Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 10:46 PM

11 posts, read 14,606 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Denver this summer so I'm looking at different neighborhoods that I would like to live in.

Location is a priority, I want to feel like I'm in a central, vibrant part of Denver. The apartments in the neighborhoods that I've narrowed it down to (Cap Hill, Golden Triangle, Baker, Speer, Highland) all have a distinct shortage of parking or require a monthly fee for parking.

How easy is it to find street parking in these areas? I can already imagine a situation that it would be difficult if I ever got home late at night after everyone else is already home and there would be no street parking available.

I know that I'll have to make compromises with my housing decision, but I want to know what I'm up against in terms of parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 07:16 AM

255 posts, read 200,488 times
Parking will be a scarce resource in most of those areas near downtown. Some days you might find yourself lucky and find parking right near your building. But don't be surprised if there are several days you need to park several blocks from home. Some of the neighborhoods now enforce permit parking entitled to residents to help with the problem, but there is still a shortage of street parking nonetheless.

If I were you, I'd find a place with a parking lot/garage. You'll pay a premium for the convenience in most cases, but if you have the extra money (usually ~$100+/mo), you'll be grateful for it.

FWIW, Highland and Baker area will probably be the easiest places to find street parking. That's based on my own experience. Parking is becoming more elusive in Golden Triangle and Speer as they build more and more high-rise communities.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:41 AM

11 posts, read 14,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerist View Post
Parking will be a scarce resource in most of those areas near downtown. Some days you might find yourself lucky and find parking right near your building. But don't be surprised if there are several days you need to park several blocks from home. Some of the neighborhoods now enforce permit parking entitled to residents to help with the problem, but there is still a shortage of street parking nonetheless.

If I were you, I'd find a place with a parking lot/garage. You'll pay a premium for the convenience in most cases, but if you have the extra money (usually ~$100+/mo), you'll be grateful for it.

FWIW, Highland and Baker area will probably be the easiest places to find street parking. That's based on my own experience. Parking is becoming more elusive in Golden Triangle and Speer as they build more and more high-rise communities.
Thanks, that's very helpful. It seems like places with ample parking have mostly been out of my budget, but I might stretch my budget if it means that I'll have a good parking situation.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:56 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,256,270 times
If you need to drive regularly, put parking into your budget and make sure you have a guaranteed spot. Otherwise, the hassle is so frustrating, it's not worth it.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:25 PM

760 posts, read 885,321 times
Also make sure you state that you will only be signing a lease with guaranteed parking, and that it is stated on the lease.

I've heard of leasing agents getting people to sign the lease (stating parking on the ad), only to then bait and switch right before to signing...or having management take away parking mid lease, and failing to point it out when they were signing.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:42 PM

82 posts, read 92,054 times
OP, my apt complex is near the golden triangle/baker area and offers free garaged parking and is a nice/great complex. PM me if you want more info/pics.

To quote others, I would hate street parking around here. Especially because of the vehicle break-ins.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:58 PM

473 posts, read 850,093 times
I would definitely require my own spot living in those areas. In addition to not finding a place at night, in general it's a tight fit for all. You risk door dings, bumper scrapes, mirror bumps on narrow streets, the occasional ticket if you forget to move on a street sweeping day, plus weekend events (runs/festivals/conventions) brings in tons of people that park in the neighborhoods and walk a bit to the activity - and not just in the summer (i.e. Broncos Parade, Women's March a few weekends back.)

In addition, when you bring in a bunch of groceries or a big packages and boxes, you'd be carrying them from however far you parked. Or, temporarily parking in someone else's spot (annoying if they need it while you're there), or getting in the way on the street if your building doesn't have a cutout.

Break ins can be random, but nice not to always have to think about it, or need to empty out your car of things that would cause opportunistic theft if left overnight (snowboard, shopping bag in back seat, etc) every time you park.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:14 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,882,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSailor4326 View Post
I would hate street parking around here. Especially because of the vehicle break-ins.
37.8% of all crime in Denver is "theft of/from motor vehicle"
DenverGov.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: