Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:12 PM

11 posts, read 48,626 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone for the constructive feedback, it's very much appreciated...

I do find it a bit odd that several of you seem so sensitive on the issue of how I view gays, especially since it wasn't a topic that I even made mention of. Is there some type of massive anti-gay war raging in the area or something?

TJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:17 PM

386 posts, read 1,693,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by immovingsoon View Post

I do find it a bit odd that several of you seem so sensitive on the issue of how I view gays, especially since it wasn't a topic that I even made mention of. Is there some type of massive anti-gay war raging in the area or something?

TJ
Colorado is ground zero for the gay debate. And, more often than not, the gays lose. Have you heard of Amendment 2?

Romer v. Evans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last election Colorado passed a marriage protection amendment and turned down an initiative to legalize same-sex civil unions.

Needless to say, many liberal Coloradans are very sensitive about it all.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:22 PM

11 posts, read 48,626 times
I understand... thanks for clarifying.

TJ

Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Being conservative and urban is an odd mix, I must say. lol.
I'm not sure it is any more. The typical "urban pioneer" is usually stereotypeed as liberal, but we're really well past that stage in most of the Denver neighborhoods. These days, I don't think you can really make any type of generalization -- you can find a little bit of everything here.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:47 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,875 times
Being conservative and urban is an odd mix, I must say.

Orange County, California fits the bill.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:58 PM

19 posts, read 143,036 times
Immovingsoon...you sound a lot like me (I'm 28, white, single male, relatively conservative)...I'm going to be moving to Denver in June from Chicago. After having spent some time in Denver two years ago and going on vacations there many times here's why I'm considering the move and why I think you'd love it:

- outdoor activity...Denver people consistently rank the city as the best of any large urban area with the plethora of outdoor options. Biking, skiing, backpacking, hiking, camping...etc. You name it. LOTS of active and fit people. For me that's a HUGE plus since I'm a avid skier and love to dabble in the other stuff.

- relaxed attitude and young population...everytime I'm out there, I seem to meet the nicest people who have a laid back attitude. Obviously you'll meet snobby people in any big city but there seem to be less in Denver. To me (maybe some people differ on this) but there seems to be a highly educated, young population in Denver which is very attractive to me...a young professional.

- weather...I'm originally from Iowa but now live in Chicago. Winters here are brutal. It's not the snow that gets me, it's the below zero temps and wind chills. Denver typically has VERY mild winters (just do a search for average temps on National and Local Weather Forecast, Radar, Map and Report and you'll see). There are plenty of sunshiny days too and the summers aren't nearly as humid as here in Chicago. It's kind of a happy medium for the seasons.

- growth...there seems to be positive growth. I know Douglas County (south Denver) is one of the fastest growing counties in the United States.
Not sure about your particular job area but there seems to be a resilient economy in Denver.

I've thought a lot about the dating situation in Denver. I'm single so it's a big factor. I currently live in Chicago where there are TONS of single girls...most of them VERY attractive. But what I've found is that most of them don't pique my interest because they just don't have the same "outdoor" or "adventurous" commonalities that I do. Most of the girls in Chicago just like to shop and tan. Lame. So realize this...Denver is a BIG CITY. You'll find tons of women. That won't be a problem. If you are a nice guy, have a good personality and like to have some fun...you'll do just fine.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
Quote:

TJ
There was ammendment 2, but that was many years ago. I don't think people are really hung up on that now. As a gay man, I love Denver and it's very open and accepting. My neighborhood is about 20% gay households and straight neighbors treat gay neighbors like equals. Many churches in the city are also accepting of gay people. And I'll also concede that it's wrong to assume that conservative equals "anti-gay", because I have conservative friends who aren't.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:49 AM

266 posts, read 911,737 times
Quote:

TJ
Yes, I find it odd too. Why should someone say they are "conservative" and people assume "anti-gay" and "evangelical"? It's insulting and stereotypical.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:16 PM

306 posts, read 436,682 times
People in Denver are more tolerant and accepting than alot of places. It gives it a nice vibe. I would not say that it is liberal from an ideological standpoint. More middle of the road in my view.

I also do not remember the original poster speaking about his gay or anti gay agenda.

People made assumptions because he used one word. I found that fascinating.

You will love Denver, it is the best city I have ever called home.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHallDDS View Post
Denver typically has VERY mild winters
Yep, bike riding today at lunch, t-shirt, shorts, no gloves, no sweater, not cold.

I doesn't get any better than today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver