Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2018, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 5,840 times

Advertisements

We will soon be moving to the conifer/south Evergreen area. We've been told to stay away from any houses located on or near shadow mountain. Can someone please explain why shadow mountain seems to be a total no go zone?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 03:52 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
I used to live up there many years ago. My house was on a school bus route, so snow got plowed consistently early. It was a long drive down to Highway 73, but other than that I never had any problems. I'm curious to know who told you to stay away from there, and I'm curious to see if anyone has any recent input.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:56 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Who told you that?

Old 08-27-2018, 06:50 AM

We've had several realtors tell us it's not a good area because of snow fall and melt plus some local friends

Old 08-27-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoCO84 View Post
We've had several realtors tell us it's not a good area because of snow fall and melt plus some local friends
It looks like you've answered your own question. Are you asking us to verify this?

Is this the only reason why you say that Shadow Mountain is a "total no go zone"?

Old 08-27-2018, 08:36 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
If the variations in snowfall within Conifer worry you that much, perhaps the foothills just are not right for you. You never want to pick a place that is right on the margin of tolerability for an important factor.

I lived 15 yrs in a microclimate that dumped roughly 2 to 3 times as much snow as Denver got in the same storm. Winter was longer, colder, and roads were twistier and steeper. It was beautiful, but as with all natural settings, definitely not for everybody.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:39 AM

Yes, Im looking for locals to verify. We lived in Alaska snow for a few years so snow is not something I'm afraid of but I wanted local views on how much snow it gets and if it's difficult to navigate in the winter. We haven't been out to see it ourselves yet and see what road conditions are like. But we have seen a few beautiful houses (online) located out there and I dont want to write the mountain off without getting as much info about the area as I can from people who live there or chose not to live there and why. Just trying to do my due diligence.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:06 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoCO84 View Post
Yes, Im looking for locals to verify. We lived in Alaska snow for a few years so snow is not something I'm afraid of but I wanted local views on how much snow it gets and if it's difficult to navigate in the winter. We haven't been out to see it ourselves yet and see what road conditions are like. But we have seen a few beautiful houses (online) located out there and I dont want to write the mountain off without getting as much info about the area as I can from people who live there or chose not to live there and why. Just trying to do my due diligence.
The stained-wood-siding houses amidst pines bowl most people over. Reality causes the small forests of For Sale signs after winters with lots of snow. Yes, you need to visit and ask. Talk to people who lived there a long time, not recent arrivals who have no clue what can happen.

I noticed that literally every household had at least two high-clearance 4WD trucks when we first looked. I bought my first 4x4 then, after living in other foothill areas of Denver for the previous 11 years and doing fine with just RWD. The 4WD was necessary in our location. This will vary depending on the specific neighborhood.

Also, consider fire risk. Our road was rated THE most dangerous in the entire county, for good reasons.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The stained-wood-siding houses amidst pines bowl most people over. Reality causes the small forests of For Sale signs after winters with lots of snow. Yes, you need to visit and ask. Talk to people who lived there a long time, not recent arrivals who have no clue what can happen.

I noticed that literally every household had at least two high-clearance 4WD trucks when we first looked. I bought my first 4x4 then, after living in other foothill areas of Denver for the previous 11 years and doing fine with just RWD. The 4WD was necessary in our location. This will vary depending on the specific neighborhood.

Also, consider fire risk. Our road was rated THE most dangerous in the entire county, for good reasons.
Thank you for the information and I never even thought about the fire situation. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2018, 10:42 AM

I lived at the top of Shadow Mountain Road for five years and only once got snowed in. That was the Blizzard of 1982, when Denver got about three feet dumped all at once and we probably got more. I drove a front wheel drive Subaru, not a high clearance 4WD truck. Like I said, my road generally got kept clear because it was a school bus route and also I paid someone to clear my driveway. If a house has a really long driveway, then you probably need different vehicles. Like pikabike said, it all depends on the specific neighborhood.

People in the foothills are encouraged to clear 100 feet of defensible space around their house to improve their home's survival in a wildfire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: