Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 04:13 PM

21 posts, read 18,705 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm a resident in the extreme southwest corner of Denver in the Marston neighborhood. I know lately there's been some buzz around the prospect of development taking place on the few remaining tracks of undeveloped land near the city, like rooney valley, rocky flats, rocky arsenal - which were previously off limits.

I was hoping to get your thoughts on the prospect of new development on the federal land owned by the federal bureau of prisons just north of the Marston neighborhood in Denver. While the site currently houses Englewood Correctional Institution (which has no plans of closing to my knowledge), most of the land sits unused in a quickly appreciating location.

Here are some general questions that come to my mind, but any thoughts on this are appreciated.

- Does the federal government take land value into account when choosing to sell, relocate facilities?
- Is there any precedent for federal land sales with similar attributes in our area?
- Can Denver, Lakewood or Jeffco take any actions to encourage redevelopment/annexation?

Thanks for sharing your insight and opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 04:24 PM

760 posts, read 885,776 times
We are no where near the need to redevelop that land. The city needs to focus on infill by encouraging higher density development within the city center. We also have an endless option of space to expand east of Aurora. The land should stay as is. It isn't worth to build on just to add another neighborhood of McMansions, creating even more congestion of the freeway system.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:55 PM

Wouldn't pushing development out into the suburbs just increase congestion on roads and increase commutes?

This federal land is not exactly in the city center, but it's within the 470 beltway and has great access to 285. It also wouldn't necessarily be mcmansions either - it's adjacent to some great sports facilities, and there was even a new bmx track recently approved right next door so I think it could support higher density development. There's already a good deal of multi-family housing in the area.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:10 PM

This story from The Coloradoan shows we may be taking a step forward on development on these type of tracks.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:05 PM

26,245 posts, read 49,145,261 times
Anything new in Denver in the way of INFILL?

A story in today's NY Times tells of major tax breaks in the 2017 tax cut package to foster development in areas called "opportunity zones" in major cities. Story points out how a ton of well-connected fat cats are getting fatter with these tax dodging schemes.

Anyone have any insights on "opportunity zones" in the greater Denver area?

Did they ever break ground on that proposed "tallest" skyscraper in Denver?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:30 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,898,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
foster development in areas called "opportunity zones" in major cities.
https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...ent-recap.html
Hurdles remain before full benefits of opportunity-zone program can be realized, panel says
just do a 'view page source' and you can read the article

Old 08-31-2019, 01:50 PM

Can't get in.

But I did find this with my friend google.... Denver Opportunity Zones.

Looks like the "tallest building" project fell through as the developer failed to close on the land parcel.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Can't get in.
Of course you cannot.
But, you can ‘view page source’. I do it all the time.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Of course you cannot.
But, you can ‘view page source’. I do it all the time.
I cannot find anything called ‘view page source’ on my iMac and Safari browser.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I cannot find anything called ‘view page source’ on my iMac and Safari browser.
Right click in a blank space

https://ccm.net/faq/33026-safari-vie...e-of-a-webpage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver