of them.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Are you talking about Rt 82 south east from Carbondale to Aspen? That is NOT mountain driving. LOL.

In light of the above, Pikes Peak is a much more scary drive. Don't drive up Pikes Peak. If you want to see it, take the cog railroad. You could do that and Garden of the Gods in a day, and more.

We usually take guests to Garden of the Gods on their first day because it's an easy stroll while they adjust to the altitude. We often throw Golden in there as well for the same reason. We try to take it easy the first couple of days.

I would definitely consider Estes Park and RMNP. I just love the view of the mountains from Estes Park. In the park there are some nice mountain views from the first few miles of Trail Ridge Rd before the road turns scary. Of course if you could put someone else behind the wheel who doesn't mind, the views from the scary part are super spectacular and you would probably see snow. We normally get to the park early before the crowds are too bad. Our guests wanted to hike so we would leave early and get them there by 8:30 a.m. so they could be done hiking by noon before the storms arrived. Then we'd be back home in SE Aurora before evening rush hour. It's an easy drive getting there.
I think I am pretty set on taking the cog railroad.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:24 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
I think I am pretty set on taking the cog railroad.
I've been up both in a car, but I wasn't the one driving. I would never be able to handle it. So I second this decision!

Old 06-01-2016, 02:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
walk, look, historical, natural, food LOL.

they're pretty much into everything!
As far as food, they might like the Buckhorn Exchange, on the west side of downtown. My parents (from Pittsburgh) loved it and had to go there every time they visited. It's the oldest continually running restaurant in Denver, with Liquor License #1. If so inclined for Mexican fast food with entertainment, Casa Bonita is iconic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I've been up both in a car, but I wasn't the one driving. I would never be able to handle it. So I second this decision!
My brakes started to burn out coming down Pike's Peak. I def. agree with the cog railroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver