Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:27 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in Los Angeles area with my family and we have been ready to get out of here for years. I work in TV and this area is one of few places outside of LA/NYC that I could find a similar job to what I do now. If I was to get a job in one of these locations what is a good suburb to live where commute is easy and there are good public schools? Budget would probably be around $2000/mo rent and eventually $400-450k to buy.

The main things that we are trying to escape in Los Angeles is cost of housing, traffic, overcrowding and heat (we were still in the 100s in October where I live). We are outdoors people so anywhere I relocate to we want someplace that has access to good hiking, camping, cycling etc.

From my initial research it looks like housing isn't much cheaper there at least to buy. It seems like my budget wouldn't even get a single family house in most areas? We bought a 2 bed condo a couple of years ago in LA for $350k and it seems like that same money would still put us in a 2 bed condo/townhouse in the Denver suburbs now. I have also heard that Denver area has become very crowded and traffic is getting worse thanks to influx of people moving for legalized weed. But still I have to believe traffic and overcrowding is nowhere near what it is in Los Angeles but I'd be curious to hear opinions from people that have recent experience in both areas. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 01:01 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Visit and interview. Yes you can get a house for less than $300 that is small, and/or needs work.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Visit and interview. Yes you can get a house for less than $300 that is small, and/or needs work.
Thanks. Definitely plan on visiting once I can secure an interview or two. But 2-3 days doesn't always give an accurate view of the area.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:55 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Yes people are moving here. Yes traffic is getting worse. No it’s not because of weed. If it is, you guys are about to steal all of our people in California.

Centennial is a nice area with good schools.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Yes people are moving here. Yes traffic is getting worse. No it’s not because of weed. If it is, you guys are about to steal all of our people in California.

Centennial is a nice area with good schools.
I agree those people will migrate from CO to CA next year so that doesn't worry me too much. There still isn't 10 million people in Denver and I assume infrastructure is better then LA so I imagine traffic and crowding is at least better then LA and maybe it does thin out a little.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:20 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I agree those people will migrate from CO to CA next year so that doesn't worry me too much. There still isn't 10 million people in Denver and I assume infrastructure is better then LA so I imagine traffic and crowding is at least better then LA and maybe it does thin out a little.
Infrastructure isn’t better, and no it’s not going to thin out. It’s still much easier to get around this city.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:48 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Hello,

I currently live in Los Angeles area with my family and we have been ready to get out of here for years. I work in TV and this area is one of few places outside of LA/NYC that I could find a similar job to what I do now. If I was to get a job in one of these locations what is a good suburb to live where commute is easy and there are good public schools? Budget would probably be around $2000/mo rent and eventually $400-450k to buy.

The main things that we are trying to escape in Los Angeles is cost of housing, traffic, overcrowding and heat (we were still in the 100s in October where I live). We are outdoors people so anywhere I relocate to we want someplace that has access to good hiking, camping, cycling etc.

From my initial research it looks like housing isn't much cheaper there at least to buy. It seems like my budget wouldn't even get a single family house in most areas? We bought a 2 bed condo a couple of years ago in LA for $350k and it seems like that same money would still put us in a 2 bed condo/townhouse in the Denver suburbs now. I have also heard that Denver area has become very crowded and traffic is getting worse thanks to influx of people moving for legalized weed. But still I have to believe traffic and overcrowding is nowhere near what it is in Los Angeles but I'd be curious to hear opinions from people that have recent experience in both areas. Thanks
Your budget is fine for the area. Centennial is a good place to start your search as it is close to your potential job prospects, has good schools and plenty of homes in your price range. Eastern Centennial and Western Centennial feel pretty different from one another yet are both very good areas so check out both while you are here.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:47 AM

824 posts, read 705,784 times
Quote:
... If I was to get a job in one of these locations what is a good suburb to live where commute is easy and there are good public schools
Denver is tiny compared to LA. Denver; you can find pockets of ideal housing even in bad or none main stream neighborhoods. For a long time Cherry Creek is the best school district all others compare to. The Denver urban area, things are drivable and somewhat walkable, you can take your student to what ever school they want. Overall schools here are only moderate. Would expect video production employment is in the urban Denver area. Bet he worst Denver areas dont compare to the bad LA could offer.

The main things that we are trying to escape ... and heat (we were still in the 100s in October where I live).
Denver also has its 100F days in summer and will have -10F winter days. the winter thingy eats up a lot of people. Sorry to be negative so of late the winters have been dry, little snow fall. Kinda nice. If it snows most of the time it melts the next day.

From my initial research it looks like housing isn't much cheaper there at least to buy.
Denver will be less expansive than LA, compare current LA prices to current Denver. Keep in mind real estate has appreciated a lot in the last couple of years.

I have also heard that Denver area has become very crowded and traffic is getting worse thanks to influx of people moving for legalized weed.
-Colorado struggles with the cost of interstate roads while keeping taxes low. If you live here you will find the odd city streets passable. Key is limit your work commute distance. Consider living next to a lite rail station, even tho you may not use it that much.
-You see statistics that Denver has had thousands of new transplants but these numbers have been over 8 or 10 years. Your seeing some new citizens figuring Denver dosnt have that much "VALUE" as anticipated. People come here, stay for a year and leave. At the end of the Great Recession Denver was one of the few first cities that had improved employment, now many cities have more jobs. Pot is legal in several states now. For the average joe that dosnt smoke, `marijuana sales have not impacted their lives.

hope to see you guys in Denver if that is what you want
best of luck

Old 11-05-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Your budget is fine for the area. Centennial is a good place to start your search as it is close to your potential job prospects, has good schools and plenty of homes in your price range. Eastern Centennial and Western Centennial feel pretty different from one another yet are both very good areas so check out both while you are here.
Thanks. That's the info I'm looking for. Mainly what places have good public schools and are relatively easy commute so I can focus checking those areas out when we visit

Old 11-05-2017, 03:26 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Thanks. That's the info I'm looking for. Mainly what places have good public schools and are relatively easy commute so I can focus checking those areas out when we visit
You'll be fine really anywhere in or near Centennial. Cherry Creek Schools District is good as are Littleton Public Schools (both cover areas of Centennial). It just depends on what kind of house and neighborhood you are interested in. Eastern Centennial feels more cookie cutter, typical suburban to me but I have very limited experience with this area so check it out and see for yourself. Western Centennial is also suburban but the homes are a little older (70's) with mature trees. Littleton is just West of Centennial and is another good area worth checking out. All areas have good schools and homes in your range. If you like suburban, cookie cutter, you also might like Highlands Ranch, in addition to Eastern centennial. If you like more established neighborhoods you'll likely like Western Centennial and Littleton.

When you visit be sure to check out the Streets of Southglenn and the surrounding neighborhoods:The Streets at SouthGlenn .

Also check out downtown Littleton: Historic Downtown Littleton | Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver