Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 06:31 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,866,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Get out of the city/DTC and head to boring old suburbs like Wheat Ridge (but not on 38th ) and Northglenn. Pull up a chair at a bar, and this smug you expect to see will simply not. be. there.
I agree with you 100% with South Arvada, Wheat Ridge and Lakewood. They are less smug and pretentious in general

I am quite familiar with Wheat Ridge. Wheat Ridge until recently had a very different demographic then Denver. I don't know what spill over there has been from NW Denver.

I am not complaining at all and like the fact it has a much larger older population then the rest of the metro area. It also is far, far less transient then most of the Denver metro area.

I would say the same with South Arvada and much of Lakewood. The people in general have been in the state longer and it's less transient and slower paced.

Jefferson County in general has alot more people who were born in Colorado or moved to Colorado from the 1960s to 1980s.

Jefferson County has had the smaller paced and old-fashioned feel to it in my opinion. It is much less transient in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 07:28 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I am not complaining at all

Of course the irony of this thread is that if anyone is being smug, it's the guy who is telling everyone that they've paid too much for houses and live in an overrated city. Imagine how smug he'd say I was if I went to the Omaha forum and did the same.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post

Of course the irony of this thread is that if anyone is being smug, it's the guy who is telling everyone that they've paid too much for houses and live in an overrated city. Imagine how smug he'd say I was if I went to the Omaha forum and did the same.
Exactly. He's saying basically that Denver is somehow unworthy of the prices. Tell that to everyone who is moving here. Currently the market supports the prices.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:03 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,361,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Get out of the city/DTC and head to boring old suburbs like Wheat Ridge (but not on 38th ) and Northglenn. Pull up a chair at a bar, and this smug you expect to see will simply not. be. there.
Totally agree with this. I lived in Denver and now live near Golden. I liked living in Denver, but I love where I live now. People in general just seem more 'real' (for lack of a better word).

Old 06-21-2016, 09:11 AM

760 posts, read 883,915 times
^ I have noticed that even in some of the establishments. For indoor climbing, I will drive out of my way to go to Earth Treks instead of the gyms in Denver or Boulder. I went to Earth Treks alone once and found some new climbing friends within 15 mins. Some guy actually came up to me and asked if I needed a catch and introduced me to all of my climbing friends...something that would never happen at the gyms in Denver or Boulder.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:53 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times
Here is the smug thread. Anyone notice how smug Denver has become

Old 07-15-2016, 09:06 AM

4 posts, read 4,715 times
Denver is ridiculously expensive. I lived there for two years and moved back to Omaha and was completely shocked at how much more my money goes than it does in Denver!

Old 07-15-2016, 12:38 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith1986 View Post
Denver is ridiculously expensive. I lived there for two years and moved back to Omaha and was completely shocked at how much more my money goes than it does in Denver!
Yes it has gotten expensive. From my perspective it is still relatively affordable. I moved here from Southern California.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:30 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,194,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Yes it has gotten expensive. From my perspective it is still relatively affordable. I moved here from Southern California.
Denver is also relatively affordable to NYC, Hong Kong, and London. But that's not a sound method for measuring affordability of a region. Those areas' higher COL is usually accompanied by higher median salaries. Denver, however, is not relatively affordable to the median incomes that companies offer in Denver. That's because large swarms of outside money has come in and gobbled up the majority of local housing inventory, thus driving up the prices beyond reach of average people who live here.

Side rant: (not referring to your comment specifically) Those who advocate the free market system are either privileged or lying to themselves. We don't live in a free market system. We live in an oligarchy. The top percentile of wealth holders essentially dictate the rest of our lives. The rapid and significant price increases are impacting everyday people's livelihoods. People who have lived here most of their lives cannot afford to live here any longer. My roommate is one of those people. What are they supposed to do? Quit their jobs and move their entire lives across country to some "cheap" COL area? What if they don't have the luxury of doing that? I know that I can't just quit my job on a whim. I can't just demand XXX salary because of the COL. I have student loan payments, a house I'd have to sell, and other bills. My entire support network and professional network is pretty much established here.

We live in a rigged system. If you don't have $$$, you don't have all the "freedom" that we're led to believe that we have. You're basically at the disposal of the top percentage of wealth holders. If they decide they want to buy up all the land around you and price you out of living in your home, they can do that.

Last edited by SQL; 07-15-2016 at 02:09 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 02:20 PM

56 posts, read 60,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
That's because large swarms of outside money has come in and gobbled up the majority of local housing inventory, thus driving up the prices beyond reach of average people who live here.
I prefer living around people with cash, because then it motivates me to want to offer those people great services which will then cause them to depart with their cash.

I don't want anything to do with average people. I wish they would all leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver