Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 05:32 PM

62 posts, read 77,997 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking in terms of Dallas where suburbs are kinda meaningless.

If its different in Denver, then yes, I'm curious about the pros and cons of the individual towns to the east and west of Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 05:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
NW has access to all things Boulder / Golden..(generally a + (except housing costs))

generally... East side;
is more 'industrial' / varied communities and demographics. (commerce / airport noise, heavy truck traffic, (road / warehouse construction) more blue collar jobs (and all that goes with that.. +/-) bars, car lots, bikers, 'coal rollers', refinery smells / pollution)

Westside (beyond central / adjacent to downtown)=
more "WHITE" collars and skins
more cohesive communities (and nearby town centers getting 'ate-up' by metropolis) Lafayette, Louisville, Frederick, Dacona. Other westside communities got swallowed by Denver 30+ yrs ago
Probably better schools and school choices (you can research that based on your specific needs)
Probably better 'resale' (housing), tho higher priced as well.
as mentioned.. closer to mtns / recreation (unless you bird hunt)
This can be important if you realize you have 3m people on the 'Denver prairie' seeking to be in the mtns every weekend. Minus those who are attending professional sports during weekend.And the couple people headed to Kansas and Nebraska. (a lot of the KS and NE people are headed to mtns too!)

Personally.. I like to be as close to WY as possible. (my recreational and cultural interests). YMMV. The week... I met (3) people while hiking on a nearby WY trail (<30 min from CO). In CO that would have been 30 people in the first 2 miles. (if I could find parking at trailhead).

BTW... I'm on a Dallas flight at the moment (pretty indiscreet metropolis) Denver is similar to Dallas (west side Denver seems more like NE Dallas / Plano... upwardly mobile society / communities) Eastside Denver more like Houston (oil and gas industry) SE Denver similar to NE Houston. Upward mobile and plenty of people / new growth.

For cities.. I prefer CoS (similar to San Antonio... large Military presence, and a lot more things to do / recreation very close by)

Thus my TX homes are near SAT, & my CO home near WY.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-06-2019 at 06:07 PM..

Old 09-06-2019, 06:07 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
I love it when Stealth drops by to take a big ol crap on...err I mean enlighten people about...a metro area he absolutely hates and has never even lived in.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:59 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett7 View Post
I'm thinking in terms of Dallas where suburbs are kinda meaningless.

If its different in Denver, then yes, I'm curious about the pros and cons of the individual towns to the east and west of Denver.
I don't know anything about Dallas so have no idea what "suburbs are kinda meaningless" means, and therefore, still have no idea whether you are asking about the overall Denver metro area, or if you are asking about the City/County of Denver and the individual neighborhoods contained therein.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:50 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
East of I-25 is more likely to get tornadoes.

The closer to the foothills you get the more bad air gets trapped against them so air quality goes down.

You don't want to commute driving into the sun in the morning or into the sun in the evening. So where your job is will dictate where you should live. Sun glare is real and will give you headaches and angst every day.

If your job is downtown and you have a limited budget, like $400K, then east, south or north of downtown is best.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:03 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,867 times
Living on the East Side

Pros
If you work west of you you never have the sun in your eyes commuting.
Less likely to have bad traffic since everyone is heading for the hills.
More diverse on the East Side

Cons
Flatter geography
Less Developed
Easier access to the Plains and Planes.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:20 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
East of I-25 is more likely to get tornadoes.
Actually -
1. The east/west dividing line in the City & County of Denver is Broadway.
2. The last tornado that touched down in Denver was in 1987 at the intersection of Broadway and Evans. On the southwest corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver