Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 07:04 PM

177 posts, read 176,319 times

Advertisements

how the hell do portable swamp coolers work? i just gotta turn them on inside? it confuses me. keep a window cracked? really?

Meh, I think i'll go for it!

Last edited by jweb29; 01-22-2019 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 07:57 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default Remember, engineers know everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb29 View Post
how the hell do portable swamp coolers work?
Uh, that was covered in Thermodynamics I in college.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:11 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,405,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Can you live here without cooling? Sure.

Is it a lot easier in a house that has natural cooling like shade and low heat absorption? Yep.

Despite those who say they do without just fine, I find living without cooling to be enervated subsistence, long days where it's difficult to get much of anything done. Not really an alternative for most.
My parents' house had enough shade trees and bushes and was on a large enough lot (1/3 acre backing up to a large field) that the lack of a cooling system didn't matter. It never got hot.

My house, OTOH, didn't have a shade tree to the west, and was near the street on a small lot. Having the front yard planted with flowers and bushes helped--the air felt two or three degrees cooler by the sidewalk compared to the neighbors' houses--but it was miserably hot for a few weeks every year in July. I'd leave the doors open at night (I had security screen doors and patio gates) and sleep in the living room where it was cooler. I loved the fall: the house was cool and quiet at bedtime.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:16 PM

We survived for 24 years without cooling in this house and are still alive 7+ years later.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,301,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We survived for 24 years without cooling in this house and are still alive 7+ years later.
But your sense of humor has been warped.

I'd rather have no heat than no AC.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:12 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Yep, Dave, you've posted that pic more than once. It's obviously a house that could do without active cooling. I've lived in those. They're nice.

My house has shade for the first two hours after sunrise, and then could be used as a solar collector. No way to fix that issue, given the lay of the land and neighborhood. I bought it with no cooling and got through late summer and winter just fine, then found the first warm day last April to be completely intolerable. Dropped everything and installed an evap cooler, which works wonderfully and only cost me about $25 a month to run.

We'll all look for a massively shaded house next time, 'kay? But it's an apples-and-oranges comparison otherwise.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yep, Dave, you've posted that pic more than once. It's obviously a house that could do without active cooling. I've lived in those. They're nice.
You mean compared to our current modern house that "requires" AC?

On the other hand, my Depression-era born parents lived in a house in New England for 56 years with no cooling. Summers were miserable in that house. They survived quite well because they were cheap. Once they moved into the old folks' home with AC, they only lived a very short time. Coincidence?

Old 01-23-2019, 01:22 PM

Lovely shade of orange on that one.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:00 PM

242 posts, read 251,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb29 View Post
I decided it is not time for me personally to buy.

So I am renting. I caught my eye on a nice split-level home! It is PERFECT, in sloans lake, close to the city....

No cooling however.

I am wondering what are things to look out for if there is no cooling, and if I could get by with a small window unit or 2. Or perhaps a portable swamp cooler?
Grew up with No A/C and didn’t have it until last year in my own house. It’s unbearable like 2 weeks of the year here. Just open your windows and buy a fan, or enjoy the outdoors when it’s hot.

It’s Denver, not Houston.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
Grew up with No A/C and didn’t have it until last year in my own house. It’s unbearable like 2 weeks of the year here. Just open your windows and buy a fan, or enjoy the outdoors when it’s hot.

It’s Denver, not Houston.
It's unbearable a lot more than two weeks of the year. But if you've got a shaded house and are at work most of the daylight hours, I guess it seems bearable.

It's also not going to get any cooler here, nor summer any shorter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver