Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2020, 07:56 PM

264 posts, read 701,690 times

Advertisements

We live in Superior and are traveling to Pagosa to meet friends from back home on February 6th. Google Maps has the preferred and shorter distance traveling 285. We are considering going 25 to Walsenburg, then 160 to Pagosa. My concern is weather on 285 and just the drive at night in general. Anyone ever done this drive at night? Wondering what some opinions anyone may have.

Also, we are leaving after work that day (5:00ish), so I know 25 will be a mess until we hit the Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 08:15 PM

6,814 posts, read 10,510,104 times
If the weather is not active on/around the dates of your trip, I'd take 285 for sure. It's a nice drive day or night imho. If it is active, I guess it depends on where and how bad. If 285 is difficult, 160 is likely to be also.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:31 PM

317 posts, read 473,811 times
Wolf Creek Pass on 160 between Pagosa and South Fork will be where the weather is likeliest to be your biggest concern which you'll have to take either way, unless you want to drive very far out of your way through New Mexico. Wolf Creek Pass closes and has chain restrictions far more often than 285 does in Park County. I wouldn't take I-25 unless the forecast for your travel dates is extremely poor between Trout Creek Pass and Kenosha Pass on 285. You're far more likely to get into a wreck along the I-25 corridor due to the sheer number of traffic and all the construction between Denver and Springs than you are along 285, even with less than ideal conditions.

Regarding driving it at night: I've driven that route many times in all sorts of conditions. At night the only thing you need to look out for are deer and elk along 285 between Kenosha Pass and Trout Creek Pass. There are several large herds of elk in the area and they're often near the highway. The traffic is generally very low on that route, though, so unless the weather is bad, Park County shouldn't give you any trouble.

Also, Wolf Creek Pass will absolutely be the most harrowing part of that journey even if you choose to take I-25. That's a very, very long haul from Superior in the dark. The pass is very steep on the southwest side with several hair-pin turns. If it does happen to be snowing when you hit the pass drive very carefully and take your time.

Last edited by interloper1138; 01-19-2020 at 08:55 PM..

Old 01-19-2020, 09:13 PM

264 posts, read 701,690 times
Thanks for the advice guys. The wife and I were just talking about changing our plans and taking a half day at work and leaving around 1:00.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:15 PM

138 posts, read 266,104 times
Wolf Creek Pass is overrated as a scary pass.It used to be a lot worse than it is now,when it was mostly 2 lanes.. but, I don't think it is that bad at all now. The worst part IMO is on the South Fork side, where the road is narrow and right along the river. The west side is 4 lanes most of the way down, and is heavily maintained during storms. The snow berms on the side of the road are usually high, so no fear of going over most of the time. The "hair pin" turns are only about 3, and if you go slow, you'll be fine. I'd say the worst part of Wolf Creek is if you hit it at the peak of a storm, then it sucks... mainly because it can snow 2-4" and hour, which causes reduced visibility and the plows can't keep it. It rarely closes due to current conditions anymore, but will close for a few hours in the early morning hours during and after big snows for avalanche control.

Old 11-03-2023, 05:06 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
Hey Rover Chris how was that drive ? did you also end up being swallowed by Northern NM ? did you turn left on 84 ? and accidently cross into nomans land ?

Old 01-08-2024, 09:38 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
I think OP got lost ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver