Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 08:23 AM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

We will be flying into Denver Int'l. from Dallas after Christmas and staying in Estes Park and then Breckenridge - we'll be driving a good bit.

I'd like to rent something like a 4x4 Suburban, we could make a 4x4 Tahoe work as well, but at DI I'm getting quotes like ~$2,000-$2,500 per week with no guarantee a 4x4 will be available.

Are there some off sight places I should try?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 12:12 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
There are 15 or more rental agencies at DIA. I don't know if there are any in the region not represented there.

I'd suggest a general search using rentalcars dot com or the like - that bypasses the need to check each provider.

That said, vehicles like vans, trucks, larger SUVs etc. are both scarce and expensive at almost any rental outlet, and more so, places like Denver/ski country during the holiday stretch in winter. $100 a day plus add-ons, taxes, fees etc. would be about my lowest expectation.

It's just barely possible that local dealers might rent suitable vehicles, but as I'd rather tap-dance my way across a minefield blindfolded than set foot on a vehicle dealer lot, I can't say.

You may have more luck looking for a smaller SUV or something like a Subaru AWD. Or two such, if you really have that many people and luggage. If you only want a Suburban because it's "safer," good luck to you.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:56 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
This topic has come up before, I believe. You might want to do a search. There are rental locations off Quebec Avenue in Stapleton, which is a 15 minute drive from DIA. I know for sure there's an Enterprise there, and probably others as well. Could be locations even closer to DIA than that. Inventory might be a problem at these non airport locations, however. I think they usually try and keep all the larger SUV's at DIA during peak season.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:04 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
When DD needed a rental we used Priceline to get a rental from AVR off site.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:41 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
You can try an auto-share type service, where people are renting out their vehicles like airbnb. Something like this:

https://fluidmarket.com/items/4329

Old 09-30-2018, 08:07 AM

21 posts, read 90,623 times
When we are in Denver or CO in general we always use Turo. Many Turo cars can even be delivered to the airport (one in particular I've rented a few times has the car left in one of the airport parking garages). Turo is generally much cheaper than the car rental agencies, and you are selecting the specific vehicle that you are renting which will ensure you get exactly what you need. There are many awd SUV options currently available for significantly less than the quoted pricing mentioned.

https://turo.com/c/jeffc690

Old 09-30-2018, 12:05 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Having good mud and snow tires is much more important than having a 4x4. In fact, a 4x4 without good tires is more dangerous because you get a false sense of security. Make sure that the vehicle you rent has M+S on them. And you'd be fine with a FWD or AWD Subaru; there's a reason why 9 out of 10 vehicles on the road in Colorado are a Subaru (well, maybe just a slight exaggeration).

Enterprise has a rental site not far from the airport. Get on the light rail at the airport (A line) and go to the Central Park Station. Then call Enterprise and they will come pick you up. I called their office a week or so before my trip to set this up with them. Prices are much cheaper than at the airport. I've also heard that you can take the light rail to Union Station and there are some major rental car places close by. We like to rent from Enterprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver