Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 01:20 AM

371 posts, read 1,211,707 times

Advertisements

I've googled this but can't seem to find a clear answer. I bought a new car in early January and the temporary tags expire on Monday. I literally just received the documents needed to register it today. The DMV hours are ridiculous- they all close at 4?! I'm going to to the closest one on Monday before 7 AM and hope that with it being so early I'll get in by the time I have to leave for work around 7:30.

If not, I'm going to have to take a day off of work just to go to the DMV . Due to some things I have going on at work, that's going to be the end of this week at the earliest. Am I going to have to pay a late fee or get into some sort of trouble if I end up having to register it after the 60 day mark? I did get a new temporary tag from the dealer late last week when I called and complained that I hadn't received the registration stuff yet, so getting pulled over is not a concern- it would just be when I go to the DMV to actually register. I'm in Arapahoe county if that makes any difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 06:38 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Relax.
Just make sure you go the correct DMV.
Motor Vehicle Registration | Arapahoe County, CO - Official Website

Old 03-03-2019, 10:05 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
If you have the correct documentation, you may be able to register your new car on-line, and get plates mailed to you .

See Motor Vehicle Registration | Arapahoe County, CO - Official Website for details

Old 03-03-2019, 10:29 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Here in AZ I went to the AAA motor club office and they offer a range of DMV functions...might be worth checking out as there's no lines at the AAA offices.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:52 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
If you have temporary tags to cover you, you have nothing to worry about. Dealerships are notorious for taking a long time on paperwork, and you’re actually supposed to allow 60 days for processing. Arapahoe County has a decently efficient process where you can make an appointment online and be in and out within 30 minutes. Book something early in the day so there’s not as much chance of appointments running behind.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:05 PM

371 posts, read 1,211,707 times
Thanks for the replies. I actually took the day off work today and went to the DMV only to find out I didn't have what I needed . I've never bought a car in this state so I had no idea- in my home state you can register the car at the dealer! This whole process is absurd.

I got a big packet in the mail from the dealer stating that it included everything I needed to go register the car at the DMV. When I got there, the person at the door told me I needed some postcard from them saying the title was ready. She said that I could check with them and see if perhaps it was ready and I just hadn't received the post card, but the wait time was over 2 hours! I certainly wasn't going to sit there for 2 hours to just check and see if they happened to have it ready.

You can't do online for a first time registration, and they only do appointments for driver's license services. I've checked on both things.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:38 PM

472 posts, read 432,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison21 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I actually took the day off work today and went to the DMV only to find out I didn't have what I needed . I've never bought a car in this state so I had no idea- in my home state you can register the car at the dealer! This whole process is absurd.

I got a big packet in the mail from the dealer stating that it included everything I needed to go register the car at the DMV. When I got there, the person at the door told me I needed some postcard from them saying the title was ready. She said that I could check with them and see if perhaps it was ready and I just hadn't received the post card, but the wait time was over 2 hours! I certainly wasn't going to sit there for 2 hours to just check and see if they happened to have it ready.

You can't do online for a first time registration, and they only do appointments for driver's license services. I've checked on both things.
Sorry you had to go through all this for a simple car registration. I agree that the process in CO is a bit unnecessarily complicated whereas in states like TX you can have the dealership do all the paperwork.

If you are willing to name the dealership it might be helpful to future buyers to double check and follow-up with them.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:28 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison21 View Post
You can't do online for a first time registration, and they only do appointments for driver's license services.
Cars and people are totally separate organizations even though both use DMV.
One is county and the other is state.
Do not conflate them.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:30 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
We had the same issue a few years back when we bought a new car and were ignorant of the system in Colorado, so we went to the DMV the next day thinking we could simply register the car. In every other state I'd lived, one can go to the DMV the very same day and get plates and tags, so it was quite surprising to learn that one has to wait weeks here while the dealership sends in the paperwork to the DMV. As others said, you can get an extension while you wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver