Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 07:30 AM

48 posts, read 52,178 times

Advertisements

Hello folks!

We're moving to Denver after many years away, had lived here before and missed it!

I was wondering specifically what its like to live in Parker, as we are considering a move there. Love the cute and well maintained downtown area, but we are wondering what is the general vibe and culture in the town? Is it mostly families with kids? Any racial and international diversity? Age diversity? Any advice and insight would be most appreciated! Another spot we are looking at is near the Southlands mall, as there are many new homes in our budget there. Also seem to be many new subdivisions in the Plains Conservatory area but that seems very disconnected from light rail etc (at least from Parker you can uber to the Lincoln station!)

Most homes in more diverse areas such as Aurora in our budget are older and falling apart, so considering new homes but scared of being in an insular asocial community. Arvada is too far north.

We love being involved in a diverse and energetic community of openminded people from all walks of life, so wonderful how it would feel like to live there to make this very important decision. I've heard Highlands Ranch is very uniform and clicky (i.e. many stepford wives types) where a two-guy-couple with no human kids (just doggies) would not fit in super well. Is this true? How different is Parker from that vibe or is it the same? Are there areas of Parker and SouthEast that feel less super residential and mixed use? (i.e. not just rows of homes till the horizon)?

We like a converging public spot like a downtown where you can take an evening stroll and people watch.

Thanks so much for all your input!!! Its a big decision so appreciate all your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 07:45 AM

387 posts, read 638,222 times
Have you looked in the Old Town Littleton area? I think this might tick most of your boxes. I've lived here a year, after living in other parts of the Denver Metro, and love this area. I think Old Town Littleton would really provide that public-spot-people-watching; I've spent time on my balcony just watching the world go by. There's restaurants, places for libations ranging from sports to wine to live music to brewery to Irish. Any kind of shopping you might want (except grocery, closest is about 1-1.5 miles) Community theater, holiday parade, summer festivals.

And it's on the south side of the metro, which also seems a want for you.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

I hope this helps

Old 01-13-2021, 10:38 AM

405 posts, read 450,059 times
Parker is mostly white (though some Latino presence) and trends conservative. The mayor of Parker recently raised more than an eyebrow
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...osts-on-parler

The suburbs have tiny walkable areas you will find yourself driving to.... so a bit of a joke, really; like calling Disneyland walkable. They are also very white and tend to be on the Christian/conservative side. Given your preferences, you should look closer to Denver, or in Denver itself. The city has changed dramatically in the past 15 years, and I believe has everything you're looking for.

Have you checked out Central Park (formerly known as Stapleton?) It's a new mixed use planned community you may find interesting. VERY white, however. As is most of the Front Range. But it has a mix of younger/older residents, retired folks and young families. And a mix of housing options, everything from trendy loft type apartments to single family homes. Another option is the similar but older Lowry developments.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:57 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
Parker is mostly white (though some Latino presence) and trends conservative. The mayor of Parker recently raised more than an eyebrow
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...osts-on-parler

The suburbs have tiny walkable areas you will find yourself driving to.... They are also very white and tend to be on the Christian/conservative side. Given your preferences, you should look closer to Denver.

Have you checked out City Park (formerly known as Stapleton?) It's a mixed use planned community that has a lot of what you're looking for. VERY white, however. As is most of the Front Range. But it has a mix of younger/older residents, retired folks and young families.
Yeah Parker's mayor is a QAnon nutball. Douglas County as a whole is pretty conservative and lily-white.

The bolded is a bit of a blanket statement. Aurora is more diverse than Denver, and my US Rep is Jason Crow - a democrat.

Southlands is ok, but it's not very big, and once you get outside the mall the area isn't very walkable. There's an RTD transit center at Southlands that can get you to light rail, but it's not fast. If quick access to light rail is important, Southeast Aurora and most of Parker are out.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:19 PM

Wow, thanks for this prompt input! I am really reconsidering/rethinking about moving to a place where there isn't diversity of thoughts and opinion and an openminded culture.

For my budget the closest we can get to downtown Denver is Aurora/Centennial maybe parts of Littleton. Will certainly check out Arvada but we may also be priced out of there. Just don't want a run down home that will be a money pit! So while I would love to live in Platt Park of Cherry Creek, its just not possible as I want a single family home with a decent sized yard.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:01 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenonearth048 View Post
For my budget...
Which is?

Old 01-13-2021, 03:29 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
You mentioned that you lived in Metro Denver before and want to come back. Where did you live before? And why are you looking at Parker, Aurora/Southlands, and Highlands Ranch? Is it just because of newer construction homes, or is there another reason, like proximity to jobs?

EDIT: I just saw your other post, and it looks like price is why you are looking in those areas. Correct?

For what it’s worth, my partner and I would feel comfortable living in any of those areas. I know people like to make fun of “white” and “conservative” but we know a couple of same-sex couples who live in Douglas County (Castle Rock and Highlands Ranch) and they are happy with their choice and feel accepted in their neighborhoods. Obviously you have to do what is right for you, since buying a home is a commitment for sure!

Old 01-13-2021, 06:42 PM

My budget is around 550K for a single family home, and were considering new builds, so that is why we were thinking about Parker and South east Aurora. However, I have always been leaning towards more established older neighborhoods in Centennial, Western part of Aurora, etc more or less around DTC. I want suburban but with some urbanity to it anyway.

And when we lived in Denver before, we used to rent in Platt Park and loved it. if only we had bought a home back then! Totally unaffordable now.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:50 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenonearth048 View Post
My budget is around 550K for a single family home
Arvada

Old 01-13-2021, 07:59 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Ah, ok! I think you will have a hard time finding something like Platt Park. I know you know that already.

Another thought that came to mind; maybe try looking at homes that are near the W Line (light rail) as well? I really like Lakewood. You might get most of what you are looking for in terms of older suburban, diverse in terms of racial composition and political makeup/ideas, single family home, but would likely have to compromise on the cluster of shops (“downtown area”) unless you find something near Bel Mar, but even then, Bel Mar feels a bit artificial. I’m sure there would be places to walk to, like maybe a small shopping center, but not really that cohesive cluster of businesses like S Pearl St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver