Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 02:54 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
That's my biggest issue with the PNW. While it is a lot more beautiful than CO with more varied landscapes and a lot more green, the constant grey for 4-6 months out of the year would kill me.

I don't get seasonal depression anymore in CO like I did in IL. Even if it is cold here, the sun is usually out which makes it feel somewhat warmer. Plus, winter doesn't stick around. It snows, melts a few days later and you can continue going out biking or hiking.
This. And its more like 6-8 months of grey where you wake up in darkness and leave work in darkness. Most people stay in seattle for the weed and work opportunities. Not worth it in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 01:16 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused-again11 View Post
Are there any Washington residents, or East Coasters that moved to Denver and love it? hate it?
East-coaster until 3 years ago. I like the Denver area a lot, especially the weather. I feel like I'm healthier here because the low humidity and sun make me want to be outside doing something all the time. It invigorates me instead of weighing me down like east-coast humidity. The brownness doesn't bother me because it's the West. It's supposed to be brown. You may feel differently. I love being a day's drive from incredibly beautiful and diverse natural scenery. One downside is that large cities are far away, though the major airport here helps to cope with that. LOVE the lack of bugs and being able to sit outside in the evenings without screens. Not in love with the some of the politics and unwillingness to plan for the infrastructure necessary to support the growing population, or to properly fund education. Love the performing arts scene and that I can be at the arts center in 30 minutes, or at DU in 20 minutes for the many events that university has to offer. I like that there's a live, and let-live mentality here - not so much keeping up with the Joneses, and hardly anyone cares if you dress up or down or wear certain brands.

We were contemplating a move to DFW for another job and a family member there told me to stay put, said after living in Denver, we would hate the weather and the bugs. Very true.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:35 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
[quote=confused-again11;51267486]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Honestly you'll get better advice if you let us know what your expectations are, what your interests are, what kinds of jobs you need, and what your expected housing budget is.

Denver isn't like east coast cities. It's not as uptight/self-absorbed and the rat race isn't as intense. People here don't tend to talk about how much harder they work than everyone else or how great they are at their job. (Inside joke. You'll figure out who it's directed at if you hang around the forum long enough).
I felt this was the complete opposite (partly) as someone from the East Coast. Yes, it's true easterners are intense but they are pretty funny and loyal people. That for the most part does not jive well with DEN folks. Many of whom are snobby and talked smack behind your back (stuck up transplants or shallow people from the Midwest). Some natives in my experience were OK, as some of my friends who were from Texas. I've heard this can be bad with "Seattle Freeze" as well which I wouldn't be comfortable with. Socially, Denver is filled with people in their 30s who act and party like they're 18.

Some positive elements are yes it's very walkable and even better for biking. Weather is a slam dunk in DEN over SEA. Being landlocked in DEN isn't cool and the high altitude will get to you in some ways if you aren't used to it.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:49 PM

937 posts, read 744,166 times
I'm a believer in the energies of yin and yang/masculine and feminine and my sense is that Denver can be a more masculine-yang energy place. You've got the dry, rockier, rugged, exposed terrain and the very bright sun often shining. Very yang people are often attracted to the go, do, achieve, challenge yourself, push yourself, compete lifestyle that can go along with the athletic-sport opportunities here with skiing, mountain biking, climbing, hiking, fitness, etc. I think of Boulder as yang. I tend to think of Seattle as being more yin in that it's near water, lots of trees, lots of tree canopy/shade, darker days, rain. The Seattle Freeze in some ways sounds like it could be a yin-influenced phenomenon with people being more inward and contemplative or something. There are really pros and cons to both places. Some days, I close all my blinds and hunker down in the cool, darkness of my place to escape the bright sun here, and the feeling of everything so out in the open and exposed. I'm a much more yin person, so this environment can have an irritating effect, at times. I can crave a dark, gloomy day in Seattle skulking along some shaded, green, canopied walking path and then back to my hovel to pet the moody cat. Of course, too many days like that, and it could feel depressing, isolating, and stagnant. That's where a sunny, bright day in Colorado would lift spirits hiking with the dog or skiing and seeing lots of other people out in the exposed, open terrain. So where is the perfect place? Probably not many of them. I don't know. Maybe Santa Barbara.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:50 PM

26 posts, read 30,967 times
Wow thank you everyone. I really appreciate all the responses. While I don't know if I can reply to each one I've definitely read them all.

I'm a bit worried after I've read some comments... I love rainy days in the woods of Washington, mossy waterfalls and large evergreens. However the prices in Seattle now are insane (an apartment in an area I just moved from is now $400 more, maybe due to the light rail being built?) and I really like the wildlife in Colorado. So many decisions but I feel ready for a change of environment. How is the job market for all of you? We're a mix of techies and environmentalists, both have bachelors degrees. Thanks!

Old 03-22-2018, 05:13 AM

18 posts, read 22,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I can crave a dark, gloomy day in Seattle skulking along some shaded, green, canopied walking path and then back to my hovel to pet the moody cat. Of course, too many days like that, and it could feel depressing, isolating, and stagnant. That's where a sunny, bright day in Colorado would lift spirits hiking with the dog or skiing and seeing lots of other people out in the exposed, open terrain. So where is the perfect place? Probably not many of them. I don't know. Maybe Santa Barbara.
I thought I was the only one who enjoyed a good skulk and then a return to the hovel.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:30 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default No mildew here

Quote:
How is the job market for all of you?
Look to the left.

"The strength and diversity of Metro Denver’s economy will ensure the region continues to thrive in the upcoming year"
2018 Economic Forecast | Metro Denver

"Colorado Employment Situation January 2018"
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdl...n-january-2018

Not so good in "2018’s Best Places to Find a Job"
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-cities-for-jobs/2173/

Old 03-22-2018, 05:20 PM

937 posts, read 744,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcydarby View Post
I thought I was the only one who enjoyed a good skulk and then a return to the hovel.
You should try skulking in the shadows sometime. That's very soothing!

Old 04-03-2018, 03:02 PM

485 posts, read 324,509 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. I have been a long time lurker on city-data and this is my first post. I moved to seattle 3 years ago from the east coast with my boyfriend and we got settled, got good jobs, explored the area, but for some reason it doesn't feel "right".

I've vacationed in Colorado many times, and know some friends who live there and I always just think "what about Denver"?

Are there any Washington residents, or East Coasters that moved to Denver and love it? hate it?

I never wanted to be that person who jumps from city to city but maybe if I keep jumping I'll find my home right?

Thanks!
Hi there,

I know I'm late to this thread but just thought I'd offer my thoughts on these cities since I've lived in both Seattle and Denver.

I've never lived on the east coast, I've always stayed west (currently living in San Diego) but Seattle and Denver are two of my favorite cities. They both offer their own pros and cons and I totally agree w/ you in regards to the high cost of living in Seattle (I'm dealing w/ that same issue myself here in southern California) so I feel your pain. I also found the people of Seattle to be not as friendly...I don't know what is, all the rain, I'm not sure but I thought it was hard to make friends. I loved Seattle in the summertime, loved the water and how green it was. BUT that greenery comes at a cost ... all that rain, dark and gloominess. It got old after awhile.

What I loved about Denver: the amount of sunshine in the winter. It would snow one day and then be sunny the next...it always kept me on my toes. We lived in the area of Lone Tree (south of the tech center) and we loved it. I thought the people were nicer and it was easier to make friends. I wouldn't consider Denver a bargain place to live but it is less than Seattle. We loved the four seasons and the summer afternoon thunderstorms, autumn is great! Its a good sports town and a lot of outdoor activities as well.

Good luck with you decision and keep us posted!

Old 05-15-2018, 07:16 AM

26 posts, read 30,967 times
Noticing the abundance of crime everywhere around Denver. Is this normal? Car thefts left and right? I've lived in other big cities and never seen such sprawling crime. Is there a safe area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver