Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:10 PM

8 posts, read 22,697 times

Advertisements

Hi ~ we are thinking about relocating from Southern Cal. My husband will be working in Aurora.

We have 4 young children who will be in grades K-7th. We are very interested in good schools and family-friendly neighborhoods.

Where should we be looking? A 30 minute or so commute would be the furthest we would want to be from Aurora.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 04:27 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
im from socal myself and the area that had my interest first was Highlands Ranch. We've settled on Parker after some searching. Both areas are fairly close to Aurora and provide similar upscale suburban feel that you get in areas of so cal while still giving you the more relaxed feel that Colorado/Denver seems to have. They are both in Douglas County, which has a good school system on the whole, and we've been very happy with what we've seen and heard about the schools in the those cities.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:35 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Where in Aurora? Aurora is about 20+ miles north to south, so that's a big range.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:55 PM

8 posts, read 22,697 times
The address is 16800 E. CentreTech Parkway. It's Raytheon.

I hope this helps...that's all we know, sorry!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:00 PM

13 posts, read 62,689 times
I would recommend Piney Creek or The Hills at Piney Creek just off Orchard and Buckley (Arapahoe east to Parker). The homes are large (2000 to 4000 square feet) and can range from the high $200k's upwards of $800k. Both associations contain large lots (7k to 10k is common) and community pools and tennis courts. You would be 15-20 minutes from the DTC depending on where in the tech center you are going, you would be within walking distance (20 minute walk) to Cherry Creek State Park (miles of trails and a large lake) and the new Trails Rec. Center (has an awesome children's indoor water park), about a 10 minute drive to the new Southlands outdoor shopping mall (we love this place...every imaginable amenity you could think of!) and you would be within the Cherry Creek School District (one of the top disctricts in the state and nation). Also, you would be about 25 minutes from DIA (good for incoming family and friends!) and about a 25-30 minute light rail ride into downtown Denver from the Parker/225 station.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssunshinegirl View Post
The address is 16800 E. CentreTech Parkway.
Piney Creek (in Centennial) would be about 15 minutes South from the above address. Plus, you'd be in Centennial instead of Aurora . Airport Blvd. turns into Buckley as you travel South. The community that I am speaking of is near the intersection of Orchard and Buckley. I would recommend driving through the area if/when you visit. We love it!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:42 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside to Centennial View Post
and you would be within the Cherry Creek School District (one of the top disctricts in the state and nation).
thats what we were told but a little research on test scores and such showed that only certain areas of the cherry creek district really was "top" quality, while the areas in my price range(under 225k$) were just as average as brighton and other areas in the same price range.

basically, do your homework first on any area. cherry creek has open enrollment from what ive seen, but there is a limited period for that(and we missed ours already this year, so that changed our search around) and not every school is as great as the reputation suggests

Old 04-14-2008, 07:22 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
The southeast part of Aurora.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
only certain areas of the cherry creek district really was "top" quality
Actually all of the schools within the CCSD are above the national "averages" in regards to test scores/graduation rate, etc.. I never mentioned "top notch"...just one of the top districts; however, I was speaking specifically of the schools related to the area that I was describing (Piney Creek; The Hills at Piney Creek). These schools (especially Smoky Hill High with its' IB program and the newer Grandview High (state of the art facility) are towards the top of the district looking at test scores, etc.).

We looked into schools in Littleton and west Centennial and we were much more pleased with the CCSD. We have recently come to another conclusion. Test scores and raw stats do not tell the whole story. Look at how many "Colorado Teacher of the Year" awards have been granted to CCSD teachers versus other adjacent districts over the years. There is a reason why it is tough to get a "licensed" position within the district. They only hire the best/most qualified teachers and support staff. We have first hand experience with this...

Old 04-14-2008, 08:54 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Cherry Creek School District may or may not bet the best school district in the metro area, but by all accounts it is one of the better ones, and infinitely better than Aurora Public Schools, which is the local school district for where your job is located. Despite the name, much of southern Aurora is actually in Cherry Creek Schools and not Aurora Public Schools. Get out a map and check the boundaries of Cherry Creek District, but really anywhere within the Cherry Creek School District is likely going to meet your requirements as far as safety and desirability goes. Aurora does have some bad neighborhoods, but few if any of them are in the Cherry Creek School District part of Aurora.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver