Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 06:03 AM

11 posts, read 14,182 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Denver. I'm a single mom to an eleven year old. Housing maximum is about 750K. We are flexible on location as we can consider both public and private schools. We want:

1. A newer home without environmental issues (expansive soil and fracking seem to be the gotchas in the Denver suburbs)

2. Good schools if we go public

3. Schools that can offer help with both a gifted/learning disabilities (most don't, we're aware)

4. We don't mind being a bit away from things but dangerous snow driving to get to the necessities scares me- it will be just me and my son

5. We are open to living in the city or outside with access (30 minute drive)

Again, we're flexible and willing to consider a variety of communities as long as I don't need to be concerned about physical safety, an well in my backyard, or my home cracking in two because of bad soil. School district is nice but not a must as we can, and probably will, do private at least through middle school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 06:22 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
How much house/land are you looking for?

Old 08-29-2017, 07:35 AM

401 posts, read 487,520 times
Fracking - Tends to be worse on the north side of Denver.

Expansive Soil - I once talked to a structural engineer who was doing an assessment on a house for me. He said the expansive soils are worse South and West of Denver.

Other Environmental Risks - You may want to look into Rocky Flats Arvada

Schooling - The best school districts are Cherry Creek, Boulder Valley, Douglas County, Littleton. There are private schools spread throughout the metro area so if you are going private you will want to go based on the school, not the school district perhaps.

With your budget you will have a good pick of places across the Denver metro area, Boulder may be out of your price range unless you are willing to go into a townhome/smaller house for that price. Cherry Creek, Stapleton, and Lowry (only if going to private school) might be worth looking at. Lone Tree and Parker might be worth checking out although a little further than the 30 minutes from downtown. Highlands Ranch could be another suburb worth checking out (although again further than 30 minutes from downtown). You may like Golden as well, I have heard they have some good private school options out that way.

I am hearing that the school and environmental issues are probably the two highest factors, so I would probably pick the school first then look for housing around that area.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:38 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Will you be working? If so, where?

Old 08-29-2017, 08:04 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
Couple of thoughts....

- I'd ditch the newer home criteria and look for a recently remodeled older home. The older homes are generally where the better schools with low environmental impacts are.

- Check out SW of Denver in the Cherry Creek District. Specifically the Cherry Creek HS. Close to everything and very safe.

- Check out around Boulder. Louisville or Superior specifically. Great schools, safe, and close to Boulder for entertainment. S Boulder would be nice, but your budget won't get you much.

- It's hard to help with finding a school that does well with gifted and special needs. I think you are going to have to narrow the list and visit.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2017, 08:07 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
couple of thoughts....

- i'd ditch the newer home criteria and look for a recently remodeled older home. The older homes are generally where the better schools with low environmental impacts are.

- check out sw of denver in the cherry creek district. specifically the cherry creek hs. Close to everything and very safe.

- check out around boulder. Louisville or superior specifically. Great schools, safe, and close to boulder for entertainment. S boulder would be nice, but your budget won't get you much.

- it's hard to help with finding a school that does well with gifted and special needs. I think you are going to have to narrow the list and visit.

Good luck!
Southeast not southwest.

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-29-2017 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Caps not working right

Old 08-29-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDenverGirl View Post

Expansive Soil - I once talked to a structural engineer who was doing an assessment on a house for me. He said the expansive soils are worse South and West of Denver.

Schooling - The best school districts are Cherry Creek, Boulder Valley, Douglas County, Littleton. There are private schools spread throughout the metro area so if you are going private you will want to go based on the school, not the school district perhaps.

With your budget you will have a good pick of places across the Denver metro area, Boulder may be out of your price range unless you are willing to go into a townhome/smaller house for that price. Cherry Creek, Stapleton, and Lowry (only if going to private school) might be worth looking at. Lone Tree and Parker might be worth checking out although a little further than the 30 minutes from downtown. Highlands Ranch could be another suburb worth checking out (although again further than 30 minutes from downtown). You may like Golden as well, I have heard they have some good private school options out that way.

I am hearing that the school and environmental issues are probably the two highest factors, so I would probably pick the school first then look for housing around that area.
OP here--yes, and I should be direct. Here:

1. We want a newer home with few maintenance issues beyond preventative maintenance. This will be my 6th and last house. I just want to enjoy it without thinking of replacing pipes, windows, bathrooms, kitchens, and waterproofing the basement. I love old homes but been there/done that.

2. We want to avoid expansive soils, fracking, and other environmental issues that may affect the housing value and quality of life in our home. I understand that we may need a soil expert and a structural engineer at inspection time--we're just trying to avoid falling in love with a home and community in an area where there are known issues.

3. A great school district would be a plus, but we can work around it with private education. My son has some learning needs that render him on/close to the autism spectrum and his IQ is north of 145. Even the best schools (the ones that work for most students) may be a poor fit academically (not because schools don't accommodate smart kids, but because they don't accommodate smart kids with learning and attentional disabilities) and socially (bullying!).

We can't live in a townhouse because my son plays the piano and we have a dog that barks at her shadow-- our neighbors would be fed up with us in the first ten minutes.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2017, 08:59 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
If you want a private school that specializes in kids with special needs, look at Denver Academy. https://www.denveracademy.org/page

Old 08-29-2017, 09:00 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDenverGirl View Post

bolded is incorrect. Stapleton has some of the best public schools in the state, and includes access to top DPS charter and magnet schools. Lowry Elementary (where my son went) is good. I'm less enthused about the zoned middle and high schools for Lowry, but people use the DPS choice program if they prefer a different school and most people I know are happy with their kids schools wherever they've ended up.

However, I don't think OP has given enough info to be able to tell whether Stapleton or Lowry are a good fit for other reasons, such as the very close proximity of the houses to each other, the very small yards (in favor of public green space), and also where work is.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avan2 View Post
OP here--yes, and I should be direct. Here:

1. We want a newer home with few maintenance issues beyond preventative maintenance. This will be my 6th and last house. I just want to enjoy it without thinking of replacing pipes, windows, bathrooms, kitchens, and waterproofing the basement. I love old homes but been there/done that.

2. We want to avoid expansive soils, fracking, and other environmental issues that may affect the housing value and quality of life in our home. I understand that we may need a soil expert and a structural engineer at inspection time--we're just trying to avoid falling in love with a home and community in an area where there are known issues.

3. A great school district would be a plus, but we can work around it with private education. My son has some learning needs that render him on/close to the autism spectrum and his IQ is north of 145. Even the best schools (the ones that work for most students) may be a poor fit academically (not because schools don't accommodate smart kids, but because they don't accommodate smart kids with learning and attentional disabilities) and socially (bullying!).

We can't live in a townhouse because my son plays the piano and we have a dog that barks at her shadow-- our neighbors would be fed up with us in the first ten minutes.

Thanks
OP here-- also 30 minute commute is ballpark for less than an hour give or take. We just don't want to be isolated or out of range of necessities like a grocery store, gas station, and god forbid, a coffee shop even if it's a starbucks drive-thru I telecommute, so we don't need to worry too much about a longer commute at this time. Driving to school may be an issue if we live too far away I guess-- assuming DS goes to school in Denver proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver