Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 05:14 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,906,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Pallisades peaches are as good as SC peaches. Try and buy them from a road side stand.

There really aren't that many GA peaches anymore.

Now, if you could tell me where to get some boiled peanuts....
Smokin' Yard's BBQ in Idaho Springs. They also have a Denver location that I haven't been to yet. They may sell the peanuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 05:53 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,824,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Ive had such BAD luck with the big beautiful peaches from CA. I think they often pick them too soon because they never ripen! Why would they make that dumb mistake??
CA produce, esp fruit, is picked green for shipping. Unless you live near the source where the fruit is grown, expect fruit that is picked green and "ripened" using gases injected into trucks while fruit is in transit. A phony "ripening" system. All CA fruit is mealy and tasteless, as far as I'm concerned. It's all bred for looks and shipping, and has little flavor and a terrible texture. Just my 2 cents. I live in Michigan, not Denver, but it's exactly the same issue, though I can get pretty good peaches in August from Georgia, a bit closer. Michigan grows some peaches, but not as good as the south.

The only fruit I purchase grown out of state are Washington State cherries, which are usually excellent.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:09 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Smokin' Yard's BBQ in Idaho Springs. They also have a Denver location that I haven't been to yet. They may sell the peanuts.
Thanks for the tip! They don't show them on the menu, but people mention free boiled peanuts in the reviews. Woohoo!

Old 08-09-2019, 08:58 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,906,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Thanks for the tip! They don't show them on the menu, but people mention free boiled peanuts in the reviews. Woohoo!
Their BBQ is solid, too. The line will often times be out the door by 1pm.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:58 PM

11,833 posts, read 34,454,569 times
I like my grapefruit sized Palisade peaches grilled.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:13 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,332,580 times
The Farmer's market opens at 7 AM.

My box of Palisades peaches is waiting to be picked up. I'll also get a few Rocky Ford Cantaloupes.

Colorado summers are wonderful.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:57 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,571,188 times
I had peach trees at a house where I used to live in Denver. Most years we got skunked, but one summer I had the sweetest, juiciest, softball sized peaches. They were better than anything I’ve ever had before or since. Peaches can thrive in Colorado.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:53 PM

577 posts, read 1,477,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
CA produce, esp fruit, is picked green for shipping. Unless you live near the source where the fruit is grown, expect fruit that is picked green and "ripened" using gases injected into trucks while fruit is in transit. A phony "ripening" system. All CA fruit is mealy and tasteless, as far as I'm concerned. It's all bred for looks and shipping, and has little flavor and a terrible texture. Just my 2 cents. I live in Michigan, not Denver, but it's exactly the same issue, though I can get pretty good peaches in August from Georgia, a bit closer. Michigan grows some peaches, but not as good as the south.

The only fruit I purchase grown out of state are Washington State cherries, which are usually excellent.
^ This. I enjoyed reading the explanation. I hate industrialized / mass-produced food like that. Same thing also in Canada. Forced ripening and other food industry dirty tricks. Everything for the mighty dollar, and the product is YOU. The greedy bastards don't care about a good quality, fresh produce (or any food product in general) - their main goal is prolonging the shelf life as long as they can, and at the smallest manufacturing costs, for the max profits. The resulting "cocktail"? Doesn't matter if it gives us cancers and other chronic illness. The sociopathic "corporations" which now have a legal statute of a "person", don't care.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:28 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,396,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I like my grapefruit sized Palisade peaches grilled.
...with a brown sugar and bourbon glaze, yum!

Old 08-12-2019, 03:41 PM

2,489 posts, read 2,712,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
...with a brown sugar and bourbon glaze, yum!
Had a peach Caprese’ salad over the weekend. Thinly sliced peaches, lightly grilled, fresh crumpled mozzarella and a mezcal sauce. Sweet, tart, smoky and creamy. All with fresh Palisade peaches. Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver